fortheo
United States
Joined 4978 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 17 of 34
14 March 2011 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Here with another weekly update!

I managed to meet all my weekly goals except for spending 16 hours of studying through out the week. Rosetta stone lessons are getting harder to figure out what they mean without translations. I can still manage to figure it out, but they definitely aren't as obvious as before. If the vagueness continues to grow I may drop it from my routine.

Pimsleur is getting harder, and I am still having problems putting all my focus into it. For that reason I started doing each lesson twice, and am currently at 19.

I am good with the Kana now so I don't see my self explicitly studying it for any longer. As long as i keep up my reading I think I will be fine.

Total time spent studying this past week : 14 hours

Weekly goals for 3/7/2011 – 3/13/2011
•     Log 15 hours
•     Go up through lesson 25 of Pimsleur
•     Finish unit 3 of Rosetta stone
•     learn 60 Kanji from "Remembering the kanji"

I seem to have a knack for doing just a little less than my weekly goals, lets see if adding kanji into the study will kick my butt into gear.

Oh and i also did some of my Japanese coach on Nintendo ds, plus watched lots of anime and jdramas.

Edited by fortheo on 14 March 2011 at 4:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5924 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 18 of 34
14 March 2011 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Well done on cracking the kana - it's a quick win, but a very important one.

What jdramas have you been watching? Is there anything good you can recommend?

fortheo
United States
Joined 4978 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 19 of 34
21 March 2011 at 4:42am | IP Logged 

Hello everyone! Things went fairly well this week. I found that in order for me to get anything out of Pimsleur I need to practically lock my self away in a room with absolutely no distractions at all and just focus. With that being said, I just finished lesson 25 of Pimsleurs Japanese 1 and am not sure as to when i will be able to get my hands on Pimsleur Japanese two. My cousin is convinced that he has it somewhere, but he has yet to find it. So depending on my cousin I may or may not start doing Michel Thomas Japanese lessons next week (which I have all of). I actually think the Michelle Thomas method may suit me a little better than pimsleurs, so I am not particularly mad about this possible change.

I did not finish unit three of Rosetta stone, due to me only putting around a half an hour a day into it. I just needed to make some time for studying kanji, and that meant either pimsleur, or Rosetta stone was gonna take the back seat for a little while; I opted for Rosetta stone. I still plan to do Rosetta stone until i deem it useless, so you will still see it showing up in my posts.

This week I started making my way through James Heisigs Remembering the kanji. My goal was to do 12 a day and then on Sunday just review, I managed to surpass that goal and get 75 kanji remembered this week. The method really does help me remember the kanj. However, I'm sure some of you know that using this method does not reap benefits till later on in Japanese studies. The fact that I wont see success from this method until I am done with the book is a bit frustrating. For that reason I am going to try and pick it up a notch and make it through the 2042 kanji as quick as my study schedule allows me too.

I also plan on buying some books to help teach me grammar sometime this week.

g-bod wrote:
Well done on cracking the kana - it's a quick win, but a very important one.

What jdramas have you been watching? Is there anything good you can recommend?

I have been watching some of the somewhat older jdramas. If you haven't seen Orange days I highly recommend that. Its a great slice of life/coming of age drama. Also Liar game is a good psychological jdrama if you are into that. Love shuffle was also a very interesting romance/comedy Jdrama.

Total time spent studying this past week: 17 hours

Weekly Goals for 3/21/2011 - 3/27/2011
•     Log 15 hours
•     Finally finish unit three of Rosetta stone
•     Finish Pimsleur one, Possible move on to Pimsleur two or Michel Thomas
•     Get up to Kanji 200 in Remembering the kanji

Edited by fortheo on 21 March 2011 at 4:50am

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5924 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 20 of 34
21 March 2011 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
The main reason I decided not to bother with Heisig was precisely that you needed to work through the entire book before you could even start thinking about learning how to pronounce actual words. I know I would have quit halfway through and the whole thing would have been useless for me.

I have not seen Orange Days so I will look out for that, and you are the second person to recommend Liar Game to me this week so I guess that means I really need to watch it! I watched the first couple of episodes of Love Shuffle but I didn't really like it, I thought the psychiatrist guy was far too creepy.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4978 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 21 of 34
28 March 2011 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:

I have not seen Orange Days so I will look out for that, and you are the second person to recommend Liar Game to me this week so I guess that means I really need to watch it! I watched the first couple of episodes of Love Shuffle but I didn't really like it, I thought the psychiatrist guy was far too creepy.

Yeah lol the psychiatrist was creepy, but he turned out to be pretty interesting.

I met all of my weekly goals!! I actually got up to kanji 214 in Remembering the kanji. I cant a hold of pimsleur 2 until next week, so I started dabbling into Michel Thomas. I must say I like Michel Thomas's method a lot! It has you forming your own sentences right from the beginning, instead of just repeating the native speaker like pimsleur.

I do not know how much longer I am going to keep Rosetta stone in my schedule, the only thing it really offers me right now is kana practice and vocabulary. I get my Japanese books next week which will likely take over Rosetta stones role in my current routine.

Heisigs method is going well, i haven't gotten completely bored with it anyways. I usually learn 7 kanji in the morning, 7 at night, and 7 in the evening, then review and repeat every day except Sunday ( which is just reviews )

So yeah, I made anther dent in my Japanese studies! also came to a conclusion that

Pimsleur = listening and pronunciation practice    

Michel Thomas = Understanding and forming sentences

Both of these together = almost perfect introduction to the language ( just need to get vocab from another source )

I will probably use this approach if i tackle another language in the distant future.

Total time spent studying this past week: 15 hours

Weekly Goals for 3/28/2011 - 4/03/2011

•     Log 15 hours
•     Do at least a few rosetta stone lessons
•     get through disk three of Michel Thomas
•     Get up to Kanji 350 in Remembering the kanji
•     Review pimsleur one in preparation for the 2nd part

Edited by fortheo on 28 March 2011 at 4:32am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5323 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 22 of 34
28 March 2011 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Hi there, fellow team あ member!

After 2 1/2 years of study, I regret that I didn't start recording or filming myself from the very beginning. Maybe you'd find it interesting to see your progress in a few years from now!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5924 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 23 of 34
28 March 2011 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu, I didn't realise you must have started this Japanese thing around the same time as me!

I wish I had more of a record of my progress too, but then when starting out I really wasn't too sure about what was important. But I think it can be very hard to judge your progress as an independent learner as there aren't really any milestones to hit. You just slowly get better.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5323 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 24 of 34
28 March 2011 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
Arekkusu, I didn't realise you must have started this Japanese thing around the same time as me!

I wish I had more of a record of my progress too, but then when starting out I really wasn't too sure about what was important. But I think it can be very hard to judge your progress as an independent learner as there aren't really any milestones to hit. You just slowly get better.

It'll be 3 years around September.

The next time I start a new language, I'm definitely recording my progress.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version