Ireland
Joined 5386 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 9
22 March 2012 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
"Things do not happen. They are made to happen" - John F. Kennedy

This is the big one that I have been continuously putting off for my whole life: learning French.

Allow me to introduce myself: I'm Brian, born in 1991, and a History student in Ireland. When I was in school I
learned Irish and German, and in my first year of college I did Spanish and Chinese. But this year I'm doing all
History and want to focus on one language, and I want that language to be French, which I have always loved,
but just didn't realize it enough.

I've been a member of this forum for a while now, and it has been a great source of knowledge to me. More
importantly though, perhaps, it has been a great source of motivation. By keeping this log I hope to keep
myself motivated to study French, and hopefully inspire others and get advice along the way.

Here's what I have in my okay arsenal for learning French so far:
A good dictionary (Collins)
Collins Easy Learning French Grammar
Berlitz French flashcards
An internet radio (to listen to French stations like Europe 1)
My laptop for watching Euronews
Some French books (novels, a guide to Paris)
Newspapers and magazines like Le Courier

I have very little knowledge of French at the moment (my goal is complete fluency, however long it takes), so if
you have any tips then please post them here or PM me. At the moment I'm thinking of getting a course (like
Assimil) or a good vocabulary book. I also need to watch way more French movies (instead of just Amélie...) and
listen to more French music (Daft Punk definitely doesn't count). I was also thinking of getting a French penpal
to practice my writing.

I know I have the time, even with college and other pursuits like learning the piano, getting my driver's license
etc and my intention for this thread is to post once a week for the next few months. I have dramatically reduced
my time watching television (almost none now) and time spent on the internet. My biggest weakness in
sleep: honestly, I sleep about ten hours every night, and those extra few hours are the biggest waste of time in
my life. I need to experiment to see how much I really need to get by. Six? Eight hours? I'm also thinking of
experimenting with biphasic sleep.

I know I can do it this time (have been learning French on and off since 1998 when I was six and I have no
intention of letting it slip again), so wish me "bonne chance" and we'll begin together. :)

"Do not wait; the time will never be ''just right.'' Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may
have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." - Napoleon Hill

Edited by brian91 on 22 March 2012 at 11:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

B-Tina
Tetraglot
Germany
dragonsallaroun
Joined 5469 days ago

123 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Polish

Message 2 of 9
22 March 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Hey Brian,

good luck with your language project! I'm also back to learning French, trying to raise my level from B2 to C1. Just some thoughts:

(Born in 1991 and already being a student? Gosh, I DO feel old now... ;)

I think Assimil is quite a good idea. If you have advanced knowledge of another foreign language, you might want to try to learn French by your L2.

Have you tried out memrise.com? (I think we recently had a thread about that website here.) It tries to turn learning with flashcards into fun, and I think it's quite addictive in a positive way.

A French TV series I enjoyed was "Spirals" ("Engrenage"), which is available with English subtitles (though admittedly quite violent at times, not always for the faint at heart). And if you want to start off slow, you can still watch "The Artist"... :)

As for sleep: if you have a smartphone, google "Gentle Alarm app". It tries to wake you up, well, more gently, and I found that to be true - I certainly am much more fitter and awake now with less sleep.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 3 of 9
22 March 2012 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Good luck, Brian.

I took 2 years of French in high school, and a nine week course in 6th grade, and enjoyed it. It's a great language.

How are your history classes? I wish I would have studied history at university, but I did business instead, and know I'm doing writing.

I've heard 9 hours of sleep is the recommended amount of time to sleep, but I don't remember where I heard that. Just don't try to cut back too much too soon.

Bonne chance.

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5386 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 

Message 4 of 9
23 March 2012 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
B-Tina wrote:
Hey Brian,

good luck with your language project! I'm also back to learning French, trying to raise my level from B2 to C1.
Just some thoughts:

(Born in 1991 and already being a student? Gosh, I DO feel old now... ;)

I think Assimil is quite a good idea. If you have advanced knowledge of another foreign language, you might
want to try to learn French by your L2.

Have you tried out memrise.com? (I think we recently had a thread about that website here.) It tries to turn
learning with flashcards into fun, and I think it's quite addictive in a positive way.

A French TV series I enjoyed was "Spirals" ("Engrenage"), which is available with English subtitles (though
admittedly quite violent at times, not always for the faint at heart). And if you want to start off slow, you can still
watch "The Artist"... :)

As for sleep: if you have a smartphone, google "Gentle Alarm app". It tries to wake you up, well, more gently,
and I found that to be true - I certainly am much more fitter and awake now with less sleep.

Danke Schoen :) At twenty I feel kinda old sometimes; how I long for the days of being 17. :D

Thanks for the tips! My alarm at the moment is a Limp Bizkit song, but it still doesn't get me up, so maybe I
should get a gentler alarm!

Good luck in your own quest to learn French. :)

Edited by brian91 on 23 March 2012 at 12:43pm

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5386 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 

Message 5 of 9
23 March 2012 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
Good luck, Brian.

I took 2 years of French in high school, and a nine week course in 6th grade, and enjoyed it. It's a great
language.

How are your history classes? I wish I would have studied history at university, but I did business instead, and
know I'm doing writing.

I've heard 9 hours of sleep is the recommended amount of time to sleep, but I don't remember where I heard
that. Just don't try to cut back too much too soon.

Bonne chance.

History is great; I never get bored with it, and I find the French revolution particularly fascinating.

Nine? I guess I'm not too far off after all lol. I'm using this as my main source of information and inspiration right
now: How to Be an Early
Riser

Gatsby42
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4583 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 9
23 March 2012 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your studies Brian. Few things are more rewarding than learning a
language. It's like trying to ride the world's hardest mechanical bull; it'll kick your
ass for the longest time but once you tame it, it'll spout rockets burst out of the
ground and take you on a journey through space.

At least, that's my visual metaphor of the quest for fluency.

All kidding aside, French is a great language. If I ever feel thirsty for more after I
become fluent in Spanish, it'll probably be the language I try next.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4630 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 7 of 9
23 March 2012 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Bonne chance, and let's begin together! After about a decade of relatively unfocused language learning, during which I repeatedly refused to study French, I myself also just started studying French with Assimil a week ago.

Allons-y!

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5346 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 8 of 9
25 March 2012 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
Hi Brian ! See you're in ireland ! Are you in Dublin ? I have been living in Dublin for 8 months now and I desperatly need someone to improve my englisk... I'm looking for an English/french exchange but so far, all the people I met just gave up (their French was kind of "not at the level", so we used to speak English all the time)...

If you're in Dublin, thanks for contacting me ...

good luck with French... Not an easy language... :)

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version