Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 1 of 14
04 July 2011 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpG9RZgdxWY&feature=related

Though Merl Reagle does not specifically mention language-learning (he is a well-known crossword compiler), his idea of constantly carrying index cards and notebooks is also useful for the language learner.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 2 of 14
05 July 2011 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, William Camden, for the link. It's a wonderful idea that every language learner should use. Since I use public transit a lot, I always travel with a stack of flashcards, my language notebook and something to write with.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 3 of 14
05 July 2011 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Thanks, William Camden, for the link. It's a wonderful idea that every language learner should use. Since I use public transit a lot, I always travel with a stack of flashcards, my language notebook and something to write with.

Thanks. It is also low-tech and so relatively inexpensive.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 4 of 14
06 July 2011 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
I love index cards. For some reason, I liked using electronic cards for Greek and German, but preferred paper cards for Hindi and Hebrew.

Now that I'm starting French, I made an Anki cardset, but have been using index cards instead. The reason is I use computers too much for other things, and I mostly review cards lying on the sofa or while going for a walk.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 5 of 14
07 July 2011 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
Since we seem to be a little coterie of low-tech flashcard users, I'm curious as to how others use them. I, for example, find that the one word on front, translation on back format is basically useless and a waste of paper. Actually, it may be of some use at the beginner level. The content of my cards varies somewhat, depending on the circumstances in which I create them.

Typically, I'll put some indicator of a main theme, the actual word or expression of interest and then an entire example of two, with translation on the front or on the back. Sometimes even more examples on the back. I don't really use the cards for self-testing purposes (i.e. question on front, answer on back). So, my cards tend to be rather full and even messy.

TerryW
United States
Joined 6292 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 6 of 14
07 July 2011 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpG9RZgdxWY&feature=related

Though Merl Reagle does not specifically mention language-learning (he is a well-known crossword compiler), his idea of constantly carrying index cards and notebooks is also useful for the language learner.

I'm a little confused here. The video is about taking note-cards with you everywhere you go so that you can write down ideas that spontaneously come to mind, then you'll have a record of good ideas that can be reviewed later instead of forgotten. Yet, the reply-ers here are all talking about flashcards.

William C., in what ways do you see language learners using them as M. Reagle does, as I can't think of any.

On a side note, I often do Merl Reagle's and the NY Times crossword in the Sunday paper, and frequently do cryptograms and the good old "Word Jumble" puzzles in the daily paper. I was thinking of doing a poll here to see if language learners in general are also "puzzlers," since learning a language is like solving a complex puzzle.

I figured it would be a pretty lame poll, so I didn't ever post one. Some learn languages for business reasons, geographical reasons, etc., and might not be puzzle enthusiasts. But NOW I'm wondering if people who ENJOY language learning, and who do it as a hobby just for fun, might have a good chance of being "puzzle people."

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5604 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 7 of 14
07 July 2011 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
TerryW wrote:
But NOW I'm wondering if people who ENJOY language learning, and who do
it as a hobby just for fun, might have a good chance of being "puzzle people."

It is an interesting connection, but there is a danger about evaluating answers to that
on here. It may just be that people who are "puzzle people" are drawn to internet forums,
and the connection may not be to language learning. This is similar to the "what is your
personality type?" thread a while back, where there were quite a few "INTJ" folks. This
does not necessarily mean that INTJs are good language learners. Rather, it may mean they
prefer to stay home, work things out for themselves, and use forums a lot.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 8 of 14
08 July 2011 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
TerryW wrote:
William Camden wrote:
v=HpG9RZgdxWY&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=HpG9RZgdxWY&feature=related

Though Merl Reagle does not specifically mention language-learning (he is a well-known
crossword compiler), his idea of constantly carrying index cards and notebooks is also
useful for the language learner.

I'm a little confused here. The video is about taking note-cards with you everywhere
you go so that you can write down ideas that spontaneously come to mind, then you'll
have a record of good ideas that can be reviewed later instead of forgotten. Yet, the
reply-ers here are all talking about flashcards.

William C., in what ways do you see language learners using them as M. Reagle does, as
I can't think of any.

On a side note, I often do Merl Reagle's and the NY Times crossword in the Sunday
paper, and frequently do cryptograms and the good old "Word Jumble" puzzles in the
daily paper. I was thinking of doing a poll here to see if language learners in
general are also "puzzlers," since learning a language is like solving a complex
puzzle.

I figured it would be a pretty lame poll, so I didn't ever post one. Some learn
languages for business reasons, geographical reasons, etc., and might not be puzzle
enthusiasts. But NOW I'm wondering if people who ENJOY language learning, and who do
it as a hobby just for fun, might have a good chance of being "puzzle people."

Reagle is highly proactive and constantly on the go (someone else commenting on the
Youtube on the 43folder site where I first found it praised Reagle for his spirit of
"ubiquitous capture"). A language learner using index cards and notebooks in the same
way would probably be writing words in the native language down constantly as they come
to mind, then looking up the equivalents in the desired foreign language later. Or, if
in the country where the studied language is spoken, they would constantly be noting
examples of the foreign language on street signs, traffic signs, advertising, etc.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version