United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5277 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 33 of 74
06 November 2011 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
accusative ending -n (which is one of the things I dislike about Esperanto, since I don't get it)

If you are interested in learning Esperanto, just remember that the accusative is part of the language, and you will have to understand it. A set of examples follows:

You can translate the sentence "Peter hits Charles." 6 ways. All the following 6 sentences have the same meaning:

Petro batas Karlon.
Petro Karlon batas.
Karlon Petro batas.
Karlon batas Petro.
Batas Karlon Petro.
Batas Petro Karlon.

In English you have to keep the word order. The boy before the verb hits the boy after the verb. In Esperanto the boy without the accusative ending hits the boy with the accusative ending. The word order doesn't matter. The ending -n shows who receives ...

Michael K. wrote:
I haven't really found any Esperanto resources that I really like

I suppose that you have already checked "lernu net". Try it again because it has hundreds of resources. Maybe you could find one that you like. Or you may try the basic course "Kurso de Esperanto".

Otherwise, look for my pages, searching my name Enrique together with Esperanto.

Michael K. wrote:
I could work my way through "Gerda Malaperis" on lernu, since I'm mostly interested in reading.

I could help you read Gerda Malaperis. That is the text book that I follow to teach the intermediate level course "La Gerda Kurso", to my students. Just click "Enrique" at the top or bottom of my page. There you can also find the reading of the book in 25 sound files, for a total of 91 minutes, that you can hear while walking, driving, or doing some manual work. Remember that Esperanto sounds exactly the way it is written.

Jinx wrote:
Be careful of Arika Okrent. ...featured the type of glaring inaccuracy that would have been avoided with just a few days of studying the language in question, forcing me to conclude that she must have spent a few hours at most on each of them.

No that I would believe every word she says, but I know that Arika spent some time learning Esperanto. She was present at the Esperanto annual convention in Boston year 2003, and again in Washington in 2010. This time she gave a whole hour speech, the first 5 minutes in Esperanto, the rest in English.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 34 of 74
06 November 2011 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Enrique. I have your site bookmarked, and discovered your "Gerda Malaperis" audio files yesterday since the ones on lernu weren't working too well for me.

My tentative plan is to use GM like an Assimil course and listen and read to 3 chapters at a time for about a week or so. Of course, I have to make the English translation myself, but the vortaro on lernu looks really good, so I doubt I'll have many problems.
1 person has voted this message useful

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5277 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 35 of 74
06 November 2011 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Michael:
In my page edu/gerdaa htm you will find the translation for the first 3 chapters of Gerda.

From the page that you got the audio files, you may download the file: DktA0004.zip   It has the book GM in one page ... and other variants.

The page edu/gerda02x htm has some exercises, and a few hints. But you have to understand some Esperanto to use this page. It has very little English. You can contact me by hitting the word "Enrique" on the top or bottom of any page.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5541 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 36 of 74
07 November 2011 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
The link to the original files with CD quality is broken, but it is great to have at least the shrunken version.
A longer Esperato audio book at last! Thank you, Enrique, I will appreciate it during my next walk in the forest.

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5375 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 37 of 74
07 November 2011 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Michael,

Just happened upon your log and wanted to say good luck and enjoy your studies. I used Gerda a few years ago myself and found it a good jumpstart for reading. If you need a physical copy (always my preference), you are welcome to mine. PM me and I'll send it off to you.

d.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4998 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 38 of 74
07 November 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
I have already said and will repeat. Cases can't be removed, they must be replaced. The
lose of cases in many European languages became possible because of extensive use of
prepositions and more fixed word order. I remember I couldn't understand a question in a
test, because the word размерность was used there and it wasn't clear whether it is the
subject or the object of the sentence.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4998 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 39 of 74
07 November 2011 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Number however can be removed: the distinction between singular and plural is not so
important.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 40 of 74
07 November 2011 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to everyone who posted.

Enrique, I'll check my translation with yours, but I find translating it myself is very helpful and I'll ask here if I have any questions.

Thanks for the offer, dmaddock, but I'll just print it out as I need it.

Question 1: is the present tense also used as the progressive tense? In GM, "Kio okazas?" is asked a lot, and I take it either means "What's happening?" or "What happens?" Also, could you use "Kio okazas?" as an informal greeting?

Question 2: I had a little bit of trouble translating this line:

lia mano iom post iom, tre tre malrapide, proksimigxas al sxia taso

I translated it as "his hand, little by little, very, very slowly, comes closer to her cup"

I don't know what "iom post iom" means.

The other problem I'm having translating is that -u is used a lot, and I take it that form of the verb is either conditional or imperative?

I'm still translating chapter 3, so I don't know if I'll still have problems.

Thanks for the interest in my Esperanto log, everyone.

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version