Joined 4337 days ago

61 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*, Estonian*
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 25 of 31
31 October 2012 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Tere Josh,

I hope that I'm not unduly interrupting the flow of your Spanish log.

I put down a few Estonian sentences in my TID=20162&PN=1&TPN=25#409911">log as part of a little project and would be happy if you could check
them out. They seem correct to me but it's been a few years since I've studied Estonian and even as I devised them, I
caught myself starting out in Finnish rather than Estonian.

Happily! I'll go have a look in a minute.
1 person has voted this message useful

joshkaasik
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4337 days ago

61 posts - 66 votes 

Message 26 of 31
31 October 2012 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Just finished my Assimil for the day. Lesson 22 to L1 and 18 to L2. Going through the various past tenses and it's
quite helpful. Happy to see myself being able to differentiate consistently between the preterite and imperfect. Now
I'm just struggling a bit for lack of vocabulary.. Anki to the rescue.

Also, random, but I'm switching from iPhone to Android and I'm very excited about it, cause now I'll get a great anki
app on my phone without having to pay the crazy price iphone charges for it. Anki really is a brilliant thing.

Best update of the week is that I'll be spending around a month in Ecuador this winter, so I'll have plenty of
opportunity to practice Spanish. Looking forward to it!

joshkaasik
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4337 days ago

61 posts - 66 votes 

Message 27 of 31
04 November 2012 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Lesson 23 to L1 and 19 to L2 = done. I'm making more and more mistakes, but I suppose that's pretty much
expected considering the fact that sentences are significantly more difficult now than they were before. The first two
weeks or so everything was so easy that making a mistake would just be irritating, but now every time I make one, I
feel like it's almost because I underestimate my ability to construct phrases. Upon seeing the correct answer my
reaction is usually, "oh.. I knew that.. "

The newer lessons are going into a lot of reflexive verbs, which is fascinating, since I feel like I'm finally getting a
handle on those (however much I still have to learn!). Getting very excited about my upcoming trip to Ecuador and
having a chance to practice Spanish for a month straight! Just 2 days ago I spent a 25 minute car ride speaking in
only Spanish.. it was a pleasant realization of just how far I've cone.. (and theeen Assimil slaps me in the face and
makes me realize how far I have yet to go. Or worse yet.. I hear two natives talking about something where I
recognize nothing. Oh well, getting slightly better every day! )

joshkaasik
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4337 days ago

61 posts - 66 votes 

Message 28 of 31
09 November 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Wow. Anki works wonders... I can't believe how much you can memorize with this thing. I'm
not actually sure how much has to do with spaced repetition and how much has to do with
the sheer convenience of using flash cards on your computer/phone in such a convenient
way. I have a growing Assimil Spanish deck going that is working wonders.

Wish I had started Assimil a bit earlier, cause I'd really like to be going through
Platiquemos on my Ecuador trip. If anyone here has any experience starting Platiquemos
after having done a couple other programs... were you able to skip a few lessons at the
beginning or was it all pretty difficult right from the start?

joshkaasik
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4337 days ago

61 posts - 66 votes 

Message 29 of 31
12 November 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
So.. as it turns out.. Spanish is beautiful! Finding a lot of new music in Spanish that I like.. renewing my appreciation
for the language!

joshkaasik
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4337 days ago

61 posts - 66 votes 

Message 30 of 31
09 December 2012 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Haven't had a moment to post here for a while, but now I'll be starting a TAC 2013 log for next year, so
I'll be moving most of my activity there.

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5537 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 31 of 31
10 December 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
joshkaasik wrote:
Wow. Anki works wonders... I can't believe how much you can memorize with this thing. I'm
not actually sure how much has to do with spaced repetition and how much has to do with
the sheer convenience of using flash cards on your computer/phone in such a convenient
way. I have a growing Assimil Spanish deck going that is working wonders.

Wish I had started Assimil a bit earlier, cause I'd really like to be going through
Platiquemos on my Ecuador trip. If anyone here has any experience starting Platiquemos
after having done a couple other programs... were you able to skip a few lessons at the
beginning or was it all pretty difficult right from the start?

I can't speak for Platiquemos but I have used FSI Spanish Basic which is what Platiquemos is based on. I have to say that even after you finish Assimil, you will probably still find plenty of uncharted territory in either program. That is, you might be familiar with much of it, but being expected to know it and then drilled on it is something different. Also, the dialogs in FSI Basic Course are delivered at naturally spoken speed and with "natural" grammar. That is, unlike most other programs, you'll see things like the subjunctive from the beginning lessons with a note that says "this will be drilled later in chapter 14" and things like that. No dialogs simplified so much in the beginning to the point where they sound unnatural; they don't "avoid" certain grammatical constructions.

You may find this thread useful if you're not already familiar with it.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version