United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4739 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 41 of 46
19 April 2012 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
Yes, I lost some of my motivation too the past few weeks for various reasons, but I'm
glad I'm picking back up again. And it is fun getting out new words you came across and
putting them in Anki. I know, getting through kanji is tough. But I remember you were
somewhere at the 1200-1400 mark, right? That's almost there, fortheo, and soon enough you
can actually settle down to full-time reading, listening, and speaking. I was going to
suggest you just read and Heisig the unknown kanji you come across, but I have a feeling
it's too much of a bother stopping constantly, and will kill the enjoyment out of you
reading. Or you could highlight the unknown kanji as you go, then do them all after you
read. But my guess is it'll be faster just doing them in the Heisig order.

You're almost there! がんばってね!
1 person has voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5126 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 42 of 46
20 April 2012 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
fortheo wrote:
Kanji officially gives me headaches. I didn't do any kanji for two days, and my throbbing headaches went away. I need to find a way to love these characters or else they will be my downfall.

I came to the same conclusion myself and stopped studying all Japanese to focus on Kanji exclusively using the Heisig RTK. It worked pretty well for me - I really enjoy the kanji now. I still have a lot of work to do on kanji particularly since my class started up and I had to put RTK on hold more or less. I would recommend really making kanji your focus if you're that concerned about it holding you back.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4978 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 43 of 46
23 April 2012 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the pep talk guys, means a lot to me :)

My cousin and i are going to do a challenge to see who can do more RTK this week. I have work and school too, but i am going to aim to do a steady amount a day to at least make it a habit.

I just want to get into actual Japanese reading already lol. So impatient and frustrated with heisig lol, but I have plenty of time, and am in no rush. I will make it through.

I love the spoken language though, and am making good progress on the core 2000 deck of vocabulary :)

Edited by fortheo on 23 April 2012 at 1:04am

fortheo
United States
Joined 4978 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 44 of 46
30 May 2012 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
I haven't really learned much this past month :( I have been down sick for about three weeks now with what seemed like a never ending case of bronchitis and an ear infection.I managed to do all my reviews and listen to some japanese here and there, but thats about it :/

Idk, no point letting all this getting me down, I realize this is a long term goal and I am in no rush.

So back on track now with finishing RTK ( it will happen, lol )

fortheo
United States
Joined 4978 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 45 of 46
14 June 2012 at 12:05am | IP Logged 

I am about a quarter of a way into core 2000 most common words, I really enjoy it so I will continue with that.I am starting to feel more comfortable with kanji!

I didn't do all of Heisig, but I have been importing kanji from other sources into SRS and it's going well :)

I am about quarter of a way into core 2000 most common words, I really enjoy it so I will continue with that.

I have been neglecting my speaking in favor for reading these past two months, so I am going to try to contact an old friend and japan to get some speaking exercises done.

Edited by fortheo on 14 June 2012 at 1:33am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4739 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 46 of 46
18 June 2012 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
Hope you get better soon! Bronchitis+ear infection sounds like no fun :S I realize that
whichever way you go, Heisig or not, you'll eventually learn the kanji, so if you skip
out on his book, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. There were some kanji that
I haven't studies through Heisig earlier in my studies, but when I saw them in a
meaningful context multiple times they stuck. I think that, ultimately, it's all about
exposure, and taking the language as a whole. Reading, writing, etc. Heisig made things
a lot easier and faster for me, though, and that's why I forced myself to stick with
it, and I'm glad I did. But, you know, different strokes for different folks :) So do
what makes it enjoyable for you :)

500 words and their sentences down is awesome! I love the fact that the core decks have
audio with them :) Good luck, team mate! And hope you bounce back on the wagon after
that flu spell. Season changes are always heavy on bad infections, unfortunately.

おだいじに!

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version