Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6608 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 37
11 May 2010 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
...more forgiving or less forgiving of people who struggle with languages?

I don't mean you as an abstract you, I mean you personally.

To me learning a language is one of the more difficult things we do in life. I've been studying Italian now for about 9 months, closing in on 1000 hours and I'm really only at the beginning still. I took on this activity last year with high hopes and a lot of people's success stories in my mind, thinking all it would take is being systematic about it. And I have been, but boy it sure is a long road.

So it got me thinking about all kinds of people and where they are with their languages, many struggling to take the reins of a new language in an adopted country. And I think I'm inclined to be more understanding of their situation now. What's your view?
4 persons have voted this message useful

papytofu
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5158 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2
Studies: Mandarin, Latin, Spanish

Message 2 of 37
11 May 2010 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I think that learning language was for me an opportunity to learn to be open-minded. By stumbling against difficulties and learning about others cultures, I know understand the difficulties someone can go through. Being less forgiving would mean that I didn't learn nothing. Those who are always nitpicking don't understand that behind rules of grammar there is human beings.
6 persons have voted this message useful

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5306 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 3 of 37
11 May 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
If the person is truly trying to learn a language purely for themselves and for the betterment of themselves or family, then I am sympathetic to their difficulties.

However, if someone is learning purely because of requirement (college/schooling), I'm less sympathetic to virtually not at all unless they are truly interested in it. The same sentiment goes towards those learning a language purely for financial/military gain who care nothing about the people or the culture who use that language.

(People and culture go hand in hand with languages to me, I know some here learn and love languages purely for the language itself, but I see language as a gateway to people. I guess thats just the extrovert in me).

Edited by ManicGenius on 11 May 2010 at 8:26pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5269 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Studies: French

Message 4 of 37
11 May 2010 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Personally, it's given me more understanding and also appreciation for those who learn English.
14 persons have voted this message useful

nescafe
Japan
Joined 5234 days ago

137 posts - 227 votes 

Message 5 of 37
12 May 2010 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
I was educated in Japanese school. What was important there was not to make a mistake, and challenging something new was not encouradged, rather regarded deviation from the norm. I do not know if it is a universal school teascher's atittude or peculiar one to Japanese school. However, when speaking a foreing language, it is inevitable to make mistakes. To speak a language only after mastering it perfectly is utterly unrealistic. Language learning made me not being afraid of mistakes, no matter if it is other's or mine. I feel myself got released from a cultural perfectionist obsession sticking to my country, thanks to language learning.
15 persons have voted this message useful

LtM
Triglot
United States
Joined 5685 days ago

130 posts - 223 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 6 of 37
12 May 2010 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
I've been interested in foreign languages for a very long time, so I have always been interested in and appreciative of those who come to the US and and are in the process of learning English. Unfortunately, a lot of Americans don't seem to want to see past the limited English skills of immigrants, to the intelligent and knowledgeable foreign-language speakers within. That bothers me a lot. Through studying languages, I know what it is like to be an intelligent adult and yet sound like a two-year old in a foreign language. And that is what it is like foreign speakers who come here, until they become more skilled in English. Poor ESL skills don't have anything to do with a person's intelligence, decency, or any other personality trait. I wish more people would understand that.

However, things are a bit different when it comes to Americans learning a language other than English. I generally very much appreciate the efforts of those who are learning/have learned to speak a foreign language here. But humility goes a long way. I always mentally roll my eyes when someone volunteers to me that they're “fluent” in X. My observation has been that those who -do- speak one or more foreign languages …
1) don't brag about it
2) don't use the word “fluent”.

I've met plenty of advanced or native speakers who, if questioned, will say they “speak” X. However, when I meet someone who volunteers that they are “fluent” in X, it always turns out that their skills are, in my opinion, pretty weak. It's given me a real distaste for that word.
15 persons have voted this message useful

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5198 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 7 of 37
12 May 2010 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
brian91 wrote:
Personally, it's given me more understanding and also appreciation for those who learn English.

Precisely this, and what LtM said about people not looking past peoples' occasionally poor EFL skills. At around the time I started to look into foreign languages I realised how irregular English pronunciation is, which fully explained some dodgy pronunciation I'd heard. I'm currently living with foreigners of my age (19) with whom I can have detailed conversation, and I admire them for that. I'm not sure the case would've been quite the same if not for my new interest in languages.
4 persons have voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 8 of 37
12 May 2010 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
I certainly have more of an appreciation, and more empathy, for those attempting to learn English.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version