Joined 4604 days ago

100 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 9 of 12
29 June 2012 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
Avid are you happy with it so far?

Yes I am, everything is well explained and it's rare that I have to wonder "why this?" or "why that"?, and usually the answer comes in a later unit. It's not annoying anyway.

datsunking1 wrote:
I don't think I've ever made it past Unit 4 to be honest. I have completed Assimil up to lesson 80 (at that point it got boring/useless to me) and listen to German music/tv nearly everyday. I don't see why you couldn't get through those last lessons in the next month or two!

It takes me about 15 hours per unit, and I can't put in much more than an hour a day; and when I do, which happens more and more often in fact, I try to incorporate more variety. I've just started watching TV and reading outside of the FSI course.

For example, this weekend, I was planning to go through the vocabulary drills for unit 15. I have three days and I'm sure that this is a minimum, and I'll put in more than an hour per day. Usually it takes me several revision over a few days to really be able to get through the vocabulary and variation drills without too many mistakes, and even then it's still not as natural as in my native language.

Unit 16 seems of average length, but 17 and 18 seem really longer. 17 is revision of little things, I believe, but having not revised, I'm sure there are many things I will have forgotten. Since I also want to devote more time to reading, TV and perhaps even writing, I'm already planning 3 weeks for each of these two. So I should be done by the end of August.

19-20-21 are average, 22 to 24 seem much shorter, but I'll be more busy this fall, so it's perfectly fine if it takes me a few months - I'm eager to learn more vocabulary and, as I said, improve all skills overall, and I think it's to my benefit to start working on these now as opposed to waiting until I've finished the entire course, since I already know the most critical aspects of the grammar.

I was really hoping to be done with the course earlier, but then realized that I can't realistically go that much faster. In total in the past 9 months, there are perhaps 4 weeks during which I haven't studied much, so...!

Good for you if you can do it all much faster than I can! :) You seem ahead of me already, so I can see why you would be able to progress fast for at least several units.

datsunking1 wrote:
Let me know how it goes! Do you have a log too?

No, but if you are curious, I could start one. I'd stop writing long posts in your own log, at least. ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5527 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 10 of 12
01 July 2012 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
^^ Hey I don't mind! With the way I'm progressing (or not) in the last few days, you'll always be ahead of me :D At least you're happy with the course before I follow!

Day 4: I didn't do anything yesterday, didn't have much time. I reviewed the first half of Unit 2 today, and plan on finishing it tomorrow when I have more time and energy. Quite a long day today!

Avid Learner
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4604 days ago

100 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 11 of 12
01 July 2012 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
Okay phew, I was a bit afraid I would seem to be interfering, but it was already written so I didn't cut the text. In any case, I did start a log tonight.

Well, you are already ahead of me since I'm definitely not B1! ;) I think in theory B1 would be at the end of unit 18 anyway (or something like that).

It's indeed very difficult to study when exhausted (and not very efficient).

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5807 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 12 of 12
01 July 2012 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
I went through about 3/4ths of the course before just reading through all the grammar bits without doing the drills. After Unit 12, the English prompts in the translation drills aren't read anymore, you've got to do them reading from the book and it was just too burdensome. As a whole, i thought the course was dreadfully boring and painful to continue. So much technical vocabulary, lots of government-related vocabulary which i have no idea what it is in English. It covers the grammar pretty well, though. I've done FSI Spanish and thought it was amazing, FSI French all the way and while not as good as the Spanish course thought it was still alright. But i really just got bored of the format (and content) of the German course. The old Assimil German course, however, (i'm not sure which you are doing) was absolutely wonderful.

Anyway, i wish you lots of luck and success :)

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version