Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 41 of 47
24 April 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
I did 6 hanzi yesterday (I already knew how to count to 3, and did 3 new ones) and 3 hanzi today (all new). I also did lesson 3 of Assimil.

I'm really having fun right now. I remember a woman in my Chinese class 3 years ago say she felt smart after the class, because she understood the characters. I didn't care much for the class because the teacher taught us using songs and children's books rather than by using conversations. I think she was teaching us the way she taught her children. I quit the class about halfway through.

So far I'm having some problem remembering the tones. I know that sometimes the tones change based on what tone comes after it, but that's not what I'm having problems with.

Unfortunately, no one has answered my question of how many hanzi to learn a day. I'll continue to follow my plan until further notice.

Thanks for reading.
1 person has voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 42 of 47
27 April 2012 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
I didn't study at all yesterday.

Today I did 5 hanzi, and I'm starting to learn some compound hanzi. I listened to Assimil lesson 4 but I wasn't in the mood to listen to it this morning before class, so I'll have to do it later.

I'm still having a lot of fun with the language, more than I have with other languages I've tried learning before. I hope it continues to be enjoyable.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 43 of 47
30 April 2012 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
I did 8 hanzi, but I still need to review them to really learn them, bringing my total up to 25 hanzi.

I still need to do Assimil today. I'm still having a lot of fun, and the writing isn't as hard as I thought it would be.

I'm going to do the Super Challenge in Spanish. I'm looking for about 20-25 books that I'll read 4-5 times and movies that I'll watch, but I think most of my DVDs have Spanish subtitles so I don't think I'll have any trouble finding 20-25 DVDs to watch.

This is going to be fun.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 44 of 47
03 June 2012 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
I decided that I'll try some Russian.

I have a TYS, Berlitz Self-Teacher, Russian for Beginners by Makaroff, and Pimsleur. I'm also getting a non-native speaker to help me with email lessons.

Of course, my first task is to learn Cyrillic.

I studied a bit of Cyrillic, the TYS first lesson dialog and the email lesson this week, so I didn't really do that much.

My classes start this week, so I'll have less time for languages, but I should still have plenty of time.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 45 of 47
12 June 2012 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I finished most of the first lesson of TYS.

I'm still going through Huliganov's course on the alphabet.

I haven't listened to any Pimsleur yet, nor have I looked through the Self-Teacher or Makaroff's course.

It's slow going.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 46 of 47
13 June 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
I've watched 8 of Huliganov's 10 lessons on the Cyrillic alphabet so far. I just need to listen to the lesson on the hard sign and soft sign and the lesson on Russian handwriting. I'll skip the lesson on handwriting for now. He also has several lessons on Russian grammar, which I'll look at once I'm finished with his alphabet course.

I also did the first lesson of the Berlitz Self-Teacher. I like it, because it has the phonetic spelling along with the Cyrillic, so it will help me learn the alphabet.

I looked at the Makaroff course a little today. It might be good. It has 42 lessons and has a vocabulary of 4,000 words, so it sounds pretty comprehensive. It claims students can start reading Russian literature once they're done.

The TYS looks OK, but it seems pretty touristy. I'll look at it more later.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 47 of 47
20 June 2012 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
I tried in vain again to do 3 languages at the same time.

I decided I'll try Spanish and Esperanto, my old standbys.

I've started on Esperanto this past weekend and already have half of Kurso de Esperanto finished. I'll try to finish it by next Monday.

I'm also starting to use the Hippocrene Esperanto for Beginners and I'm enjoying it.

I also have an old TYS Esperanto, and might try that after I finish my other two courses.

I have to figure out how I want to study Spanish. I know enough that I can figure out a side by side Spanish-English story. I might try Assimil again, because it's a lot like a side by side story.

Gxis revido.

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version