Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
Toothpaste
Guinea-Bissau
Joined 5487 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 5
02 October 2009 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Reading amusing stories and anecdotes in my idle hours. Unfamiliar word lists mined from books can be downloaded.

Save these lists as tab delimited text files, save in UTF8 encoding, then import into Anki as your own study materials.

English level: Intermediate to advanced.

Edited by Toothpaste on 13 June 2012 at 1:46am

1 person has voted this message useful

Toothpaste
Guinea-Bissau
Joined 5487 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes

Message 2 of 5
02 October 2009 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
One perfect day: The selling of the American wedding.

Comments: Exploring how the commerce-driven wedding industry tries to influence weddings for the benefit its economic well-being, and how the absence of religious and cultural traditions left brides and grooms seeking for meanings of weddings in the land of free (and rootless).

This book's broad samplings of American weddings and the inside workings of wedding industry are interspersed with illuminating insight of contemporary life in America, the author's tone is cautious, somewhat sarcastic, and occasionally chuckle-inducing. Worth a read.

Excel Word List: 135 in total. Unknown and unusual meanings, unfamiliar pronunciations, further elucidations on certain words.

Edited by Toothpaste on 23 June 2012 at 1:12am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Toothpaste
Guinea-Bissau
Joined 5487 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes

Message 3 of 5
22 October 2009 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Kokoro by Natsume Soseki

Comments: A slow-moving novel exploring a sense of isolation riddled with guilt, latent selfishness and sin in men. Fortunately free from maudlin angst.

But the problems the characters struggled with are distant to me, nor could I resonate fully with the characters' fears and anxieties, so it's true like the novel said: "You and I belong to different eras, and so we think differently. There is nothing we can do to bridge the gap between us."

Excel Word List:33 in total. Unknown and unusual meanings, unfamiliar pronunciations, further elucidations on certain words.

Edited by Toothpaste on 23 June 2012 at 1:13am

Toothpaste
Guinea-Bissau
Joined 5487 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes

Message 4 of 5
13 June 2012 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Comments: Relished reading Jane's time in Lowood vastly more than her falling in love with Rochester, perhaps I am rather dull-witted apropos romantic stuff?

Excel Word list: Almost 1000 words. Unknown and unusual meanings, unfamiliar pronunciations, further elucidations on certain words.

Edited by Toothpaste on 23 June 2012 at 1:14am

Toothpaste
Guinea-Bissau
Joined 5487 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes

Message 5 of 5
22 June 2012 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
Villette by Charlotte Bronte

Comments: Lucy is an "inoffensive shadow" indeed! Reading her sneaking around, faints, emotional repressions, objurgations and disdain against "Romanism" is the perfect antidote to insomnia. Little Polly thankfully provided some livening touch. The diction is thick, some might call it 'poetic", can't concur on that regard.

Mined a lot of words from this novel, glad to be done with it.

Villette Anki deck: 1500 words. Homonyms, unknown words, pronunciations, elucidation on difficult words.

Edited by Toothpaste on 29 June 2012 at 10:18pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version