HaroldBloomTomb
United States
Joined 4475 days ago

18 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew

Message 1 of 3
12 July 2012 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Despite finding myself insanely attracted to French in the past few days, I intend to
use this log as a means to encourage and further my interest and skill in German. I
will be implementing as my language learning method a modified L-R method as applied to
Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen, the first in the Harry Potter series. In many
cases, supposing I move beyond Harry Potter in the German, I will probably ignore the
first step in the L-R method (reading the text in L-1). With Harry Potter and the
little Kafka that I have done, this hasn't been a problem. I have also with German
since abandoned the second step as well, already having done it to whatever
satisfaction my mind thought meaningful.

The third step will be the crux of my modified L-R (I think it is the crux of the
original as well). The fourth step and especially the fifth step, I will make time for
after the 70 hour time is reached.

Here, I record my present L-R, third-step, tabulation, by hour.

German - 7:31 hours - Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

In the future, the tabulation will appear at the top of the page, following Teango's
format to the best of my ability.

Any comments, helpful, critical, encouraging, and not so encouraging, instructional,
and laughable, are welcome. Comments especially relating to the efficacy of the L-R
method are welcome. I don't really know what's happened to the L-R method since
atamagaii passed (from the forum, that is).
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5474 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 3
12 July 2012 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Sounds like fun!

I remain convinced that Assimil is really just short, entertaining L/R exercises that
become progressively more difficult as the book progresses. And Assimil is as popular as
ever around here, so there's a lot of people doing some form of L/R.

I occasionally use a slightly modified L/R method—I read the ebook in L2, looking up any
interesting words with a popup dictionary (or perhaps skimming the L1 text if it's a
harder book). Then I do L2 text with L2 audio several times through a single chapter.
This seems to work tolerably well at the intermediate levels.

2 persons have voted this message useful

HaroldBloomTomb
United States
Joined 4475 days ago

18 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew

Message 3 of 3
12 July 2012 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
German - 10:17 hours - Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

Wow, didn't expect to get such a quick response. I've heard about Assimil, but I've
barely experimented with it.

Tonight may have been as much as I've done at a time. You feel your attention wax and
wane as the story progresses, with occasionally renewed but not necessarily lasting
focus on words. Ironically, as my interest in the story itself increased, I
increasingly found myself a lesser listener. I became more and more interested in the
plot and became less and less interested in individual sentences. Unconsciously, I
would find myself skimming down to a more key or important sentence, in order to grasp,
plotwise, what would come next.

I wish I could devote more than one, two, or three hours a night to the language, but
all I have is the night. These ten hour days, that were talked about as one of the
fundamental differences that L-R offered, are unattainable to me, because I am
employed. Do you have to be unemployed, on summer vacation, or in high school to slug
it out for these multi-day cram sessions? I mean 10 hours! I understand that people
do it but not where they get the time.

Regardless, at their best, the pleasures offered by this method far outclass in worth
and substance (in my opinion) the pleasures of an extensive reading approach (Kato
Lomb), an extensive listening approach (without L-1 text), or some of the mixed
compromise approaches promoted by people like Iverson. I mean, this just seems so
easy. I have the foreign language material proper (this time communicated by ear), but
also, an L-1 text, which, because it is text and not sound, does not interfere with
comprehension, but actually assists it. It is as close to simultaneous comprehension
of a foreign word and foreign sentence as is offered. Even the sentence comparisons
that a bilingual text offers stutter in comparison to what is allowed here. When
reading with a bilingual text, you must choose a moment to break to look at the
other text. This choosing bashes one of the reverie, out of the flow, into the
conscious decision making process of daily life. We are taken out of the story, into a
jumble of words, which nevertheless remain largely comprehensible if done side by side.   
But the discontinuity, the jump, remains.

I think there is some discontinuity in this schema of learning, but it is not a jump.
It is more like a grab and scramble, an extended falling forward into the abyss of the
story, with a undertone subtext running contrapuntally along. It is very unique and,
whether found on Assimil or on posts by L-Rers, wonderfully exciting to me. I expect
to burn out, but hope desperately for a pleasant surprise to the contrary

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version