fortheo
United States
Joined 4978 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 17 of 46
27 January 2012 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
@woodsei

thanks for the motivation! I havent stopped RTK yet, I am just not consistent. Some days I will do 30, others I will do five, sometimes I just review.

I started going through smartfms core 2000 word deck for vocabulary. The deck I have plays an audio clip of the word, then it shows a picture that relates to the word, after that it shows the kanji, kana and romaji, then it gives an example sentence using the word. So yeah, I love that I get a little listening, reading, and vocab practice all with one deck. Actually I was hoping someone could help explain the use of the particle の in this following sentence.

私は絵を見るのが好きです。

Simple question I know, but yeah…I am a noob. Most sentences I have come across use の to show possession, for example.
日本の大学生です

So yeah, any help with how the first sentence uses の is appreciated.
After readings Woodseis log the other day, I was inspired to do 66 kanji from Heisig in one day. I did it, but it definitely was not a pace I could maintain. I am around the 1000 mark in RTK, and will pass it before this week is over.

My listening is going well; I always try to get at least one good hour of concentrated listening into a day. The days I work though, I get around 2 hours of quality Japanese flowing through my head. From Pimsleur, Advanced Michel Thomas, Japanese pod 101, and Japanese music. This is not counting the Japanese anime, or drama I watch every night. All and all I feel fairly confident with my listening.

Edited by fortheo on 28 January 2012 at 10:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6562 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 18 of 46
27 January 2012 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
That の is used in the same way as こと if you're familiar with that. It is a nominalizer. It turns the preceding verb (or adjective) into a noun just like the gerund in English.

That is, 私は絵を見る means "I look at pictures."
But when you add the の or こと, "look at pictures" becomes "looking at pictures". So the whole sentence is "I like looking at pictures."

The difference between の and こと is for one, that の is used more when it is something that the speaker feels somewhat close to, while こと is something he feels less emotionally involved in. Another difference is that の expresses something more concrete or perceptible, while こと expresses something more abstract or intangible. There are also certain verbs and idioms where one is used and the other is not. But often they are interchangeable, so I wouldn't worry too much at this point about which to use.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5924 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 19 of 46
27 January 2012 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm feeling motivated by your enthusiasm, keep it up!

Do you ever try shadowing the example dialogues from JapanesePod? I find it to be quite a helpful exercise.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4978 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 20 of 46
13 February 2012 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
My studies are going decently I suppose. I continue to progress with my listening apprehension, but my kanji studies have once again stagnated. I have kept up with reviews though.

My boss hired a new worker, so i should go back to part time very soon ( thank god )

anyways, I have a question that maybe some of you could help me out with.

I just added a few cards into anki, went through 5 cards and hit again on each of them. Now they are inactive or suspended.... anki used to suspend them after i got them wrong several times, not after just once.

does anyone know the solution ?

Edited by fortheo on 13 February 2012 at 2:34am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6562 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 21 of 46
13 February 2012 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
That sounds odd.

You could check under Settings - Deck properties - Leech threshold, and see if it got changed somehow. Mine is set to 16, but you can set it to whatever you want, I think. It sounds weird that it could have set itself so low, but who knows.

The other possibility is that you accidentally hit the shortcut keys: Ctrl + Shift + S, but that sounds rather unlikely as well.

If no one else has any ideas, you could try checking Anki's help file, or bug reports on their forum (I think they have one, but I'm not sure) to see if it says anything there. If you don't find anything, then report it yourself. It might be something really simple.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 13 February 2012 at 5:22pm

fortheo
United States
Joined 4978 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 22 of 46
22 February 2012 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
I fixed my anki problem...only to find out that my hard drive is dying :(

I backed everything up though, so now back to routine. I have been doing around 10-20 kanji a day from Heisig, which isn't much, but it's what I could handle. I have the next 5 days off from work!! I am aiming to get to 1300 kanji by Monday, wish me luck.

My vocabulary hasn't been a main focus, I only add five cards a day. I really enjoy the deck I am using though. once Heisig stops taking up a lot of my time I will dedicate more to vocabulary.

Listening continues to go very well because that's all I can do at work.

I really can't wait till I am done with this stage of my studies...just need to push through I guess.

Edited by fortheo on 22 February 2012 at 7:56am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6027 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 23 of 46
22 February 2012 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
That's great that you're able to listen to Japanese while you're at work -- with better listening skills you'll soon have a whole world of native stuff to choose from! I'm trying to improve my listening too. It's hard to see any progress, but I try to just forget about how fast or slow I'm going and concentrate on keeping my routine.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4739 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 24 of 46
03 March 2012 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Good luck with getting through that Heisig phase! Listening really makes things a lot
easier later on, even if you don't understand anything at first. You seem to be doing
well. Keep it up!

がんばってね!

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version