Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 9 of 74
01 April 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Thanks again, Jinx. Yes, when you look at it in that way it is more positive.

The article is titled "Farewell to Auxiliary Languages" and was posted February 24, 1997.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 10 of 74
02 April 2011 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
I thought a lot about Esperanto this week, and got a little bit of studying in.

I've started using the TYS from the '60s and completed the first 3 chapters, and a little bit of chapter 4. The book says the first 5 chapters are for getting a basic understanding of the language, so I want to try to understand everything in the first 5 chapters by next week.

I only did one lesson in La Puzlo Esperanto on lernu, so I'd like to do more of that. I may not complete all the tasks, just enough so I can start the correspondance course Ana Pana, like the welcome e-mail suggests.

I was thinking about completing the 10 lesson correspondance course that I signed up for around Christmas 2009, or at least doing the first lesson.

I have a test this Friday so I'll be studying for that, but I don't think it will have too much impact on my studies, except not wanting to study another subject other than Gerontology. I'm only taking one 3 credit course this semester, when I probably should have taken another one or two. Like I said earlier, I'm off to work in a month and a half so I'll have less time to study, plus the lack of privacy that comes with having roommates and being tired from working seasonally in a warehouse. Next semester I'm taking 2 5 credit classes and, although it won't be a full load, it will still be demanding, being in class 4 days a week and working on the weekends. I know, most people do those things anyway, but when you've only got one class and a lot of free time, losing all that free time is a change. I'm sure I'll still be able to study languages, although maybe not as much as I'd like.

I guess that's all for now.   
1 person has voted this message useful

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5277 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 11 of 74
03 April 2011 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
Some mixed comments about Esperanto

I have been speaking Esperanto during 51 years and I never heard the word "politics (of Esperanto)" from an Esperanto speaker.

About other "planned languages". There are more than 1000 of them. I don't have time to learn them all. If you want to know more about that, read the book "In the Land of Invented Languages" by Arika Okrent. I borrowed it from the Library. Remember that planned languages were created for many different purposes. I learned Esperanto because its purpose is communication, and it was made to be easy to learn.

I believe that all Esperanto speakers should respect Volapuk as a pioneer common language, and for providing many members to the first Esperanto associations.

I suppose that most Esperanto speakers ignore Ido. Ido doesn't deserve the respect of Esperanto speakers, because Ido is the product of treason from people whom Zamenhof trusted. They were good Esperanto speakers trying to impose their own reforms for personal benefit. Zamenhof worked hard on his language without asking anything for himself. Ido is Esperanto reformed, not improved.

The few active Ido speakers don't ignore the Esperanto speakers. They keep trying to convince us that Ido is better than Esperanto. I have told some of them, that they will have a much wider audience if they try to hit the people that don't speak Esperanto.

But there is an Ido society, that once in a while gives some money for Esperanto projects!!!

>he says Idists basically want Esperanto to die and
>Esperantists basically want Ido to die.

I never heard an Esperanto speaker mention this.
Some Ido activists search Esperanto speakers.
Some of the Ido invitations are written in Esperanto. The few times I chatted with somebody that claimed to be an Ido activist, the language used was Esperanto. I could understand some Ido ... I cannot speak or write it.

There is no cult, no religion in Esperanto. Most Esperanto speakers don't visit Esperanto conventions. There are still associations around the world that meet regularly. Most Esperanto speakers don't participate.

If all the time used to discuss about Esperanto were used to learn Esperanto, the number of Esperanto speakers would be much bigger now.

Esperanto ... is it easy to learn?
YES. It is easy to learn. I was able to speak Esperanto in my first meeting, two months after I started to learn Esperanto by myself, with the help of just one book. I needed many, many years of learning English to get to that same level.

My book, in Spanish, was the same kind as "Teach Yourself Esperanto", even if TYS is more complete.

The goal of studying Esperanto should be some fluency, not to "speak correct Esperanto". Which is the proportion of English speakers that "speak correct English"?

I don't calculate the time needed to learn Esperanto in months or years. I count hours. Among my students, most of those that complete the basic course, do that in less than 20 hours. Then they are ready to read some Esperanto and understand the instructions for the second level course which is all in Esperanto.

A total of 100 hours including practice should be enough to get some fluency.

When demotivated ... just keep going ahead. Don't stop to learn every little detail. When you complete a basic course you have much better idea how the language works and becomes easier to understand the details ... even if you never learn all of them.

>There are individuals that will never learn Esperanto ...

Yes. Language learning is not for every one. But if you live during a long time in an environment where Esperanto is the main language, you will also learn it. Yes, there are some places like that. But to learn a language, you must want to learn that language.

I always ask my students to chose one basic course and stick to just that one course! Finish one course before starting another ... and practice when you can.

Practice: read, listen to, write, talk, chat, watch videos.

If you are tired to start a studying session, watch a video or listen to pod casts.

Who learned Esperanto or why:
About 2000 people in the world learned Esperanto as one of their first languages, from their parents, at home, from the moment they were born, including the financier George Soros, and the Polgar sisters, world champions of chess.

Most other people learned Esperanto only because they wanted to learn Esperanto.

In Hungary many students learn Esperanto to complete the foreign language required to get a diploma. Most of them study to pass the test, but don't go on to use Esperanto. They elect Esperanto because they know that they can pass the test after much less study time than other languages.

In China they teach Esperanto in some schools and universities. In 2004, in Beijing, I met a girl that was studying Esperanto in the university in a group of 7 students. They were promised jobs if they could learn Esperanto.

In 2009 I met 2 of these ladies, at the offices of China Radio International, in Beijing, where they work preparing the Esperanto programs and as radio announcers.

I use English because I learned it and helps me to communicate with people around me.
I use Esperanto because I learned it and helps me to communicate with people around the world.

Enrique

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5635 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 12 of 74
03 April 2011 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
(I found the article, Michael, thanks! A very interesting read.)

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6381 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 13 of 74
15 April 2011 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:

And thanks, Iversen, you seemed to have sneaked in while I was posting, LOL. Yes, probably the biggest source of frustration with IALs is the lack of written and spoken content. Which is why you have to create it.

Esperanto has more written and spoken content than anyone could consume in several lifetimes. It doesn't rival that of the most prolific languages, and not every subject area is equally well represented, but I wouldn't say there's a lack, per se. There are perhaps tens of thousands of books (I believe UEA currently has about 4000 in stock for orders, and many others are out of print or otherwise not sold by UEA), and over 100,000 wikipedia articles.

More high-quality content is certainly good - but there's already a surprisingly high amount.

Michael K. wrote:

Anyway, about what I meant by Esperanto politics - I guess that's a misnomer. I guess I mean what Robert Winter describes as the "one language to rule them all" ideology.

From a "languages for the fun of it" perspective, that ideology is horrible. For people who care most about communication/IALs, it makes more sense - language fragmentation and dispersal of limited efforts come at a heavy cost.

Personally, I'm happy to have many languages thrive - but "one language to rule them all" can be advocated by well-meaning people, and for some well-founded reasons.

Michael K. wrote:

He mentions in his blog that he has found people in the Esperanto, Ido, and even the Occidental Interlingue communities that think that only one IAL should be promoted and all others should be ignored or even be encouraged to die. I prefer Mithridates', of Page F30 (who is also a member of this forum), suggestion that you should have a few favorites, actively support one by translating a lot of content into that language, and give moral support to all the others. Mithridates seems to favor Ido, Occidental Interlingue, Lingua Franca Nova, Sambahsa (once it matures), a few others, and Idiom Neutral, the last one being an IAL he tried to resurrect. Like I said earlier, he isn't particularly fond of Esperanto. I find this attitude to be preferable to the "one language to rule them all" philosophy, although I have no interest in being another Mithridates (who is a professional translator, and finds learning IALs easy, even with just a grammar and dictionary) or a Moses McCormick of IALs, although I am interested in a few other IALs in addition to Esperanto, like Occidental Interlingue.

People disagree with each other. Most Ido speakers know at least some Esperanto, to the best of my knowledge. Most Esperanto speakers I've heard say anything about Ido have been fairly neutral about the language itself, though people are sometimes a bit more bitter about the betrayal which led to Ido.

I've asked someone to speak to me in Ido before, because I understood it better than any other language he spoke.

I've also had friendly discussions with people who speak Volapük or Lojban, and little/no Esperanto.

In general, the Esperanto speakers I've dealt with personally who care at all about other conlangs have been fairly positive about them - especially Toki Pona.

That said, I sometimes find the anti-Esperanto sentiment of people who dislike it and support other conlangs grating - the phrase "one language to rule them all" does rub me the wrong way. On the gripping hand, for a humorous take on 'Esperanto as the language of evil bullies', watch the short film "Conlang" and check out Uscaniv.

Michael K. wrote:

These are two links which I read while writing the first post in this log, and I spent a week writing it. It helps to show my mindset back then. I was originally not going to write about politics or ideology, since I generally hate expressing my view on politics or ideology in any form, but I came to the conclusion that IALs inherently had political or ideological baggage when I read the following posts.

http://www.rickharrison.com/language/farewell.html

http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=24438

See footnote #1 for some nasty politics. Rick Harrison's post is about as pessimistic as a person can get with regard to IALs. All the infighting really got to him. He uses the word eristic to describe IAL proponents, which seems to mean people who enjoy engaging in arguments and controversy. Also note in footnote #1 he says Idists basically want Esperanto to die and Esperantists basically want Ido to die. Needless to say, it would be very difficult to have much common ground with people in the opposing viewpoint.

Three quick quotes from the Unilang forum link about Esperanto:

1) You'd think that for a group where you can find some people even frighteningly religious about Esperanto (as in they consider Zamenhof to be almost a god), people would at least make an effort to speak it correctly.

2) Things I don't like/find confusing/irritating:
Ideology. There seem to be no language materials which won't go shouting "Look, it's SO great!!! Join every convention and become a disciple!!!" at you instead of just providing learning material. Generally a slightly religious feeling, and the "we poor Esperantists who are discriminated against by the mean outside world"

3) Some people can be really annoyingly enthusiastic and missionary - just keep in mind they have not been brainwashed, it's their genuine enjoyment they want to share.

I don't see much politics in the links. The first is a guy who's gotten tired of a hobby and of hanging around with people who get into repetitive arguments related to it. In his shoes, I would probably give up on IALs as well. I think the problem, though, isn't with IALs in particular... it's with getting sucked into a group of people who have tedious and counterproductive discussions. That can poison any topic.

The second link does have a lot of nonsense (mixed in with some accurate advice). Most of it seems pretty non-political too, though. I've never seen Unilang as being religiously in favor of Esperanto (and, on any website, a few people being religious about something doesn't mean that most people on the site will share that viewpoint or be competent at that something/in accordance with an ideology that they don't even hold/etc).

Lots of Esperanto learning material *is* annoying - it probably is partially a reflection of how much of it is produced by hobbyists, rather than professionals. That said, a lot of it is excellent and not gratingly bubbly. Going to a convention is good advice, though - it's much like the advice "go to the country where X is spoken" for national languages.

Michael K. wrote:

Another thing is that I have never met an Esperantist or IAL proponent in real life, so I could have warped views about these people. I have heard some warped stereotypes of Americans, so I can see how this would be a problem.

Judging Esperanto speakers or IAL proponents by newsgroup and mailinglist flamewars is like judging Americans based on (insert your favorite hate group, disliked minority political affiliation, cult, conspiracy theory, or youtube video of a reality TV show where an adult can't do something you'd expect of a 5th grader ... here).

Michael K. wrote:

That's about it when it comes to Esperanto and politics/ideology. If you want to know anything else, I'll be around, and I'll try to answer within a week, LOL. Please share what you were thinking about Esperanto politics, since you said it could mean a variety of things.

It's a term used in a wide enough variety of ways that I'm not sure I assume much about what's meant when I come across it. There are all the points you mention above, but also quite a few others. Internally to Esperanto, there are debates about neutrality, Raumism, etc. Externally, there are everything from political efforts to promote Esperanto (from the League of Nations to schools in various nations on various continents), to political efforts to squash Esperanto (it's been illegal in several countries, and people have also been killed for speaking it in several countries - most notably Germany/German-occupied areas and the former USSR).

There are people who promote it as the solution to all the world's problems, and those who dismiss it as a conspiracy (whether of foreigners, spies, or other groups varies) - needless to say, both camps are deluded.

Michael K. wrote:

I have four basic motivations for learning Esperanto:

1) Source of information beyond the English-speaking media. I have a passing interest in Japan, and since Esperanto is popular there, I could read information directly from a Japanese source instead of it going through a translator, and without having to learn to read Japanese.

There's quite a bit in Esperanto by Japanese authors. I rather like the series "Raportoj el Japanio". It's written by a Japanese teacher of English, who writes in the first book that it would have been impossible for him to write the books in English, as he doesn't write the language well enough. His Esperanto contains a fair number of errors (don't try to model yours off it or use it for intensive reading), but is quite readable, and the content is quite good.

The history of Japanese authors writing directly in Esperanto goes back about a century.

Michael K. wrote:

2) To meet interesting people who like the concept of IALs, and there seem to be a lot of them out there.

Yes.

Michael K. wrote:

3) To support the IAL movement, although I don't know which IAL I would actively support. Esperanto seems to be the best gateway to IALs at the moment since it has the most people.

Yes, and you'll find many Esperanto speakers who like other conlangs. I'd still say they're a minority, but they're a much bigger minority than you'd find among the general population.

Michael K. wrote:

4) As a confidence booster since it is a relatively easy language. Yes, of course it will take work and becoming demotivated at some of the more difficult features, as the lernu welcome letter said. It even said people might despair that they would never learn Esperanto.

I know both sides of that. I became conversational about 3 weeks after I decided to properly learn the language. A couple years later, I'm still learning nuances and vocabulary, and don't always use every language feature correctly.

I've bumped Esperanto up to 'advanced fluency' in my profile, but I can't write like an Academy (of Esperanto) member, and in groups consisting of native Esperanto speakers and UEA-estraroj I feel like a stumbling komencanto - I can follow everything, but feel comparatively tongue-tied and graceless in my use of the language (unlike when I'm with typical groups of fluent speakers). Esperanto is an incredibly powerful, flexible, beautiful, and poetic language, and I'm still bumbling by in expressing myself via straightforward prose.

Michael K. wrote:

That's all. This log has been fun so far.

Glad you're having fun.

Michael K. wrote:

ETA: Here is a section from the lernu welcome letter.

Don't believe that Esperanto is very easy

In our experience, learning a new language is always a challenge and never a "very easy" thing. The same is true for Esperanto, although it is clearly less difficult than national/ethnic languages normally are. Even those who have never really succeeded in learning a foreign language can learn Esperanto! But much learning and practice is necessary if you want to use the language fluently and correctly. Don't be amazed if from time to time you lose hope in ever speaking Esperanto well... However, if you are ready to make an effort for a few months, or a few years, you will definitely succeed and will then be able to enjoy the international language Esperanto in many different ways!

They have a point.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 14 of 74
22 April 2011 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, everyone, for their take on what I've written, especially Volte & Enrique. It's very interesting to hear what much more experienced Esperantists have to say, and I'm glad to hear that many Esperantists enjoy & appreciate other IALs.

I'll try not to discuss other IALs or "politics" (whether it exists or not) anymore on this thread.

Yes, Enrique, I actually borrowed "In the Land of Invented Languages" from the library last week, and have read the two introductory chapters and about Esperanto and Klingon. It's a very interesting read, and I'm glad that a linguist is looking at conlangs seriously, although 2 reviewers on Amazon gave bad reviews because they didn't think it treated conlangs fairly, and maybe they have a point in some cases (referring to conlangers as "mad dreamers" and saying conlangs have "a history of failure" is bound to get some conlangers upset, although later on she says Esperanto is successful in its own way), but all in all I thought it was fair.

There have been a lot of threads with information on Esperanto on this forum in the past week or so, and I have learned a lot about Esperanto. My favorite link is:

http://remush.be/rebuttal/

It's by a native French-speaking Esperantist (from Belgium, I guess) who responds to several criticisms of Esperanto, and it's very thorough. One thing he said was that, although there are several IALs, Esperanto is both the oldest and most successful to date, despite any weaknesses. It's like what Arika Okrent said in "Invented Languages" where she met an Interlinguist at an Esperanto conference. He said that Interlingua is a better language, but that he has no one to speak it with. I also read a lot of arguments by the late Don Harlow, which many of them are quoted by the French-speaking Esperantist above.

Anyway, thanks once again for the responses, and sorry I took so long to respond.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5635 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 15 of 74
23 April 2011 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
I haven't actually read "In the Land of Invented Languages," so I'm hesitant to criticize it, but...

Arika Okrent gave a lecture (partially promoting that book) here at my university about two weeks ago, which I attended. Although she seems like a nice and widely-read person who has a mostly-unbiased approach to conlangs, I noticed two separate and rather basic inaccuracies in her forty-minute presentation. Not very encouraging. Just letting you know...

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 16 of 74
24 April 2011 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Jinx. Yes, I think one of the reviewers said that there was some misinformation in the book. Well, that's an understatement, the reviewer said it was FILLED with misinformation. Of course, just because someone has a lot of knowledge in an area doesn't mean they'll get everything right all the time.

Could you please tell me what the inaccuracies are? I still have the book for another 6 days and can renew it, so I could look for those inaccuracies in the book.

Right now I've decided to set aside the TYS and lernu to focus on a correspondance course and a course on YouTube. I've sent 4 lessons in to be corrected and have only had minor mistakes so far, such as using la or adding -n when I shouldn't. I think lesson 5 will be the first time I butcher the language, since now we're getting into correlatives, and, although regular, are difficult for me. I think that's one of the biggest misconceptions I've had about Esperanto: just because it's regular doesn't mean it's easy.

The second resource I'm using now was a resource my tutor sent me in a list of Esperanto links. It's a DVD course on YouTube called "La Pasporto al la Tuta Mondo." It follows Ruselo Sxafisto (Shepherd), and his plush sxafo (sheep), as they visit the Bonvolo (Goodwill) family while traveling on the Pasporta Servo. It's completely in Esperanto, and I can understand most of it. I watched the fourth and fifth parts today, and they're starting to get into the correlatives as well. It may be a bit silly and low-budget educational TV, but I think it's a pretty good way to learn Esperanto, or at least hearing it spoken.

That's all for now. I'm still enjoying myself, even if it is getting a bit difficult right now.

Edited by Michael K. on 24 April 2011 at 12:23am

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version