Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
mizunooto
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Mandarin, Japanese, Polish, Kazakh, Malay

Message 17 of 18
06 June 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Now using:

Japanese: sentences and vocab from "iKnow" (which may have changed its name) - these are professional though I think they start out too difficult considering they aim to cater to learners from beginner level. So I will do plenty of vocab and one sentence per day until it gets easier.

Mandarin: still doing well with the "Zhongwen" sentences. Though they are less professional, they build up grammar and vocab from small simple sentences and reinforce highly useful speech patterns, reusing the same pattern (e.g. "X comes from...") over several sentences.

Korean: I have a vocabulary deck with audio which is good; I jettison words I don't yet need. I would like to find some audio sentences though, as above.

Hangul was fine, even the diphthongs are making some sense now. No, there aren't three types of "Wae" - though if I believed the learner materials that are going around, I might still think there were.

For my next script I'd like to do Thai, with a view to applying that to help with Lao & Khmer. It does look a little confusing and a little 'ornate'. But as we have learned before, things look difficult until you learn them properly.

Other than that, I've gone back to the beginning (again) with Kanji, this time I'm also learning which characters have different Simplified and Traditional Hanzi versions, just so I can remember that and hopefully recognise them. I don't expect to be able to write those Hanzi at this stage, though I do expect to be able to write the Kanji properly.
1 person has voted this message useful

mizunooto
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Mandarin, Japanese, Polish, Kazakh, Malay

Message 18 of 18
07 July 2012 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Wow I learned there is a 妳 as well as a 你! Did you know that?
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version