onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 7098 days ago

487 posts - 503 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 1 of 6
10 July 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
I've been using mp3DirectCut for playing FSI mp3s on windows. The keyboard controls let you jump about like using a tape it displays a crude waveform, so you can guess where drills start without messing around. So it's exactly like a using tape - except better ;-)

I'm in the (prolonged, somewhat painful) process of switching over to Linux (Ubuntu). Unfortunately, although mp3DirectCut is supposed to work well under Wine, it seems to be quite unstable.

Has anybody got a favorite MP3 player for Linux with these key features:
- keyboard "fast forward"
- waveform display with somewhat customisable zoom?

[I've been experimenting a bit with Audacity. Unfortunately some of it's behaviour isn't ideal. Specifically, the playback position reverts to the beginning of a selection when you press stop. Ok, you can press "Pause" instead. But then you can't fast foward/backward. And if you want to change the selection point to the playback point, you need to use another key. Fortunately that works while paused, but it's much fiddlier than mp3DirectCut's three-keys-do-everything-onebir-wants-to-do simplicity, particular when my brain's struggling with a drill. Perhaps I'll get used to it...)

1 person has voted this message useful

zonius
Triglot
Israel
Joined 4997 days ago

12 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, Modern Hebrew
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 2 of 6
11 July 2011 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
You can try SMPlayer. (It's also a video player)
It has keyboard commands to jump forwards and backwards by 10sec, 1min, 10min
It also has a feature that might interest a language student: it has keyboard commands to slow down (or speed up) the playback by 1%, 4% etc.
As far as I know there's no waveform display, but with FSI it usually takes me only several keypresses to get to the drill.

jarm
Australia
Joined 4847 days ago

33 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 6
11 July 2011 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Have you checked in the preferences at all the shortcut keys? They can be remapped in audacity (and many other programs on linux). VLC has a pretty wide range of shortcuts, as well. The benefit of it, is that you can use the scrollwheel on the mouse to track back and forward. I'm still not 100% clear on what you want, though...

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5065 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 6
11 July 2011 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
I don't know that I'd be using audacity for playback.

Audacity is first and foremost an editor.

The SMPlayer suggestion is a good one. There's also GMplayer that works nicely in Ubuntu and has all the usual keyboard shortcuts.

R.
==

onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 7098 days ago

487 posts - 503 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 5 of 6
12 July 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the suggestions. It turns out that Audacity's extensively (but irritatingly) modifiable keymap allows a close-ish approximation. Specifically a key can be assigned to "play/stop + move cursor" and the keys for moving the cursor during playback and at other times can be set to be identical. (These are different by default - really don't know what they were thinking of.)

Risking repeating myself, the reason I like to see a waveform is a) for finding the start of drills etc, and b) for saving time/boredom during drills where the gaps are over-long. Try it - it does make a difference. (And the usefulness of this visual information is precisely the reason the audio editors provide it....)

If it's stable on your OS, mp3DirectCut is ideal (it which works natively with mp3s and is lighter-weight and simpler for this application). But Audacity with some customisation seems to be ok too. (Not completely sure about stability yet.)

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5631 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 6 of 6
13 July 2011 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
If you're doing drills a lot, why not split them up into separate tracks? This is
trivial to do with audacity. Now you don't need to look at the waveform constantly,
which means you can stick it in a portable mp3 player and go take a walk/ride the bus/go
surfing while learning.

I've split a lot of audio material (e.g. from old cassette tapes) into more logical
units this way.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version