SaffronCicely
United Kingdom
Joined 4501 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 9 of 12
08 July 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Serpent - thank you very much!! I've never heard of the lyricstraining website. I came
acros GLOSS a while ago but couldn't remember it's name - these are really helpful!

GaryB - have you seen that Le Cafe Gourmand on Nicolson/Clerk St (not sure where one
starts and the other ends) has a french language meetup a few time a week? You're
probably too advanced for it though, and it costs £6 a session.
1 person has voted this message useful

SaffronCicely
United Kingdom
Joined 4501 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 10 of 12
08 July 2012 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
I've now finished Michel Thomas Complete + Advanced Spanish CDs. Not sure how I feel. On
one hand, I don't really feel like I know THAT much more. I wouldn't really call the
Advanced 'Advanced'. Advanced, slightly, from the first set maybe. What I do like is all
the little devices he uses to help you remember things!

I'm working through 'Practice Makes Perfect' Spanish Grammar now. I want to try a new
course, but since I'm probably at an early intermediate level, it's a bit boring to start
a new course from scratch - even though there are probably quite a few things in such
courses that I've missed out.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5149 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 12
09 July 2012 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
SaffronCicely wrote:

GaryB - have you seen that Le Cafe Gourmand on Nicolson/Clerk St (not sure where one
starts and the other ends) has a french language meetup a few time a week? You're
probably too advanced for it though, and it costs £6 a session.

Thanks; funnily enough I just noticed that a couple of days ago, I was walking past
there and the sign caught my eye. I used to go to something similar (called Yakety Yak;
they do several languages including Spanish) and it was useful as long as the other
people in the group were at a similar level, but I just didn't feel that it was worth
the time and money - each person doesn't get to talk very much because of the size of
the group, and while the tutors generally did a good job of coming up with interesting
topics, asking challenging questions, and ensuring that everyone gets a chance to
speak, they rarely corrected mistakes, of which there were many, including mine no
doubt. I think that for people at a lower level it's probably an easier and less
intimidating way to get used to conversing than a one-to-one exchange or an informal
meetup group, but at my level I get much more "bang for my buck" from the latter things
as I get to speak more and with more native or expert speakers. Anyway this one might
be worth a look especially since it's two minutes walk from my flat, but I suspect it
would just be more of the same.

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5333 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 12 of 12
10 July 2012 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
I did Michel Thomas as well and now I'm doing Assimil. Don't worry about another course
being too easy. Maybe the first couple courses of Assimil are very simple stuff but it
goes on to be quite dense. After MT you know very little vocabulary (but you have covered
a bunch of the essential verbs that will show up all the time) and Assimil or other
courses will help fill that gap. And for MT in written form which goes into more detail
and "finishes" the work on the verbs try Madrigal's Magical Key to Spanish.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version