Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 17 of 73
29 August 2008 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
Thx ExtraLean :)

Been a busy couple of days, but I managed to finish units 21 and 22. I would say each unit took around 3 hours to complete.

Unit 21 was huge, but actually quite easy because most of it (irregular PAST 1 verbs) I have experienced with Pimsleur. FSI finally covers them, in overdue time. The rest was variations on a theme. Unit 22, stem changing verbs was more variations and simple memorization.

Speaking of Unit 22, this unit had, by far, the worst audio quality I've heard. I'm not sure why it was so bad, but it was almost unusable. I had to constantly refer to the text. There was no sibilance, so I couldn't understand any "s" "t", etc. This really pissed me off because of the word "vuelve" which is quite hard to pronounce for English speakers; I am fortunate enough to be around native speakers!

Starting unit 23.
1 person has voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 18 of 73
02 September 2008 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Starting Unit 24

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 19 of 73
06 September 2008 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Starting 25, and Level 4. Unit 24 took longer because it is about clitics, as with this one. Clitics continue to give me the most trouble...

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 20 of 73
09 September 2008 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Starting Unit 26.

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 21 of 73
12 September 2008 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Unit 26 was quite confusing, I must admit. The difference between comer and comerse, etc, still irks me. I think I am catching on, but I really want to intuitively feel it, and not have to remember every time I use it. I suppose that will come with time.

Starting Unit 27. Finally I get to learn commands, so I can stop sounding like an idiot at work, and start commanding people! (Joking). Seriously though, I have been waiting for this for a while and I am going to devour this unit whole. I just love it when you learn some simple rules that open your vocab and expressive ability so much.

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 22 of 73
14 September 2008 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
Starting Unit 28.

Commands have improved my fluency GREATLY, since they are used so often in my work setting. I'm sure that my Spanish sounds much better to the ears than before, and I can thank FSI for this. This program is getting better and better in my eyes and its hard for me to slow down!

I had my first semi-philosophical political complex conversation today so that was some sort of milestone. It was frustrating though because I had to ask to repeat several times (he has a Argentine accent and was speaking very fast!), and I lacked all the words to express my thoughts adequately. I think maybe I need to start learning more vocab than what FSI is giving me, so I will ponder this...

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 23 of 73
18 September 2008 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
Starting Unit 29.

The informal command business is annoying, and is not coming to me automatically yet because the rules seem quite random. Everything else is easy right now.

NYC_Trini_Span
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 7165 days ago

60 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 24 of 73
19 September 2008 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
I want to begin my FSI programmatic 1&2, but i have done Pimsleur 1, LSLC 1 & 2, and finished the Verb and also Pronoun/Preposition "Practice Makes Perfect Books". I also was able to live in Dominican Republic for 22 collective months since late 2005. I just moved back to NY again May 2008.

I now teach basic Spanish and want to improve to a high advanced. I'm high intermediate to low advanced now.

I think the TĂș commands can be tricky for irregular ones at first. But always remember that saying "Don't" means using the SAME word as usted, but with an "S" slapped on the end of it.

Ten, no tengas

Di, no digas ........... diME, no ME digas ..........dimelo, no me lo digas

Sal, no salgas

ecetera

Edited by NYC_Trini_Span on 19 September 2008 at 1:05pm

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version