United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 9 of 47
24 February 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I have.

I keep going through methods and languages and get bored with them too easily. I may come to the conclusion that self-study without a teacher isn't for me, and that I need more structure and accountability than what self-study offers.

I'm going to stick with "Spanish for Reading" because if I study it for an hour a day I could easily get through it by my birthday (4 July). I'm still trying to find a course I like for Esperanto, but I downloaded Kurso last night so I'll see if I like that.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6381 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 47
24 February 2012 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:

I keep going through methods and languages and get bored with them too easily. I may come to the conclusion that self-study without a teacher isn't for me, and that I need more structure and accountability than what self-study offers.

I'm going to stick with "Spanish for Reading" because if I study it for an hour a day I could easily get through it by my birthday (4 July). I'm still trying to find a course I like for Esperanto, but I downloaded Kurso last night so I'll see if I like that.

A lot of beginner courses for Esperanto take a few hours. If you sat down on a Saturday and concentrated, you'd finish such a course. I find anything gets boring if one sticks to reading the introductions for a year or two.

Good luck with Kurso. (And no, I don't recommend powering through any course where human corrections are recommended). And good luck with Spanish for Reading.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 11 of 47
24 February 2012 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Thanks again, Volte.

I finished the second lesson in Kurso and like it so far. I'm going to do one lesson a day like they suggest.

Since I liked Bildoj kaj Demandoj when I tried it about a year ago, I could go through that. My school schedule is light this coming week, so I'll try to get through as much of BkD as possible tomorrow.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6381 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 12 of 47
25 February 2012 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
Thanks again, Volte.

I finished the second lesson in Kurso and like it so far. I'm going to do one lesson a day like they suggest.

Since I liked Bildoj kaj Demandoj when I tried it about a year ago, I could go through that. My school schedule is light this coming week, so I'll try to get through as much of BkD as possible tomorrow.

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you. I'll try to answer any questions you post here if I'm around.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 13 of 47
27 February 2012 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
I started on Ana Pana and have done 4 lessons, so I'm halfway through the course.

I've made my tutor laugh a few times.

First, I wrote "Mi logxas en Usono?" accidentally with a question mark, and the tutor responded in Esperanto "why are you hesitant?"

Then, there was a question asking if I sang well, and I said no, which he thought was funny. I wanted to say I sing in church choir and that I play the trombone, so I have some modicum of musical talent, but I didn't have the time and I don't know "play" as in "to play an instrument." It also asked if I liked to cook, which I don't, but I said I like to eat.

He writes his responses in Esperanto, which is fine, but I asked him once to write in English so I could understand.

It's fun. I think I'm just going to study Esperanto for awhile. I might dabble in Hebrew since it caught my eye recently, and I have a book for it, but I don't think I'll do much.

Gxis revido.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6381 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 14 of 47
27 February 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
I started on Ana Pana and have done 4 lessons, so I'm halfway through the course.

I've made my tutor laugh a few times.

First, I wrote "Mi logxas en Usono?" accidentally with a question mark, and the tutor responded in Esperanto "why are you hesitant?"

Then, there was a question asking if I sang well, and I said no, which he thought was funny. I wanted to say I sing in church choir and that I play the trombone, so I have some modicum of musical talent, but I didn't have the time and I don't know "play" as in "to play an instrument." It also asked if I liked to cook, which I don't, but I said I like to eat.

He writes his responses in Esperanto, which is fine, but I asked him once to write in English so I could understand.

It's fun. I think I'm just going to study Esperanto for awhile. I might dabble in Hebrew since it caught my eye recently, and I have a book for it, but I don't think I'll do much.

Gxis revido.

Congrats on the progress!

"To play" is "ludi" in Esperanto, regardless of whether it's games or musical instruments. Esperanto doesn't have a separate verb for these, unlike some Romance languages.

Vi povintus skribi "Mi kantas en preĝeja ĥoro, kaj ludas trombonon, do mi havas iom da musika talento".

The sound ĥ is difficult for most people to pronounce, and wasn't in many words to begin with, so words with it are falling out of use and getting replaced by other forms, though it's an ongoing process. Usually they change to having an h or k, but both horo and koro are already Esperanto words, and so "ĥoro" ended up changing to "koruso". You can freely use either.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 15 of 47
27 February 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Thnks, Volte.

Yeah, the hx sound is hard, I was listening to it in Kurso and it sounded kind of hard, but it is common in some languages. I was studying some Hebrew today and that is a sound in the language, and of course there's the g sound in Dutch.

That said, I'll probably use koruso, since it seems easier to remember and is similar to English.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 16 of 47
28 February 2012 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
I sent in lesson 6 of Ana Pana today and did pretty poorly.

I think I'm going to stay on it for awhile, and maybe get more practice in. It was about education and jobs, so it's very relevant for me, and I wrote more than I do to try to express myself. The best thing I can do right now is try to decipher my tutor's notes in Esperanto. I knew I got a lot wrong. Too bad there is no easy way to say "community college" in Esperanto.

I'm not down about it and I know this sort of thing is ievitable in learning languages. It's just that I think I've accomplished a lot and now I made a lot of mistakes. It isn't demotivating, it's just a little surprising.

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version