Diglot
United States
Joined 5527 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 1 of 12
27 June 2012 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
Alrighty, long story short, I'm going to actually buckle down and FINISH FSI German. I have a lot of books that I just buy and dabble through, never really getting through or finishing any of them. I've got a good 10-12 German books I need to finish, starting with FSI. I have the entire course (all 24 units) that I'll finish within the next 3 months (everyday study), and probably go through Assimil again before the holidays. I'm not new to German, I'd probably put myself at a B1 level.

Overall Goals:
Finish FSI, Assimil, some vocab books, slang, and grammar study.
C1 Level by the time I leave college (in two years).

I have a lot of usable time that I just don't put towards a goal, and it's time that I do. No more excuses :)

DAY ONE: Completed 1/3 of Unit 1, I can do much more tomorrow!

I'll be keeping up with this on a day to day basis, if all goes to plan!

Wish me luck!

1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6321 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 12
27 June 2012 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
Good luck!

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5507 days ago

938 posts - 1840 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 3 of 12
27 June 2012 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Can't wait to see your updates - I am thinking of doing FSI in German - just to see how
well it works and your quest would be excellent for comparison. Viel Erfolg!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5108 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 4 of 12
27 June 2012 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
I'm not a beginner to German either, but this time I need a material that covers vocabulary extensively so I can finally improve my reading - I'm better at speaking than at reading, since passive vocabulary is falling apart. I hope you can get massive vocabulary from FSI.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5527 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 

Message 5 of 12
27 June 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I'm not a beginner to German either, but this time I need a material that covers vocabulary extensively so I can finally improve my reading - I'm better at speaking than at reading, since passive vocabulary is falling apart. I hope you can get massive vocabulary from FSI.

I've heard great things about it, aside from it being relatively boring. My plan of attack is to do 20 minutes at a time, 3 times a day, completing a unit every 2-3 days. It drills you so much on vocabulary and sentences that you don't really have to go back and review in my opinion.

Day 2 Update: Completed UNIT 1, on to Unit 2. I've done unit 1 several times, only to quit further on or get distracted. Not happening this time :D

Avid Learner
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4604 days ago

100 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 6 of 12
28 June 2012 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:

I've estimated there must be around 2000 words (anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I don't know if that's massive enough for you. I'm 2/3 into it and when I read or watch TV I do find I lack vocabulary a lot, so I'm now trying to add other activities on top of FSI to compensate because I have a feeling that even by unit 24 the difference may not be that significant. In fact, I'm slowing down a little on FSI now. Unit 19 to 24 seem lighter than 12 to 18 by a lot anyway, so I'll be happy to be done by Christmas and that seems feasible.

datsunking1 wrote:
I've heard great things about it, aside from it being relatively boring. My plan of attack is to do 20 minutes at a time, 3 times a day, completing a unit every 2-3 days. It drills you so much on vocabulary and sentences that you don't really have to go back and review in my opinion.

I've been studying for 9 months (starting from the knowledge of about half of unit 1 at most) and I should complete unit 15 in the next few days.

I almost never revised, but I do feel I have forgotten little things here and there and now I do want to set a little bit of time aside to review the previous units. I haven't rushed through the program by any mean, but I wouldn't necessarily be so comfortable that it was just like in my native tongue either, and I needed to learn something new every two weeks or it would have gotten boring. But since you seem more advanced than I am, perhaps it'll be easier for you.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5527 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 

Message 7 of 12
28 June 2012 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Avid are you happy with it so far? I don't think I've ever made it past Unit 4 to be honest. I have completed Assimil up to lesson 80 (at that point it got boring/useless to me) and listen to German music/tv nearly everyday. I don't see why you couldn't get through those last lessons in the next month or two!

I'm not sure if I'll finish it in the next 3 months, I'm just hoping to. I really spend a lot of time on the variation drills and translation exercises (that part where you translate from English to German) because that's where most of my trouble is, forming the sentences instantly.

Let me know how it goes! Do you have a log too?

Good luck :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5527 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 

Message 8 of 12
29 June 2012 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Day 3:

Finished the first part of unit 2, reviewed the entire unit (the audio drills) and just need to finish the variation exercises at the end.

For some reason I actually don't mind FSI now...

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version