Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Dictionaries for language learning

Tags: Poll | Dictionaries
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Which kind of dictionaries do you use for language learning?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [22.54%]
25 [35.21%]
15 [21.13%]
8 [11.27%]
7 [9.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

16 messages over 2 pages: 1
frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6794 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 9 of 16
18 October 2010 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
There is another category of dictionaries, commercial electronic ones that you install on your computer. Those are my favorite kind.
1 person has voted this message useful

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5709 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 10 of 16
18 October 2010 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
fireflies wrote:
Does anyone else sometimes use wikipedia as a dictionary by switching the language of an article?

I use both online and paper ones.

Yes! I love the Wikipedia method. It allows me to understand the subject in a way that a simple dictionary translation never can.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7007 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 11 of 16
18 October 2010 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
I use all of the choices listed in the poll although I slightly prefer hard copies over online versions (in some instances I have no choice since for instance I have not found online dictionaries of English<>Estonian or English<>Finnish that are better than the large hard copies that I've picked up in Estonia and Finland respectively).

There are also the dictionaries of colloquialisms or vulgarities in Czech, German, Finnish, Polish, Slovak on my shelf which I would never throw out and for which I have not found any suitable or comparable replacements on the internet.

However in other circumstances I've found a few online dictionaries to be quite good to the point where they exceed the usefulness that I would get from a similar dictionary in hard copy.

For Finnish, Wiktionary is quite useful and arguably better than my Estonian<>Finnish dictionaries in hardback (when we ignore that there are about 45,000 Finnish entries on English Wiktionary compared to the 90,000 in those hardback dictionaries). Many of the Finnish entries in English Wiktionary are created with tables showing full inflectional patterns. In contrast my hardback Estonian<>Finnish dictionaries have inflectional tables of model words in the appendices and the entries are linked to these model words. Thus I don't get an explicit guide to learning the inflection of a new word (BUT it's reasonably easy to figure out with a little bit of practice or review of my books on Finnish grammar)

The Serbo-Croatian entries at English Wiktionary are fewer but somewhat similarly designed as those Finnish entries by including markings for accentuation as well as full inflectional tables. The Wiktionary entries under the specifically Bosnian, Croatian or Serbian categories are not designed to the same uniformally high standard, thus steering me toward the politically-incorrect Wiktionary of Serbo-Croatian words (*gasp!*)

For Slovak, I use the online version of a set of monolingual dictionaries which provide all sorts of hints of inflection for the entries as well as example sentences. This set of dictionaries is at slovnik.juls.savba.sk/ and beats the pants off any of the Slovak dictionaries on my shelf when it comes to giving grammatical information for words or example sentences.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6433 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 12 of 16
18 October 2010 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
People still use paper dictionaries? Goodness.

For Mandarin, I almost exclusively use my iPhone. I've got one huge but not detailed dictionary (Qingwen) and one detailed but not huge dictionary (nciku). When there's a word that's not in the iPhone nciku dictionary and I feel I need some usage examples (which Qingwen doesn't give), I use the nciku online dictionary, which is huge and detailed. I can't imagine how ginormous a book would need to be in order to house that much information.

For Cantonese it's different. There are no iPhone dictionaries, and I've only heard of one paper dictionary and it's been out of print for decades. There's one online dictionary. It's small and incomplete but it's pretty much all I've got. For other purposes I have to turn to native speakers.

In general, I guess it's L2<->L3, with English being the L2, but that's hardly for reasons of practicing my English.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5304 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 13 of 16
18 October 2010 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
People still use paper dictionaries? Goodness.

For some languages, quality online dictionaries can be either impossible to find or very expensive.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6433 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 14 of 16
18 October 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
For some languages, quality online dictionaries can be either impossible to find or very expensive.

Note to self: check out the availability of quality online dictionaries before picking your next language.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5304 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 15 of 16
18 October 2010 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
tractor wrote:
For some languages, quality online dictionaries can be either impossible to find or
very expensive.

Note to self: check out the availability of quality online dictionaries before picking your next language.

I shouldn't have picked Norwegian as my native language. Hard to find quality bilingual dictionaries for any
language but English.

fireflies
Joined 5032 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 16 of 16
21 October 2010 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
The disadvantage to paper dictionaries is they can split right down the middle. Mine just split. I was thinking of getting a giant oxford hardcover one anyway but it would probably just gather dust as I like convenient books.

100,000 definitions and 60,000 entries didn't cover a lot of words though.

Edited by fireflies on 21 October 2010 at 3:38am

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version