Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 25 of 47
16 March 2012 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
It seems that several courses on lernu disappeared.I can't find the entire section of beginning lessons on the site anymore.

I haven't studied since Saturday, and my tutor hasn't responded yet.

I guess I need to find another course.

I wanted to try the Voyage with Zam course but I can't find it anymore.

I'm not sure which course to do now.
1 person has voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 26 of 47
17 March 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
I think I may give up on Esperanto again. I still can't find a course I like and lernu looks like it's getting messed up somehow, with courses being discontinued, my tutor not responding to me, and all. They really need to get their act together. This really is discouraging. I don't even know why I'm even bothering with Esperanto, anyway, when my time would be better spent learning Spanish or French, which have far better developed literature and far more speakers than Esperanto. And people are far less likely to be judgmental of my decision to learn Spanish or French than they would be with Esperanto. Not that I really care what people think.

I don't think learning Esperanto is a waste of time, it just isn't worth the frustration for such a low payoff. I might come to the same opinion with Latin.

I just need to figure out if I want to learn Spanish or French and actually stick with it this time. I'm bored with Spanish, but I have more materials for Spanish than I do for French.

Sorry for my crappy attitude in this post. I'm about to finish my Spring Break, which is the most free time I'll have until May, and I haven't really accomplished anything with languages like I hoped I would.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6381 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 27 of 47
17 March 2012 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Here's Vojaĝo kun Zam. It's weird how the links to courses are getting rearranged. Sorry to hear about your tutor.

I found the frustration:payoff ratio to be better for Esperanto than anything else I've learned, and no one's really seemed judgemental about it (unlike my experiences with both French and Spanish). Your mileage may vary.

For what it might be worth, I find big blocks of time (like Spring Break) are easier to use effectively if you're filling them with more of something you do routinely, than if you try to cram in a big project in a field you usually don't do much in. You'll probably appreciate your time in May more if you start studying 15-30 minutes daily until then, presumably in French or Spanish.

Good luck.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 28 of 47
17 March 2012 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Volte. Sorry about my attitude in that last post, but I'm starting to get a little frustrated. I'll try not to let the frustration get to me. I'll keep studying Eo until Good Friday like I originally planned, and then see if I want to continue. That will be 6 weeks of study.

I'll try Vojagxo kun Zam later. It's supposed to be pretty good.

Another course I liked was Pasporto a la Tuta Mondo, but I only understood the first half of the show. I wish there were a transcript or subtitles so I could see the words being used, because sometimes the audio is hard to understand (not in the video, just language audio in general).

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6381 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 29 of 47
18 March 2012 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
Good luck.

http://www.esperanto-usa.org/en/node/56 says there are subtitles available on the DVDs. I've never watched it.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 30 of 47
18 March 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
OK.

I don't have the DVDs, I just watched it on YouTube.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 31 of 47
21 March 2012 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
I did the first 11 voyages with Zam on Saturday. It's OK, but I prefer Ana Pana or Ana Renkontas.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with learning Esperanto again. I wish I could find a program I liked.

I'm trying to get a technical writing internship with a Fortune 500 company in my area. I told the interviewer that one of my interests was languages, and that I've unsuccessfully tried to learn Spanish and Chinese in the past. He asked me if I'm fluent in any languages, and I said no. It makes me think I should try Mandarin or Spanish instead of Esperanto, but I'm trying to see how far I'd get in 6 weeks. I've wasted one or two weeks by not studying, but I want to try to keep my commitment.

It's been unseasonably warm lately, and I've been feeling sick since Sunday. I think it's the heat.

Anyway, I need to try to study languages instead of reading about them.

Edited by Michael K. on 21 March 2012 at 11:10pm

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 32 of 47
25 March 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
I think I'm going to try Esperanto again some other time. I've gotten bored with it and I haven't really found any courses that I like. I've also gotten bored with Spanish.

I'm going to try German, because I've tried it before and liked it, and the country and culture interest me (some of my ancestors were from Germany). I'm going to use "German for Reading" and Assimil for my studies.

I hope I stick with it this time.

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version