United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

17 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Latin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hungarian, German
Studies: Sámi

Message 1 of 4
26 June 2012 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
I haven't been active on here for a while, since I realised that revising for my public examinations IS in fact more important than learning random languages. Fortunately, revising for my exams meant studying French, Latin and Ancient Greek, but I haven't been anywhere near Hungarian for weeks. My exams are all finished now and I have a seemingly endless summer ahead of me - so what better is there to do than fill it with language study! My current plan :

27th June - 2nd July : Intensive Hungarian/German (possibly 2-3 lessons of Assimil a day and plenty of listening to the radio and reading.)
3rd July - 12 July : Summer school in Syriac + more Hungarian/German whenever I get the chance (probably on the train!)
13th July - 28th July : Absolutely nothing to do except study. I will probably try and do some North Sámi in this period as well. I will at least try to work my way through Gulahalan.
29th July - 11th August : Summer school in Ancient Greek (by the sound of it, I won't have much free time here but hopefully I can get some reading in for my Hungarian.)
15th August - 2nd September : In Spain! I tried learning some Spanish but quickly got bored of it. I'll probably try and learn some basic Basque on the way down just to impress the locals!
Then I have the whole of September off as well . . .

I'm going to try to study for as many hours of each day as I can, as I don't have a lot else to do! It'll be interesting to see how much I feel my languages have improved in this time. If I have any time left over, I would quite like to venture into Czech and some other Finno-Ugric languages.

Wish me luck!
1 person has voted this message useful

appelduvide
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

17 posts - 24 votes

Message 2 of 4
28 June 2012 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
DAY 1

I completed three lessons of Assimil Hungarian today. It took me a while to get back into the language (and the introduction of verb prefixes in lesson 24 didn't help!) but I now feel comfortable with it again.
I also listened to Kossuth Rádió for a bit and, while I didn't understand very much, I was able to get the general gist of the programme. They were talking about the supression of Hungarian in Slovakia, I think.
Finally, I just watched an excellent Hungarian film, "Az ötödik pecsét" (The Fifth Seal) by Zoltán Fábri. I would highly recommend it!

appelduvide
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

17 posts - 24 votes

Message 3 of 4
29 June 2012 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
DAY 2

Unfortunately I didn't get a lot done today. I managed to fit in one lesson of Assimil Hungarian which again dealt with verb prefixes which have so far been the most frustrating thing for me as it's always difficult to tell when you need 'meg-', for example. It also introduced the subjunctive, which I feel very comfortable with now. In fact, I think that the Hungarian verb is much easier than Romance verbs (once you've got used to the definite/indefinite distinction, of course!)
I also did some lessons on Gulahalan and tried memorising some of the more common instances of consonant gradation.

appelduvide
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

17 posts - 24 votes

Message 4 of 4
02 July 2012 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
DAYs 3, 4, 5, 6

Well, I had a very busy weekend so I didn't get a lot done besides a few lessons of Assimil for Hungarian. I did however finally get round to watched "A torinói ló" (The Turin Horse) by Béla Tarr which is an excellent film, but unfortunately doesn't contain much speech. On Sunday night I had a dinner where we somehow managed to speak English, French, German and Hungarian through the course of the evening. I also spent most of this afternoon learning North Sámi noun paradigms because I know how to have a good time!
My Syriac classes start tomorrow so I'll have less time to work on my other languages, but hopefully I can get a lesson of Assimil in in the evenings, and some reading on the train.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version