France
Joined 4534 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 11
23 June 2012 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Hello :)
I am a French student in vacation for more than two months and I want to take this opportunity to improve my language skills in two languages : English and Russian.

English

I would say that I have a B1 level and since I love this language I want to have a B2 (maybe C1) level at the beginning of September. Until now, I watch nearly everyday one episode of a series in English and it makes me improve my oral understanding skill. Anyway, I have planned a program for this summer, everyday :
* Get a bigger vocabulary with Anki (10 minutes)
* Read an article of an English newspaper, pick up unknown words and translate one paragraph that I will compare with the translation of "Courrier International" (45 minutes)
Moreover, when I will have time, I :
* Write an entry in Lang-8 or,
* Watch an episode of a series or,
* Read a book.

In a nutshell, I will study English 1h30 a day approximately.

Russian

I am a totally beginner in this language, I know nothing but I am very motivated to learn this very exotic language. I may be idealistic but I hope to get an A1/A2 (ok, A1.5 :p) level in two months. I have bought an Assimil book and I have borrowed the Penguin Russian Course (which is in English, so, can I use it ?). So, everyday :

* Work a chapter in Assimil (45 minutes)
* Learn vocabulary (15 minutes)

And here again, when I will have some time, I :
* Listen an audio-book in Russian
* Write some entries in Russian, even if they will be very short.

(1h30 of Russian a day).

I hope I will manage to follow this "program" everyday. I think that 3 hours a day are enough to make me improve my language skills and not so big to enjoy the summer and the beaches (I live in the French Riviera :P).

I will begin Monday, have a great day !
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4607 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 11
23 June 2012 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like a nice plan! I would love to visit the beaches in France some day. They look really nice from pictures.

Your written English already seems quite good to me, and if you can write this well, I think that studying an English-based Russian course should definitely be possible. One minor thing that I saw a few times in your post: "every day" should be written as two words rather than one, for the sense in which you used it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4550 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 3 of 11
24 June 2012 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your studies! I'm studying French right now and I hope to study Russian
too one day. If you'd like, I can correct the mistakes you made in your post. There's
nothing too big, just some little things here and there.

One thing I'd say from my limited experience is that if you want a B2/C1 in English, you
should integrate speaking with natives into your "study" routine. Don't underestimate its
importance and benefits! You must surely meet some English speaking tourists if you live
on the French Riviera. For a more consistent experience, there are sites where you can
find language partners to chat with over Skype. Personally, I am really into videogames
so I made a post on a forum and now I talk with French people while I play Xbox (i.e.
with microphone), sometimes for as much as three hours a day.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jack Twist
Diglot
France
Joined 4534 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes

Message 4 of 11
24 June 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
@tastyonions : Thank you :) As for your remark, I get it !
French beaches are quite lovely, I hope you will visit them one day.

@Swift : Thanks ! I have had a English-speaking pen pal (on Facebook) for one year and I speak with him sometimes on Skype, good advice :)
If you may correct my mistakes, I would not say no.

Edited by Jack Twist on 24 June 2012 at 5:33pm

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4550 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 5 of 11
24 June 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Ok, I'll put the corrections in parentheses next to what I'm correcting, hopefully you
can follow it (it's too difficult to use italics and such on this site).

Hello :)
I am a French student in (ON) vacation for more than two months and I want to take
this opportunity to improve my language skills in two languages : English and Russian.

English

I would say that I have a B1 level and since I love this language I want to have a B2
(maybe C1) level at the beginning of September.

Until now, I watch nearly everyday one episode of a series in English (Until now, I've
watched an episode of a series in English nearly everyday) and it makes me improve (and
it improves/ helps improve) my oral understanding skill.

Anyway, I have planned a (daily) program for this summer:
* Get a bigger vocabulary with Anki (10 minutes)
* Read an article of an English newspaper, pick up unknown words and translate one
paragraph that I will compare with the translation of "Courrier International" (45
minutes)
Moreover, when I will have time (when I have time), I (will):
* Write an entry in Lang-8 or,
* Watch an episode of a series or,
* Read a book.

In a nutshell, I will study English 1h30 a day approximately.

Russian

I am a totally beginner in this language (I am totally a beginner/ I am a total
beginner), I know nothing but I am very motivated to learn this very exotic language (I
know nothing, but I am very motivated to learn it).

I may be idealistic but I hope to get an A1/A2 (ok, A1.5 :p) level in two months. I
have bought an Assimil book and I have borrowed the Penguin Russian Course (which is in
English, so, can I use it ?). So, everyday :

* Work a chapter in Assimil (45 minutes)
* Learn vocabulary (15 minutes)

And here again, when I will have some time (when I have some time), I (will) :
* Listen (to) an audio-book in Russian
* Write some entries in Russian, even if they will be very short.

(1h30 of Russian a day).

I hope I will manage to follow this "program" everyday. I think that 3 hours a day are
(is) enough to make me improve my language skills and not so big to enjoy the summer
and the beaches (I live in the French Riviera :P). (but not too big that I'll still be
able to enjoy the summer and beaches)

I will begin Monday, have a great day !

Hope that helps, please realise that all mistakes aren't blatant errors. Some of them
are subtle things that you will only learn and understand over time. For example, "3
hours a day are enough" makes sense grammatically, but "is" just sounds more correct to
me for some reason.

As for whether or not you should learn Russian through English, my advice would be no
if you only have a B1 in English. I'd make a post elsewhere in the forums to ask people
though, I don't have any experience with that sort of thing.

Good luck again!

Jack Twist
Diglot
France
Joined 4534 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes

Message 6 of 11
25 June 2012 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Hey, thank you for this correction :) It helps me a lot.
As for your remark, I think like you that it is more reasonable not to do so, I am seeking a good Russian grammar book.

Today, I did not have time to study Russian but it does not matter, I will tomorrow.
So, in English, I:
* read an article of the Time and learnt some new words that I included in my Anki deck.
* learnt new vocabulary by Anki
* watched an episode of 45 minutes in English.

Tomorrow, I will try to translate the former article into French and compare the translation with the "Courrier International" one. I will also do the contrary (French into English) and publish it on Lang-8.
I will reserve 1h30 for Russian too.

Goodbye :)

Jack Twist
Diglot
France
Joined 4534 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes

Message 7 of 11
26 June 2012 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
26 / 06 / 2012

English

Today, I learnt like usual my vocabulary by Anki. I did a translation exercise with the text of yesterday. I also read two articles on Australia : one about the tax mining and the second one about the Kangaroo Island. I picked up unknown words and I put them in my Anki deck. I also watched one 55-minutes episode of "Six Feet Under".

Russian

One month ago, I begun to study Russian and I worked four chapter of "Assimil". However, I had to give up because my examinations. So today, I work again this chapter to start from scratch. I created a Russian deck on Anki and put in it 30 words.

See ya !

Jack Twist
Diglot
France
Joined 4534 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes

Message 8 of 11
27 June 2012 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
27 / 06 / 2012

English

I learnt like everyday my vocabulary with Anki. I read three articles :
* Chicago Tribune - "Hoodie evolves into a symbol of protest"
* Los Angeles Time - "To Britain's metal thieves, nothing is sacred"
* The New York Times - "Selling America Abroad"
I added in Anki 50 new words from these articles.
I also translate an extract of a French article and posted it on Lang-8.
Finally, I watched an episode of Six Feet Under (55 minutes).

Russian

I worked the fifth lesson and learnt my Anki vocabulary.

Edited by Jack Twist on 27 June 2012 at 9:30pm

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version