Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
18 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
mizunooto
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Mandarin, Japanese, Polish, Kazakh, Malay

Message 9 of 18
11 May 2012 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
Cleared all my due cards today and I think concentrating on one at a time will be very good. Also I noticed my Mandarin is a lot better. Even my Japanese is better than I think!
1 person has voted this message useful

mizunooto
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes
Studies: French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Mandarin, Japanese, Polish, Kazakh, Malay

Message 10 of 18
12 May 2012 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
I think this grammar method is excellent. (i.e. studying grammar only)
I am on target to finish the book in one month. Less would be nice too.

I shall use this method for other languages too. There are only two less good things about it in this case (the French book) - it takes time to type out the sentences, and although I'm on the "nouns" section, it does of course include verbs that I'd like to know more about. Oh well, I will get to those.

If I can really manage this in a month or less, it will be great to see what I can do in future months. I wonder how it will be with languages I know less well. Perhaps there is a level of knowledge where it is more effective to use this method. Or perhaps it will work anyway. I'd like to give it a try from zero, maybe for Icelandic or another one that I haven't studied. Interesting!

mizunooto
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes

Message 11 of 18
12 May 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Studied 48 minutes this morning. Mandarin sentences, German vocab (revising from the past weeks), French grammar. Maybe I can do more later (I will have to do more sentence inputting to keep on target anyway).

Current scores for grammar sentences are: first-seen cards 55.7% correct, young cards 77.6%.

Sometimes it's 'de la France', sometimes 'de France'. I am getting a feel for the right word (sometimes a wrong feeling but more often the right one); I am also drawing conclusions about the 'rules' (difference between physical France and the concept of France...); plus if I read the book instead of just taking the sentences out of it, it might tell me more. But I was thinking that the faster you can work out the rule, the faster you can speak the language properly (=the more talent you have for language?? =the more intelligent you are??) Certainly it is down to how much you want it, also, because I have seen people who have a strong drive to succeed in life (in their own definition of success of course) and often learning English is part of that, and they learn it very well! Love of the culture you want to join is also a reason for success.

I'm also wondering how I'm going to manage the translations/translators of my book. But that's another subject and I have yet to finish the English version!

mizunooto
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes

Message 12 of 18
13 May 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
100 sentences a day in a language I know somewhat is not so bad actually. It gives you a good 45 mins of work. (Oh, by the way, typing in the sentences takes ages)

I am excited to think what I can do in the coming months if I can consume a full grammar course in one month. This one is 300 pages; the only bigger one I have is German with 400. These are from the Routledge "Modern ______ Grammar" (insert name of language) which I think are good. There is also a new series called "________ an Essential Grammar", also by Routledge as it happens. Looks fine as far as I can see. You can get workbooks with questions for the MXG series.

I will need to do other work than just grammar but after a year I could have covered my basic language needs (no longer visible here since my heavy editing of the list under my name) which numbers about 12 or 13.

Next to decide is what to do next with Hanzi. I have learned quite a lot of Kanji, but I need to amplify this both in quantity and in variants used in other countries and with other languages than Japanese.

I think the solution to this is either little and often or much and seldom. Do 10 per day and you've got 7000ish in 2 years, or (obviously) 3650 in one year. Or devote all your time to it for a shorter period. I think I tend toward a combined approach. First finish my 3000 Heisig, which makes a good base, then add Hanzi based on frequency after that. Or, (second option), go straight for the full Hanzi list and treat the variants as they come up. I think I prefer the first way because I can separate "Used for Japanese" and "Not used for Japanese". That's what I think.

mizunooto
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes

Message 13 of 18
15 May 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Getting very busy, it is 23:46 and I have 100 new cards to learn AND 100 more to add! But if I do not do it, a) I won't progress as fast and b) anyone who reads this will know!

mizunooto
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes

Message 14 of 18
18 May 2012 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
I have paused my French grammar project. ! Because I am so busy (e.g. working 14 hours tomorrow) I thought, well, this is one way of reducing the stress. Anyway I lasted four days:)

I have also decided that my priorities are Mandarin, Japanese, Cantonese. (Cantonese a bit later). I want to be good at speaking the others on my list, But I think I should probably work on the more difficult (i.e. less familiar) ones first.

Still this has been useful. I don't know if I will go back to the French, if not I will continue it but only every so often. I will finish it though! Of course if I have more time in the day I can do more on all of these.

mizunooto
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes

Message 15 of 18
28 May 2012 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
Started Korean, others going well. Every day French, German, Japanese, Mandarin. Shouldn't have put German and Japanese together...history, history...

It's somewhat difficult to go from J to Mandarin and back, but I think that's because I'm fairly new to them. Practice!

My M understanding is much better - unfortunately. I understood one side of a derogatory phone conversation about me! Still, it is good to have the information, and this is why I'm learning isn't it.

mizunooto
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes

Message 16 of 18
03 June 2012 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Still extremely busy so I'm just doing a little now and then. Hangul going well, vowels a little obscure but better than before. I'm glad these Asian languages are improving. They were the difficult ones for me.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version