China
Joined 5994 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 57 of 73
23 November 2008 at 2:49am | IP Logged 

This is an example of a conversation I was able to have, and did have, around the time I finished Pimsleur. Almost all of the content/words/grammar is convered in Pimsleur.      

Me: Hi, how is it going (Que tal)?
Person : Ok. How are you?
Me: I'm fine thanks. However, its too bad I have to work today. I hope I can leave soon.
Person : Oh? I thought you were off [<- I learned this word myself] today. What happened?
Me: Oh..the manager called me this morning, and said to me that I must work.
Person: We don't have enough people? Really? I think we do.
Me: By-the-way, how are your kids?

and so on..

This is "satisfy survival needs, and meet limited social demand" that is defined to be mid-high level. You can do this with Pimsleur1,2,3, espcially if you do what you are supposed to do and fill out the vocab that is given with words that YOU need in your situation.

Keep in mind though, everyone is different. I am a global and auditory learner, which favors Pimsleur. Some learners seem to be able to infer grammar from examples, some must be told the grammar definitions. Obviously people that can infer grammar will get more out of Pimsleur, and will go beyond the transcripts. I also specifically wanted to converse from the beginning, this is my reason for learning languages...not for the language itself but to talk with people. I was talking from the point I could say "I need milk". With Pimsleur, you can converse earlier than FSI, because FSI is more complete and starts from the "bottom", and sometimes doesn't include conversational terms until the end. Of course, you need FSI (or something) to get you to fluency.

Well, this is my experience, for what it is worth. Be sure to ask if you have any questions :)

Edited by irrationale on 23 November 2008 at 2:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5994 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 60 of 73
25 November 2008 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
amt2112kid RIP wrote:
irrationale wrote:

This is "satisfy survival needs, and meet limited social demand" that is defined to be mid-high level.

Where did you get this definition?

I got it here http://www.platiquemos-letstalk.com/About/Proficiency.htm

I don't know of a test to determine your learning style but basically it is the ubiquitus left brain /right brain division. It is not hard science, just a guideline.

Global learners tend to learning holistically. They want a bunch of random information that they can then suddenly fit into the "big picture". They dislike logical rules being explained to them, and would rather see a lot of examples to intuitively "get it". Then they can explain after they have the "essence" of the thing. They have a very random, chaotic, intuitive learning style.

Sequential learners tend to want everything explained to them at the beginning, so they can work it out sequentially. They may hate random examples, etc. They may like structured learning.

I a like being given tons of random examples and translations, in audio. Since I am an auditory learner, I just remember them all, and use them later without knowing why exactly they work, but having a gist. Later I get the idea of why. I don't have a problem with that really, most people do. For example, with FSI, I almost never read the grammar, or looked at the pdfs. I just loaded the drills into my mp3, and listened to all of them a couple of times. That being said, at the beginning I WAS a little confused, because in FSI, the conversation intro has lots of grammar covered later on. I wasn't sure whether to learn that or not, or what the purpose was. Later on though, I just went with the flow.

Don't worry too much about it though, just do what is comfortable for you. All learnings styles get to the same point anyway. Go to a ebooks website and test a Pimsleur. If you don't feel comfortable with it, forget it. My friend couldn't(or wouldn't) do it after the first lesson!

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5994 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 61 of 73
25 November 2008 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Starting on Unit 51 today.

Unit 50 helped me see the essense of what the subjunctive is, because it has a lot of common examples translated in English. I can't believe I never knew how to say "I wish I wasn't tired"! How did I ever survive with out that phrase? :)

Only going to spend about 1 hour a day on Spanish now, due to Mandarin, so that means probably 3 to 4 days each Unit to the end. I'm not in a hurry and I get plenty of practice at work. Mainly I am memoring words, about 20 to 30 a day of the frequency list, including 2 or 3 slang/common phrases to help bring me closer to native-like fluency.

hypersport
United States
Joined 5825 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 62 of 73
25 November 2008 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
Hola irrationale.

I'm curious, how do you know that you have the words memorized? Personally I get a huge amount of vocabulary from reading books and watching tv and films. Words repeat themselves a lot, and I know that I have them.

What's your method for memorizing say 20 or 30 words a day from the list, and then feeling confident that those words are actually going to stick? Do you insert the words in one of the flash programs? Thanks.

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5994 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 63 of 73
26 November 2008 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Hi!

Well, keep in mind that I am around native speakers a lot, everyday. This is the real conversation test ground which gives me the chance to test and hear my vocab.

How do I know? Well, basically I think of a word in English in a convo. I see if I remember its Spanish equivalent in my passive vocab of never-used words. If I do, I use it, and bring it into my active vocab and I usually never have to do that again. For example, right now, when I think of "storm", I also think of "tormenta", which is in my passive vocab, but I've never used this word. Sometimes, I try to force my self to use words in real life, blatently to bring them into active vocab. Or I say them, or think them to myself.

I have no method for memorizing. I just dump 20 to 30 words into ANKI, and memorize them all (to where the due date is 1 day or greater). People critize SRS because there is no context to the words you memorize. I know this criticism, but it has worked for me, probably because I put context-light words (lots of nouns, direct translatable verbs, etc) into ANKI, and try to contextualize them soon after. BUT; for very context heavy words, or words that have lots of meanings, I either put one meaning into ANKI in a sentence, or ask a native and see how they use it. Actually I must do this now with "conducir", which remains in my passive vocab.

This is my habit now. And the fastest way I see to amass a large vocab. By all means, if someone tells me a better way, I will do it! Watching movies, and reading books would help too, and I plan to do this soon in conjunction, I just don't have the time now.
3 persons have voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5994 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 64 of 73
30 November 2008 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
Starting Unit 52.

Unit 51 got delayed because I simply couldn't get the probabilistic future to become automatic in this time period. It isn't going to happen; its too strange and arbitrary to me. I will simply have to memorize it and use it over and over in the future until it sinks in.

Also, Unit 51 had the damn male speaker that talks with the extremely muffled voice. I am getting to know these speakers way too well. He sounds like his mouth is covered with 3 pillows.

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version