China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 10 of 73
12 August 2008 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Finished Unit 16. Easy unit, only covered one topic that happened to be easy as well, the redundant construction with clitics. I'm so excited to move to Unit 17 because I finally get to learn the past tense, which Pimsleur taught horribly.

On to Unit 17.
1 person has voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 11 of 73
15 August 2008 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Finished Unit 17, on to Unit 18 and Level 3. Spent a little bit longer than normal because I really wanted to make sure I had the PAST 1 regular verbs down pat.

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 12 of 73
18 August 2008 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Finished Unit 18 yesterday, going to 19 today.

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 13 of 73
21 August 2008 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Finished 19 going to Unit 20. Ended up not studying much for a day. Almost the first day without studying 1 to 2 hours in a long time.

Edited by irrationale on 21 August 2008 at 5:48am

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 14 of 73
22 August 2008 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
In the middle of Unit 20, studying combinations of clictics and definite pronouns.

I have to admit, its sometimes difficult for me to translate phrases such as; "the professor has already given them to us" in approx 3 seconds without making a mistake. I have always had trouble with these constructions for some reason, and I really need to overcome this and do them instantly.

On the brightside, I feel like I have hit a milestone. I have been having tons of conversations on livemocha. I have a fluent (more or less depending on topic) Spanish convo almost everyday that lasts about 30min to 1 hour. Also, I have realized that I have become a fluent spoken basic conversationalist as long as the topic isn't complicated or philosophical. I think of have broken some type of barrier there, probably moved from the Mid High to Advanced level, and is probably due to the fact that FSI has really hammered PAST I and PAST II into my head and given me that whole span of time to work with now. Also, the substitution drills and replacement drills have really improved my subconcious feel of Spanish grammar. So, I have decided to say that I speak Spanish now on my profile.

For anyone reading this, this is only because I work around Spanish speakers everyday, have a Spanish speaking friend, and constantly communicate with them in any way I can. I try to conversate as much as possible...I really don't see how you can converse without practicing real conversation! Almost 4 long (very long) months later, I have finally become comfortable conversing and feel like I own the language (at a basic level at least).

Edited by irrationale on 23 August 2008 at 2:35am

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 15 of 73
24 August 2008 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Starting Unit 21.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5936 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 16 of 73
24 August 2008 at 5:40am | IP Logged 
irrationale wrote:

On the brightside, I feel like I have hit a milestone... I have realized that I have become a fluent spoken basic conversationalist as long as the topic isn't complicated or philosophical... Almost 4 long (very long) months later, I have finally become comfortable conversing and feel like I own the language (at a basic level at least).

Well then, let me be the first, here anyway, to congratulate you. It is a nice feeling. I reached it a little while ago with my french. Was quite happy with myself. Then I realised how much more I still have to learn.

Good luck, keep going, and keep up your journal.

Thom.

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version