awake
United States
Joined 6571 days ago

406 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 9 of 27
04 April 2007 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Khatzumoto at alljapaneseallthetime.com suggests that it is better to avoid english on your flash cards as soon as you can. So Have the sentence (with kanji) on one side and hints/notes on the otherside in kana so that you keep your brain working in Japanese as much as possible. He said that he switched from having english to all japanese cards after 500 or 1000 or so sentences.   It seems to me that this is a better approach if you are ready for it. I think it would also be nice if you could have some recorded audio for shadowing.

The point that I don't get about this method is how one will learn the politeness levels and different speech forms. I guess that comes from immersing yourself with japanese TV and radio broadcasts which is another aspect of his method I think. The point isnt just that Khatz... learned to read several thousand sentences, he immersed his life completely in Japanese (only watching Japanese TV, converting his computer OS to the japanese language version, etc...). He created an environment where he had to learn Japanese (and then moved to japan!). He even talks about not going out with his english speaking friends during this learning time, so that he wouldnt be tempted to fall back into English only habits.

leosmith wrote:
I've been using a sentence method to learn Japanese grammar. I finish a chapter of my textbook, then I
1. Type essentially all of the sentences in all of the exercises, Japanese with English translations.
2. Print out the sentences, one column Japanese, one English. I cover the Japanese column, glance at the English and say the sentence in Japanese.
3. After doing 2. for several days, I import the sentences into Supermemo.
4. I make a recording of the sentences, in the English-long pause-Japanese-pause-Japanese-pause format. I play the recording without stopping, saying the sentence in Japanese during the pauses.

This method works well for me. I just completed my textbook, which contains all the basic Japanese grammar. It came to about 1400 sentences.

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 10 of 27
04 April 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
awake wrote:

Khatzumoto at alljapaneseallthetime.com suggests that it is better to avoid english on your flash cards as soon as you can.

I'm aware of the site, although I'm not using his technique. Notice I said I'm using a sentence method. He makes some good points, however I was well into my work when I read his first blog. Note that my goal was to learn grammar only, which is different from his. I was essentially modeling my method after Pimsleur, in the fact that it's L1 to L2.

I tried to figure out a good way to learn grammar using only Japanese, but couldn't. I pretty much need English explanations at some point. Obviously, I'm not going to re-do my work, but if you have a good suggestion on how to learn grammar L2 to L2, I'd be very interested in your opinion.

awake wrote:

I think it would also be nice if you could have some recorded audio for shadowing.

I agree that shadowing is a good thing, but how would you apply it to random sentences popping up in a flashcard program? Or do you mean have a list of sentences apart from your flashcards?

awake wrote:

The point that I don't get about this method is how one will learn the politeness levels and different speech forms.

They are just grammar points, and can be handled with sentences. Because I worked from a textbook with lots of pictures, I pretty much remember the context of all my sentences. But occasionally I would add stuff like "(said to an inferior)" to the end of my sentences.

I believe that Khatz has mentioned that his sentence method is only part of learning the language. There is reading real literature, conversation, writing, etc. His sentence method, by itself, is certainly more encompassing than my little grammar exercise. But I like the fact that I can be sure I've covered all the basic grammar, and I can produce it whan I need to.

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 7027 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 27
04 April 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

...I'm using a sentence method.

That’s the great part of use a sentence method – you can tailor it to your own needs. No need to fret about the sentence method.

awake wrote:

I think it would also be nice if you could have some recorded audio for shadowing.

In context with the above, shadowing strikes me as being another sentence method, effective in its own way.

Edited by Farley on 04 April 2007 at 2:48pm

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6553 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 12 of 27
04 April 2007 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:

Even children who use "the sentence method" in learning their first language receive help and constant grammatical corrections from their parents until they get it right.

Research shows that parents correct their children's utterances for factual accuracy, rather than for grammatical accuracy,

child: "look dog"
parent: "no, that's a cow"

and that the developing grammar of a child is resistent to error correction.

Edited by Linguamor on 04 April 2007 at 5:51pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6803 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 13 of 27
04 April 2007 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Linguamor wrote:
Journeyer wrote:

Even children who use "the sentence method" in learning their first language receive help and constant grammatical corrections from their parents until they get it right.

Research shows that parents correct their children's utterances for factual accuracy, rather than for grammatical accuracy,

child: "look dog"
parent: "no, that's a cow"

and that the developing grammar of a child is resistent to error correction.

I guess I meant though that children have help, they don't pick up the language in a vacuum, as it were.

Using just sentences and translations and expecting to pick up patterns is a bit like a child picking up a language without an environment of some kind to give guidance. At least that's how I was trying to put it together in my mind.

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6382 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 14 of 27
15 April 2007 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
What to collect? Here is my suggestion:

1) at first you must master basic - everyday speech sentences (about 1500 of them) that are in FSI and some textbooks.

2)It wouldn't be bad that you listen easy movies with many dialogs. Important thing - they must be interesting to you. Listen them at first with your native titles on, then without them. To be sure that you have understood everything you can watch it again with titles (I prefer funny soap operas)

3) After that you should collect as many as possible aphorisms and quotations because you want to read interesting things and not to be bored. Also, you will learn smart things and you get grammatical rules and vocabulary,too.

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 7118 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 15 of 27
16 April 2007 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
I am also using my own modified version of the sentence method. However since I only use content with audio, I prefer putting an audio snippet of the sentence in the question field of SuperMemo. In the answer field I put a transcription of the sentence and also maybe some translation/explanations of interesting words in it.
Then when I am in "learning" mode in supermemo I not only require of myself that I have to understand the sentence I also need to be able to chorus it with the audio.

awake
United States
Joined 6571 days ago

406 posts - 438 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 16 of 27
16 April 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Another thing you can do is buy japanese dubbed versions of american
shows with which you are already familiar. Whatever shows you like. LOST,
old Star Treks, whatever.    The same goes for american movies.   If you
already know the plot and have a sense of the content of the dialog, it can
speed your comprehension

MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
What to collect? Here is my suggestion:
It wouldn't be bad that you listen easy movies with many dialogs. Important
thing - they must be interesting to you. Listen them at first with your native
titles on, then without them. To be sure that you have understood
everything you can watch it again with titles (I prefer funny soap operas)

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version