Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5471 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 17 of 29
10 August 2011 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Best of luck with your Pāli studies audiophile:)

I've studied some Pāli using Warder before. It's not a great textbook but I don't think there's anything better available. Once you've got a grasp of the basics I'd recommend "Pāli Buddhist Texts" by Rune Johansson (Amazon). It contains a collection of short, well known texts from the Pāli Canon, with a glossary for each one.
1 person has voted this message useful

audiophile
Groupie
United States
Joined 5058 days ago

44 posts - 81 votes 
Studies: French

Message 18 of 29
10 August 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Warder uses only the authentic text as material, and his writing style is quite clear to
follow. I feel the main problem with Warder is that there are very little
comments/explanations inside the reading passages. But Brahmali's answer keys should help
with that.

I also use a word-by-word parsed Pali-Chinese textbook that contains four Suttas:

http://nt.med.ncku.edu.tw/biochem/lsn/newrain/canon/nikaya_s elected.pdf

Edited by audiophile on 10 August 2011 at 7:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5287 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 19 of 29
11 August 2011 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
I actually prefer classical languages to be taught like living languages. Otherwise, you add an extra burden to already challenging languages. What would be the success rate of students of French if teaching manuals used Victor Hugo or Baudelaire from the start?

There are already several Greek and Latin texts that do this very effectively. For Sanskrit, I have been using Egenes's text with positive results.
2 persons have voted this message useful

audiophile
Groupie
United States
Joined 5058 days ago

44 posts - 81 votes 

Message 20 of 29
11 August 2011 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
I also prefer to have some "voice" associated with a foreign language. I bought the
recording of Warder's textbook. The recording is good, but only lasts for about 45
minutes. It includes first 5 easy lessons, and then jumps to the last few lessons.

I can't found a lot of good recording material in Pali. I have a full recording of
Dhammapada recited by a Sri Lanka monk, but found that the verse style is difficult for
beginner. Then I looked at a free Pali primer, but it contains some sentences like
"Having struck her with a weapon, the enemy wounded the hand of my mother in law".

So I found that some real sutta material is actually easier and more interesting, and
contains a lot of repetitions: "This is the pain; this is the origin of the pain; this
is the secession of the pain; this is the method which leads to the secession of the
pain". Right now, I just want to use Pali to help me fully understand the English
translation. Pali is a very difficult language with a lot of unique vocabularies (few
cognates). I don't expect myself to memorize more than 1000 words in a year. But I will
try to move forward as far as I can. Using Buddha's famous raft example, I am going
across the river by jumping between the English and Pali boat. I will read and then
forget a lot of Pali text, but Buddha's message and its emotion will get across and be
staying with me for a long time.

Edited by audiophile on 11 August 2011 at 10:23pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

audiophile
Groupie
United States
Joined 5058 days ago

44 posts - 81 votes 

Message 21 of 29
14 August 2011 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Texts-and-Translations /TT-index.htm

In above links, there are a lot of Pali-English bilingual PDF files for download. Right
now I am studying the "Great Chapter" which is an interesting biography about Buddha's
early years after his awakening. The text is formatted in a way that is perfect for self-
study.     
4 persons have voted this message useful

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5471 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 

Message 22 of 29
14 August 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
audiophile wrote:
http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Texts-and-Translations /TT-index.htm

In above links, there are a lot of Pali-English bilingual PDF files for download. Right
now I am studying the "Great Chapter" which is an interesting biography about Buddha's
early years after his awakening. The text is formatted in a way that is perfect for self-
study.     

What a great resource - thanks very much for the link audiophile:D I'll definitely use this when I get started on Pali in the spring.

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5471 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 

Message 24 of 29
27 August 2011 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your encouragement David:) I'd heartily recommend the summer course in Virginia. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version