Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5924 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 25 of 34
28 March 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I think my 3 year anniversary is probably around May/June. I know that I got stuck into Pimsleur at the beginning of July 2008, but I spent a few weeks prior to that learning the kana and assembling study materials and generally trying to work out what to do! I'm trying to remember how Japanese felt to me then but I can remember very little about it. I hope that at least I will be able to look back over my log at the end of 2011 and see how things have improved somehow.

Anyway, apologies for hijacking your log, Fortheo, but I wonder where you will be with Japanese in three years time?
1 person has voted this message useful

fortheo
United States
Joined 4978 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 26 of 34
28 March 2011 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I think my 3 year anniversary is probably around May/June. I know that I got stuck into Pimsleur at the beginning of July 2008, but I spent a few weeks prior to that learning the kana and assembling study materials and generally trying to work out what to do! I'm trying to remember how Japanese felt to me then but I can remember very little about it. I hope that at least I will be able to look back over my log at the end of 2011 and see how things have improved somehow.

Anyway, apologies for hijacking your log, Fortheo, but I wonder where you will be with Japanese in three years time?

I am hoping to be at least near fluent in both reading and writing after three years. This all depends on my life or course. At the moment I have a lot of time to devote to japanese, but I cant say my schedule will always be this free.

Hey Arekkusu! I have actually been inspired from your log for a while now, so i was glad to see you posted here. About recording my self, the perfectionist in me does not want to make my self look like fool quiet yet. I think i will start recording my self at the six month range, then maybe record my progress every few months after that. At this early stage it just brings me down when i try to speak japanese and realize how limited I am. I will however have to get over this when I start skyping with native japanese speakers.

Anyways thanks again for checking out my blog!

Edited by fortheo on 28 March 2011 at 11:54pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5323 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 27 of 34
29 March 2011 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
So many people here inspired me, and if I was able to inspire someone in return, I'm very
happy!

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5770 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 28 of 34
06 April 2011 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Hello Fortheo! I just discovered you joined our team, thanks to the "check in" Team TAC thread. I feel silly for
missing it earlier. ^_^;
Anyway, just stopping by to say hello! It looks like you're making great progress, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on
your log! Also, it seems we have similar problems with anxiety and depression sometimes interfering with our
studies- I hope you have everything back under control, I am just now recovering from a shaky few weeks myself.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4978 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 29 of 34
03 October 2011 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Hi Luai_lashire, yeh i have problems with anx, depresion, and similar disorders such as ptsd :/ they have pretty much owned my life as of late.

just wanted to let you all know i was in fact alive. I have had a rough few months, in out of therapy, on and off meds etc etc. My studying slipped for a while, but i have maintained a lot.I hate myself for letting my studies fall to the side, but meh...not much i can do now other than keep on going.

I am doing better now, med free and happy...in a less stressful environment so i hope to continue to log my status here, even though i don't think my tac goals are achievable anymore.

I have been doing some review this week and re starting RTK
poking around pimsleur again just trying to get a feel.
Will be doing Michel thomas just for a refresher, then i hope to get serious again.

Come tomorrow i will start weekly goals again, though i doubt they will be as ambitious as before. I have only been doing around 7 kanji a day from RTK, i find its a pace easy enough for me to mantain.

Anyways, sorry if i let down some of my fellow team mates, but i just wanted to let everyone know that i havent given up on japanese....just had a very bad detour lol

Edited by fortheo on 03 October 2011 at 7:23am

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5924 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 30 of 34
03 October 2011 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back fortheo!

Sorry you've had a rough time recently but I'm glad you are feeling better now. Try not to worry yourself about your original TAC goals. Sometimes the problem isn't you, it's the goal. I find I often try and set goals assuming study will take place in ideal circumstances and then it all falls apart because real life is not so simple. Perhaps the best approach is summed up in your log's title: one step at a time.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4978 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 31 of 34
07 October 2011 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Thanks G-bod for the motivation :)

I know in my last post I said i would start the weekly goals again, but i find them to tedious. Instead I just study japanese every night, be it a half an hour, or be it three hours. I do however much i have motivation for.

I am building a foundation, slowly but surely :)

Also, for any absolute beginners i cant help but mention again that Michel Thomas, with pimsleur is a great combination.

I have been doing lots, and lots of input. I plan to train my ears so that i have no problem following native speakers.

Along with all that input i do some of RTK every night, some pimsleur just to get me back to where i was.

Edited by fortheo on 07 October 2011 at 3:22am

fortheo
United States
Joined 4978 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 32 of 34
14 October 2011 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Small update, I am still working away going through pimsleur again and michel thomas. I also watch at least a half an hour of japanese shows a day, usually shows that I already know the story of so that I can focus on listening. It is working very well because I can hear the dictation of words a lot clearer now.

I am still working through RTK, I made ten a day my absolute lowest amount. So some days I do ten, others i will do 20 depending on how i feel. In fact I am at work right now, doing some RTK haha, I wish I could be listening to japanese to stay immersed, but my boss would be mad :/

I am loving japanese at the moment :) I may have backtracked a lot, but right now I feel my listening, comprehension and just over all japanese abilities are better than ever. It must be from all the 15 years of anime lol.

I plan to start working through Japanese demystified when i am at around the 1000 kanji mark, or when i am done with Michel Thomas, which ever comes first.

Oh and a little tip for others that are new to language learning. Having a routine is fine, but don't make a chore out of it. Leave your self enough variety so that you can keep things fresh and enjoy your learning. If you enjoy what you are learning, you will absorb a lot more knowledge.

Edited by fortheo on 14 October 2011 at 4:54pm

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version