United States
Joined 4865 days ago

14 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 2
23 June 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Intro
I use "picking up" on purpose, instead of studying. I think a language is akin to an organic thing, almost alive. And it is living all around. I have to just delve in, or tune in, to this organism and participate in it. Therefore I do not study it like another subject, say chemistry. I pick it up. Or acquire it. Or participate in it. Or make it my own. Own it.

Theory
1. Since French, like any (living) language is akin to a living organism, not a staid set of rules (or periodic table of elements);
2. Since humans have the unique capacity to acquire, or own, a language;
3. Since language is for communicating with other people; including expressing oneself:

Methodology
I will use a methodology that keeps all these elements in mind. Namely, it will stress acquiring the language for communicative (but not so much a formal notional-functional) purposes. For interacting with other people in the language. Whether in live conversation (language partners) or reading what others have written (print) or listening to what others are saying (the news, the audio bible), what others have created (French film, songs, games).

Thus there will be no FSI (audio-lingual) methodology. No hours and months of drilling in non real-life, non-contextual, non-meaningful, non-communicative setting that, after I have done so, will NOT prepare me to speak the language.

Instead there will be both gradual dipping (see texts) and immersion into the language.

Aural immersion: listening to the sounds of the language, the living organism, one's mind has the capability and capacity (deep syntax and all that) to "pick up" much of the language structure (syntax, grammar) and signals (sets of words conveying meaning) simplement by listening for HOURS of the language. No, this is not I+1. It is absorbing the language. And, contrary to what others might say, it is NOT passive. The brain is making meaning out of what it hears.

Visual-Aural Immersion: Since, what, 75% of communication is non-verbal, it is vital to be able to SEE French-speakers communicating in French. Thankfully there is a plethora of material for this. And this is also active, not passive learning.

Instant & continual gratification and application
If I am not making progress, my motivation to continue will wane and, perhaps, disappear. Thus I want to see positive effects immediately. I want to be communicating with other people from Day 1. Live people. Real people. So: text chat. Even phone chat. Gratification in making strides in communicating in the language, not "gratification" that I have conquered FSI to Unit 14.

Fluency or Mastery
This will be up to me to decide. How well to I wish to be able to communicate in French? How many mistakes can I tolerate? (NOTE: I do not consider language mistakes to be a bad thing, but a sign that I am trying to communicate within this organism called French, or to become part of the organism; however small or poorly-worded part I am at any given time or moment. If I can GET to the bathroom in a restaurant in Normandy, I will have succeeded, whether I made "grammar errors" or not.

Conversation and writing will commence from the beginning. I am not a believer in saving writing for last, or putting it off to one has a "firm grasp" of the sounds, or of the syntax, or of the [...]. Indeed, text chat requires writing. And since the goal for me is to communicate, utilizing writing (however "horrid" and however "mistake-filled"--actually it won't be that bad) will start from the start.

The same for communication with speakers of French. There is hardly a faster way to own a language than communicating in it. Of course, the level at which I communicate will be based upon my process through the texts and immersive material.

Reading
I also don't believe in putting off reading until some magical level has been achieved. It can start immediately. In the texts I use. But also, for instance, in French journals or the script of a French film (a great one I like for this is the script of "Umbrellas of Cherbourg."). So what if I can understand only xx %. It is xx % more than I could understand a week ago, a month ago, six months ago. And I will be pleasantly surprised by things I can now understand that I previously could not, and, more so, by seeing structures in print that I had picked up by other means

Material

For aural immersion: primarily for me, the French Audio New Testament (easily available on the internet); since I am familiar with the contents of the NT, then this is a bit of a cheat, or rather, a kick start, in helping me grasp the sound and meaning. Other sources will include material from Radio French International (RFI), including its News in Francais facile; and its broadcasts of music.

Visual-Aural immersion:
8 years ago I watched the Umbrellas of Cherbourg without sub-titles. I wanted to just experience the movie without the distraction that they can be. I can't SEE the communication if I am reading the sub-titles. Nevertheless, I immediately re-watched the film with the sub-titles.

So, anyway, French film, with and without sub-titles. And repeat viewings of my favorites, or those which prove most helpful and/or entertaining (Umbrellas, Breathless, Une femme est une femme.)

I have just learned about the 52 video series "French in Action." Wow. Talk about a gold mine of great material.

"Texts"
I am eschewing Pimsleur for French. I've been there, done that for Russian, Spanish, Mandarin. I may utilize Pimsleur later but not immediately and it is not on a time table.

1. Michel Thomas, all levels: I know of no other program that gets one to think in French like this one. I found that to be the case with Mandarin. It is also the case, through CD 3, in French. I don't care what others say about it, it works for me.

2. Assimil French without toil (1940) - I have never tried Assimil before. I looked briefly at this one and the New French with Ease, and I chose FwoT 1940. I could have gone either way. The important point was to pick one and stick with it.

3. Fluenz - I don't care [that you didn't murder your wife, doctor] and I don't care what others say about it. I find it to be a great resource. I do not at all mind grammatical explanations (heck, I will even read those in FSI). I am an adult, I have tools that kids do not, at my disposal to help own French.

My concern with Fluenz is that it provides no exercises. No substitution exercises. I never said all and any drilling was bad. But that drilling without meaningful context is not the best way to go. So I wish that Fluenz would include exercises where you have to put what you have learned to use in creating new expressions. I find this a major fault in this program. Nonetheless, the course does help with: instant & continual gratification and the sense that, sans conversation partners, I am making progress.

Fluenz is very good for teaching writing, including the accent marks.

Simultaneous exposure
The above 5 are my major "texts". All worked on, on a daily basis. yes, plodding through the three "courses" simultaneously; as well as daily aural-visual immersion and, if possible, real life communication with human French speakers.

I have chosen my material with thought and care. I will not be bouncing from one to another. But working through them simultaneously. Since they all "begin the begin," that is, begin at the beginning: they provide overlapping material and a chance to see and practice what I've acquired in one "course" in another one. This also provides gratification.

(4) Rosetta Stone. Laugh if you will. Criticize if you will. Say it is waste of time, if you will, I will respond that FSI is a waste of time. nevertheless there ARE some very good things that Rosetta Stone can supply, as a supplement to one picking up a (second) Romance language:
i. lots of contextualized sentences by native speakers;
ii. slightly repetitive "drilling" and substitution exercises;
iii. opportunity to write the language (this is also in Fluenz).
iv. lots of vocabulary
v. it is fun.
Language acquisition should not be a drag.

Nevertheless, Rosetta Stone is far down on my list of resources.

Language (Exchange) Partners: the growing ability to communicate within a new language can start at the beginning. That is the purpose of acquiring, or making one's own, a new language.

But what about Grammar?
And specific vocabulary?

It is picked up through Assimil, through Michel Thomas, through immersion, through Fluenz, through feedback from language partners, AND, when all else fails, my personal override:

FROM ME WANTING TO KNOW HOW TO EXPRESS SOMETHING WHEN I WANT TO EXPRESS IT.

In other words, I aint gonna "rememberize" systematically the grammar (other than how it comes through Assimil, chiefly), or even learn how to count from 1 to 20, or 10 to 100, or tell time, or introduce people, or say where I am from-- until I WANT to say that. Until I choose to acquire that so that I can communicate it when I want to communicate it. I'll look at a grammar book when I want to.

So, with French, "I'll do it my way." If I have stepped on your toes, realize that what works for some does not have to work, nor does work, for others.

Edited by aaronfan on 23 June 2012 at 10:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4607 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 2
24 June 2012 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Bon courage!

Moi, j'utilise "French In Action" aussi. J'aime cette serie et je trouve ça très bénéfique.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version