Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 1 of 14
01 May 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
My goal is to read 20-25 books and watch 20-25 movies (English audio with Spanish subtitles) 4-5 times by January 1, 2014 (Norwegian time).

I'll watch a movie tonight, but I'm not sure which one yet.

I found out my library has a nice collection of bilingual Spanish books, which I'm sure I'll find useful over the next few months. Most of the DVDs I own have Spanish subtitles on them.

May is a good month for this because this is my last week of school and then I'll have a month off before summer classes. Once the semester ends, I'll set the goal to watch one movie a day until summer school starts.

Good luck to everyone else participating in the challenge.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
lunaslanglog.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Korean

Message 2 of 14
01 May 2012 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Good luck on your super challenge! :D I'm really excited for it to start!
1 person has voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 3 of 14
01 May 2012 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Luna. Good luck on your challenge, too.

I went out to the bookstore and bought CS Lewis's "Las Cronicas de Narnia" and I own the anthology in English. I was tempted to buy my favorite movie, "Chariots of Fire" (which was in the bargain area), and I was glad to see it had Spanish subtitles. Maybe when I have more time I'll go back to the bookstore and buy some DVDs of interest.

I think I'm going to read the Bible once or twice through during the challenge. I used to read the OT once and the NT twice during a year, but it's been awhile since I've done that.

I'm going to watch part of "We Bought a Zoo" tonight (yes, I'm a sucker for family movies). I'll go through my other DVDs and see what I can find. My mom bought a cache of Christmas movies last year, and I'll see if any of those have Spanish subtitles. Yes, I know christmas is several months away, but it's still a happy time of year for me (well, except for the cold weather, but we were lucky this past year).

On to the challenge!

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 4 of 14
01 May 2012 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
I watched 21 minutes of the movie, read and listened to the first 2 chapters of Kaufmann's book, and read Psalms 1-3, Matt 1, and Genesis 1.

Not bad for starters. We'll see if I'm still at it in a month.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 5 of 14
02 May 2012 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
I read the RV 1909 some more today.

I have a test tomorrow, so I can't mess around much with Spanish tonight, but I may have some more time tomorrow.

I figured out the books and DVDs I'll need. I'll buy a few more books, but I don't need anymore DVDs. I'll borrow a few DVDs from the library with Spanish subtitles.

Good luck with the challenge, everyone.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 6 of 14
03 May 2012 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
I didn't do anything for the challenge last night. I had other things I had to do.

I'll have a lot of free time today, so I should be able to read and watch some more of my movie today.

I just realize the enormity of the challenge, and in reading 100 books in 80-90 weeks. If I'm still trying to get through all my books at the end of the challenge, I'll still count it as a victory, because it's still more books than what I've read in the past 2 years.

I don't think watching 100 movies is that hard. That should only take a few months.

I wish I would have thought about watching DVDs with subtitles before. That sounds like a great idea to pick up some of the language.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 7 of 14
09 May 2012 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
I read Psalms 8-11 last night. I haven't really read or watched anything since last Thursday (really; I'm not just using a meme).

My classes end today so I'll have plenty of time to start on the Super Challenge. I borrowed a bilingual book from the library yesterday, and I'll try to get through it in the next two weeks.

Edit: I read more of the RV1909 this afternoon and read two of the Mexican stories in the book I borrowed. I'm getting "Chariots of Fire" tomorrow from the library, and will watch it with subtitles tomorrow.

Edited by Michael K. on 10 May 2012 at 12:19am

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 8 of 14
10 May 2012 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
I borrowed a bilingual children's book about Sojourner Truth today and read it once. If I read it 4 more times it will count as one book.

I borrowed "Chariots of Fire" and look forward to watching it later.

I read some more of the RV 1909 and 2 more Mexican stories today.

10 days into the challenge, and 4 or 5 days I didn't do any reading. This isn't going as well as I hoped it would.

Edited by Michael K. on 11 May 2012 at 12:24am

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version