Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Dictionaries for language learning

Tags: Poll | Dictionaries
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Which kind of dictionaries do you use for language learning?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [22.54%]
25 [35.21%]
15 [21.13%]
8 [11.27%]
7 [9.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

16 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5693 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 16
16 October 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Multiple answers are allowed in this poll.

I use all categories besides online dictionaries, so I gave 4 votes.

I have been browsing through paper dictionaries all my life long, so this suits me well. And I can carry them around with me for example to the library or to a café where I want to study. I see no personal advantage in online dictionaries. They are cheaper, OK.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 October 2010 at 4:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5721 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 2 of 16
16 October 2010 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Now days I just use online dictionaries instead of paper ones. They are just quick and easier to use in my opinion.

fireflies
Joined 5027 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 16
17 October 2010 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
Does anyone else sometimes use wikipedia as a dictionary by switching the language of an article?

I use both online and paper ones.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5770 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 4 of 16
17 October 2010 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
I use both paper and online dictionaries for Spanish and Swedish, but I can only use online dictionaries for Afrikaans and Finnish. I use bilingual dictionaries though usually try to use the L2>English side more often. I tried to to use a monolingual Spanish dictionary a few times but I was not ready for that and become very confused, and I can't find any monolingual paper dictionaries for the other three languages.

@fireflies: Yes, I did use Wikipedia that way a few times. I don't do that anymore because I've noticed switching the language of an article does not mean simply reading a translation.

fireflies
Joined 5027 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 

Message 5 of 16
17 October 2010 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:

@fireflies: Yes, I did use Wikipedia that way a few times. I don't do that anymore because I've noticed switching the language of an article does not mean simply reading a translation.

In most cases you do :) If it's not in the title you can find the words in the article.

For example if you look up halibut and switch to Spanish you get: pez mantequilla, fletán, hipogloso, paltus o halibut

I knew that the articles in other languages were not faithful to English. :P I mean really now! I was just talking about finding a particular word.

Edited by fireflies on 17 October 2010 at 5:49am

BiaHuda
Triglot
Groupie
Vietnam
Joined 5209 days ago

97 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Vietnamese
Studies: Cantonese

Message 6 of 16
17 October 2010 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
I use paper dictionaries for the most part. I have generally found the Oxford dictionaries to be quite good. Bilingual and standard. I have just started using online dictionaries to a limited degree but I can't say that the results are that good for my languages. The range is too narrow and idiomatic usage is limited for my purpose. I have a nice pocket one that I carry around with me.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6285 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 7 of 16
17 October 2010 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
I use all 5 categories.

I primarily use online dictionaries, when I use dictionaries at all. I also have an overflowing shelf of dictionaries (which mainly gather dust, but which are occasionally incredibly useful), most of which are L2-L3 (most are Italian L2, followed by Esperanto L2, but I have a few others...).

I use monolingual, L1-L2, L2-L3, and multilingual dictionaries, both online and on paper.

I prefer picking up words from parallel texts, but when the texts don't correspond, when I don't have a parallel text, or when it's an unknown English word, dictionaries can be quite helpful in moderation.

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5065 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 8 of 16
17 October 2010 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
fireflies wrote:
Does anyone else sometimes use wikipedia as a dictionary by switching the language of an article?

I use both online and paper ones.

Not so much as a dictionary but as a reasonable source of reading materials as I find it difficult to get into most fiction.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version