Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4479 days ago

56 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 25
25 June 2012 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
OK, so I have wanted to learn Italian for a while now but have never had the time to
actually go ahead and do it. I have now realised that I will never have any more time
than I do at present so I am just going to have to make time for it.

I started off using rosetta stone last week but after reading peoples views of it on
here I have decided to stop using it and to use Michel Thomas followed by Assimil
Italian with Ease. So far I have got to lesson 7 on the first CD of MT and I plan on
doing lessons 7 through to 9 later on today with a review of lesson 6.

One question, how long does the Assimil course usually take on average? I know everyone
is different but I have no idea how long to allow for it.

I really love the Italian language and my wife and I spend at least a week in Italy
every year (Tropea, Calabria if anyone knows it?) so if that isn't enough reason and
motivation to learn Italian, I don't know what is! lol

I shall update this later once I have completed my lessons :)

Ciao :)

Edited by gravityguy on 25 June 2012 at 2:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

gravityguy
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4479 days ago

56 posts - 77 votes 

Message 2 of 25
25 June 2012 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
I did a review of lesson 6 at lunchtime followed by lesson 7. I uploaded the files to my
smart phone and then played them through my car stereo in the car park at work. Must have
looked amusing to anyone walking by. I found it a good way to listen though as I never
utilise my lunch break with anything useful.

Lessons 8 and 9 later

gravityguy
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4479 days ago

56 posts - 77 votes 

Message 3 of 25
26 June 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Day 2 of my Italian log.

Yesterday I did 3 'tracks' from the MT taking up to track 10. Today I have finished CD
1 in my lunch break and then completed the first track on CD2. I had forgotten a couple
of verbs but as MT says not to try to remember, I shall just see what happens later on
and whether I remember them again or not.

I've also bee trying to read some euronews in Italian but I am really not sure what I
should be doing with it as I understamd pretty much nothing. I have tried guessing what
is being said and then using google translate to see if I am correct. Sometimes I am
close but mostly well out. i think the bigest problem at the minute is my lack of vocab
and also my lack of understanding when it comes to past, present, future, tenses etc,
as well as verb meanings.

One example is the use of the verb avere, which I know means 'to have'. In the article
I am reading it shows as di aver, which when I put it into google by itself, it comes
back as having, but when in the context of the story, it comes back as you have, which
I thought was 'ha'?

Maybe I will just hold off on trying to read and interpret news stories and the like
until I have a better basic understanding of the structure of the language, as I am
sure that trying to read it now is just going to confuse the hell out of me.

I shall do another 3 tracks from MT tonight which will take me to almost half way
through CD 2.

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4871 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 4 of 25
26 June 2012 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Looks like you're making progress! Google translate is a good tool, particularly when
you're starting, but sometimes it'll spit something out that's not quite right. I don't
fully trust it, myself. Anyway, "aver" is a shortened version of "avere," as you may
have guessed, which means it's in the infinitive, which is probably because of the preposition "di" just before it. I might be able to tell you more if I had the story.
You're correct, though: "you have" is typically rendered "ha" for formal situations,
and "hai" for informal ones. "Ha" can also mean "he has," "she has," or "it has,"
depending. As for "di aver," who or what it's talking about depends entirely on what
comes before "di." For example, a sentence I pulled from a random web search:

Capisci di aver letto un buon libro quando giri l'ultima pagina e ti senti come se
avessi perso un amico.

You know you have read a good book when you turn the last page and you feel like you've
lost a friend.

"Capisci" is already changed from "capire" (to understand/know) to mean "you
understand/know." While in English we just add another "you" and the verb would change
accordingly, the sentence just puts in a "di aver" to mean the same thing. More
literally you might translate it as "You know of having read..."
"Avere" here acts as an auxiliary verb, required for the past tense. "Letto" is
the past participle of "leggere," which isn't apparent with "to read" in English, since
we spell "read" (present tense) and "read" (past tense) the same. But the Italian is
sort of like "I walk" and "I walked."

The usage of the construction isn't very easy, but before you know it you'll be able to
piece it together at least enough to understand. If you'd rather abandon the news for
now, though, your Assimil course works a lot like a graded reader, where things start
simple and get more complex as you go. You can always return to the news when you feel
a little more comfortable.

It looks like your building up some good momentum! Keep up the good work, and sorry for
the super-long posts I keep adding to your threads :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

gravityguy
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4479 days ago

56 posts - 77 votes 

Message 5 of 25
26 June 2012 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Mikonai, I very much enjoy reading your 'super long posts', especially as they contain so
much useful information. I am very grateful that you don't mind taking time out of your
day to help me! :)

I actually knew the verb leggere from RS. Nice to know that it has taught me something (I
better say no more about RS though or I'll be shot for being a troll! haha).

Just out of interest Mikonai, how long have you been speaking/learning Italian for? I
can't wait until I know as much as yourself! :)

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4871 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 6 of 25
26 June 2012 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
It's my pleasure! One of the best ways I learn and remember things is by trying to
teach it to someone else. If I can explain it so someone else understands it, then I
know I understand it myself.

I've been learning on and off for years now, but most of my real progress has come in
my slightly more steady studying of the past two years, I'd say. I'm just a little bit
of a grammar nut; I like learning the rules of stuff, but usage is what gets me. I'm
just a little too nervous to start talking to people, and that's probably what holds me
back the most. I could probably get by with my knowledge, but with a lot of errors,
mostly due to lack of practice.

I think the hardest part about learning a new language is learning how to learn. You
should be sure to take some time and try every technique you can, and see what works
for you. The most important things to have, in my opinion, are dedication and
enthusiasm. Try and have some fun, but unfortunately not all of language learning is
going to be fun for you. Keeping a language log is a great step to keep yourself on
track :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

gravityguy
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4479 days ago

56 posts - 77 votes 

Message 7 of 25
26 June 2012 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
...another 4 tracks completed. Now half way through CD 2.

gravityguy
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4479 days ago

56 posts - 77 votes 

Message 8 of 25
28 June 2012 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
mikonai wrote:
I think the hardest part about learning a new language is learning how
to learn. You
should be sure to take some time and try every technique you can, and see what works
for you. The most important things to have, in my opinion, are dedication and
enthusiasm. Try and have some fun, but unfortunately not all of language learning is
going to be fun for you. Keeping a language log is a great step to keep yourself on
track :)

I think your first point in the above quote is especially valid. There are so many good
sites and ways of learning that it can be easy to get bogged down and end up spending
more time looking at what to learn than learning itself. I'm also finding it difficult
to know if what I am doing is actually correct or effective. I also think your point
about the fact that not all of the learning is going to be fun is also very much
correct. See paragraph below for this. One thing I am finding useful (even though I
have only been learning for a few days) is this forum; people on here are so helpful.
I've never been a really big user of forums previously but I can see myself spending
more time on here than I do with my wife (well maybe not quite, but almost)! lol

After my last post the other night where I had got half way through CD 2, I then
actually carried on and finished off CD 2. I was actually quite impressed with myself
for doing so much, although my brain felt pretty dead at the end of it!

Last night I came to CD 3 and found that I was struggling with it. It wasn't so much
the structure of the sentences I was supposed to be forming (although there were a few
times when I couldn't remember the correct endings for things like ro ra and remo). The
biggest problem was remembering the actual verbs themselves. You are given so many
verbs in such a short space of time that I was really struggling to remember which was
which. The people on the recordings seem to be doing far better than in remembering the
verbs. I did 3 out of the 10 tracks on CD 3 but was getting really frustrated so I
decided to stop for the night. I don't think it helped that I had a very stressful
commercial meeting with a client yesterday afternoon which had already mentally
destroyed me!

I think that I will go back to the last 2 or 3 tracks on CD 2 and have another listen
to them to try and instil it into my head a little better. This comes back to the point
though about learning how to learn. Obviously MT says that you shouldn't try and
remember what he teaches so does this mean that I shouldn't go back and revisit the
tracks? Surely it can't hurt to listen to them again. Also, with regards to not trying
to remember what he is teaching is actually really hard, especially when there are
certain things that you can't remember when he asks how do you say 'I don't have it
right now because it is not ready but you can have it this evening' (can't remember if
that is one of the things he asks but it is certainly close). When he asks I end up
sitting there thinking 'how do I say "you can have it..."'. Then I press play when I
can't remember, hear them say it correctly and then kick myself. I then cannot help but
start thinking of how to say different things after I have finished, even though I know
he says not to do this.

Anyway, yesterday was one of those days that wasn't fun and that I didn't enjoy. I
suppose the thing to do now is just carry on and move forward (after I have re-visited
the last couple of tracks from CD 2 that is).

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version