Shaun Wylde
United States
Joined 5860 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 25 of 73
19 September 2008 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your progress and success irrationale!

I began the FSI course http:// fsi-language-courses .com/Spanish.aspx (not sure if this is the same FSI you refer to here) on Wednesday and will start Unit 3 today. After reading that you had first studied the Pimsleur courses I decided to look into it. It is unfortunately a large expense that I am unable to incur at this point in time. However, I am dedicated to learning this language as efficiently as possible.

Would you mind telling me a bit about the program and how much of an asset it has been to your success? I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks and good luck in your future endeavors!
-Shaun
1 person has voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 26 of 73
20 September 2008 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
NYC_Trini_Span wrote:
I want to begin my FSI programmatic 1&2, but i have done Pimsleur 1, LSLC 1 & 2, and finished the Verb and also Pronoun/Preposition "Practice Makes Perfect Books". I also was able to live in Dominican Republic for 22 collective months since late 2005. I just moved back to NY again May 2008.

I now teach basic Spanish and want to improve to a high advanced. I'm high intermediate to low advanced now.

I think the TĂș commands can be tricky for irregular ones at first. But always remember that saying "Don't" means using the SAME word as usted, but with an "S" slapped on the end of it.

Ten, no tengas

Di, no digas ........... diME, no ME digas ..........dimelo, no me lo digas

Sal, no salgas

ecetera

Thanks for the commment :) Well, I remember just fine, but it doesn't come to me instantly in a conversation, which is how I judge my success and measure my skills. Especially when you deal with multiple clitics and irregular forms, for example;

No se lo traigas, No me lo digas, etc...

I have to think about these before I say them, which slows my fluency. Oh well, practice, practice, practice, right? :) Good luck with your studies!

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 27 of 73
20 September 2008 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Shaun Wylde wrote:
Congratulations on your progress and success irrationale!

I began the FSI course http:// fsi-language-courses .com/Spanish.aspx (not sure if this is the same FSI you refer to here) on Wednesday and will start Unit 3 today. After reading that you had first studied the Pimsleur courses I decided to look into it. It is unfortunately a large expense that I am unable to incur at this point in time. However, I am dedicated to learning this language as efficiently as possible.

Would you mind telling me a bit about the program and how much of an asset it has been to your success? I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks and good luck in your future endeavors!
-Shaun

I would be glad to tell you.

To basically describe it, in FSI there are 55 Units. They start from the very most important elements on the language, and move toward the least important in a very orderly manner covering specific rules of grammar. Each Unit in Platiquemos (I don't know exactly about the others) has first a conversation introducing new concepts and vocab, a demonstration of the rule, then drills on the rule. There are usually two rules in the Unit. This is followed by subsitution drills and replacement drills, where sentences from the convo are manipulated so you can internalize the grammar. Finally there is a dialog to practice conversation.

Personally, I think that FSI + Pimsleur is an unbeatable combo in learning Spanish, and maybe other languages in general. But can only speak for Spanish, since there is Pimsleur I, II and III and a total Spanish course in FSI, which isn't the case in other languages. Both of these combined are better than each on their own.

The reason is because each complements the other. When you finish Pimsleur, you can have basic conversations and use a vocab of around 600 or so words very well. You know the "gist" of the grammar through inference. You have the confidence to go on...

FSI complements this because it complements what you learned in Pimsleur with drills on specific rules that might seem hazy after Pimsleur, but are made clear in FSI. You learn more and more vocab. Basic grammar is constantly practiced in the replacement drills and substitution drills. You already have the confidence, and can coversate, so you can deal with the repititiveness because you are filling out your skeleton "gist" with the meat of the entire stucture of the language. This clear stucture you to travel beyond the well paved roads in Pimsleur, and to more freely conversate.

It is a little strange at first, and the audio quality will be a shock to you compared to Pimsleur, but this is actually a GOOD thing because it is more true-to-life...people don't speak with perfect audio!

Good luck and ask me if you have questions...

2 persons have voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 28 of 73
22 September 2008 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
Starting Unit 30. Review unit..not to exciting. I'm ready for new things so I can start using them, like subjunctive for example.

EDIT: Well, that was a really easy unit! Hardly any review...I expected a lot more. I am practically almost done with it in one night.

Edited by irrationale on 22 September 2008 at 4:31am

Shaun Wylde
United States
Joined 5860 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 29 of 73
22 September 2008 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your response irrationale!

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 30 of 73
25 September 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
Finished Unit 31. Very very easy. Only one topic covered that I had already deduced how to use.

I noticed that there is a shift in the Units from now on. They seem to cover less and less grammar content and more vocab and readings. This lessons was jammed with way more vocab than before. I am glad for this because I am getting to the point that what I really need is lots of vocab. I am also ready to learn the damn subjunctive already.

Starting Unit 32

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 31 of 73
29 September 2008 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Starting Unit 33.

Unit 32 was barely anything but a vocab builder, which is fine. How can anyone not have figured the difference between pedir and preguntar? Still, I am ready for the subjunctive already, cut to the chase!

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 32 of 73
30 September 2008 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
No study today because of my mandarin cramming. Learning so many characters, my mind doesn't have room for 20 or 30 more Spanish words right now. Tomarrow I will be back to my ruitine.

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version