Germany
despairedreading.worRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4489 days ago

37 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Japanese
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 1 of 2
29 June 2012 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
I've been studying Japanese for almost three years now and actually made it to a pretty nice level (I'm taking the
JLPT N1 next Sunday and it seems I can even pass it), but I often feel I'm lacking some kind of "intelligent"
vocabulary apart from epic lists we had to learn by heart for university purposes.
I blame it on almost exclusively reading Japanese manga and light novels (novels for a mostly male audience
from teenage to early twenties, mostly including some illustrations in manga-style) instead of "real books", so I
decided to put more emphasis on reading those. The Advanced Challenge of course seemed like a good chance
to do so a bit more systematically, which is why I registered for it.
I'm also doing writing and watching of course, though the new consuming of books will probably have an effect
on my lang-8 entries and give me ideas, and for watching I'm kind of "hopeless" - I don't think I can get rid of my
Otaku-Addiction here.

Anyway, I've been reading more "classical" stuff recently: one short story by Arishima Takeo and two by
Akutagawa Ryûnosuke. At the moment, the inspiration on what to read comes from a manga I like that makes fun
of certain stories/novels/poems through the chapter titles.
However, I'm always open to suggestions, so if you know a novel in Japanese I should absolutely read - tell me!

Apart from my own blog and my twitter, this will now be my place to keep track of what I read and what else I'm
doing for my Japanese to improve :)

Edited by Umin on 29 June 2012 at 5:24am

1 person has voted this message useful

Umin
Triglot
Germany
despairedreading.worRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4489 days ago

37 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Japanese
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 2
30 June 2012 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
As I have the N1 going on tomorrow, all I did today was taking one last mock exam before I finally allowed myself to
relax before the test. I didn't really score that super-well, but it was a passing score (130/180) and I hope I can
repeat at least the same thing tomorrow and pass the JLPT. That would already give me quite some confidence with
my Japanese.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version