Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 49 of 74
10 November 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Enrique, I PM'ed you my translation of the first 5 chapters. I'll post my other translations of the chapters, starting from chapter 6, in this log.

Any suggestions of typing any special characters in this forum, not just in Esperanto, but also in Spanish or German, are appreciated. I know how to type on Word, and have the Unicode codes for each letter, so I'm good there.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5789 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 50 of 74
10 November 2011 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
TYPING IN LANGUAGES WITH SPECIAL CHARACTERS

What I normally do when I type in foreign languages with special characters like Danish or Turkish, I use my "Virtual Keyboard" which I have installed on my desktop. This feature offers 53 languages and of course German and Spanish, but unfortunately no Esperanto.

The website is bilingual German/Russian:

http://www.andrej-koch.de

The other useful website for me is www.lexilogos.com and you have to select "clavier multilangue". If you want to type with Esperanto-accents then go to:

http://www.lexilogos.com/clavier/esperanto.htm

The other alternative for Esperanto is to type the whole text with x-oj and copy and paste it into a converter.

The website with the Esperanto-accents converter is:

http://members.aon.at/aldone/konvertilo.html

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 10 November 2011 at 7:16pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6412 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 51 of 74
10 November 2011 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Alright, you can download the keyboard from
http://www.learnlangs.c
om/temp/us_internacieta_klavaro.zip
. All the keys are in their
usual place, but the key above Tab now allows you to type ä, ö, ü, ñ, as well as
anything with circumflex accent (e. g. Esperanto letters). For ŭ, hit this button and
then w. For ß, hit this button and then b.

Shift + the key above Tab now gives you all letters with ` accent, including à, è, ǹ, ẁ
and so on.

Shift + 6 gives you all letters with ´ accent, including á, é, ń, ś and so on... Shift
+ 6 and c is used for the French c cedilla (ç).

I assumed that you don't need to type Chinese Pinyin or Maori or other macron-languages
often, so the macron and the inverted circumflex accent are only reachable through a
combination of these dead keys. On my the keyboard layout that I created for myself,
which is based on the German keyboard layout, I turned more keys into dead keys and
thereby made macrons and ˇ more readily accessible. It's a trade-off.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 18 November 2011 at 4:51pm

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 52 of 74
18 November 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
OK, I downloaded Virtual Keyboard, and typed a simple Spanish sentence, but the preview post button on the forum has the n with tilde as a weird character:

Me llamo Miguel Carlos. Tengo 26 años. (It seems to have posted just fine.)

Sprachprofi, your link wasn't working for me.

Below is my translation of cxapitroj 6 & 7. Cxi tiu & cxi tie appear a lot, and it seems a little redundant. Also, what does ek- before a verb mean? In case anyone on here is on lernu, my screen name is MikeCarlBassett, which is also my name on YouTube (although I haven't made any videos).

Chapter 6
Did you hear? What was that?
Yes, I heard it. I heard something.
I also heard a strange noise, as if someone fell in the hallway.
As if she fell.
I had the same thought as you. I also thought that. I also thought there is Gerda falling in the hallway.
Should we go see?
Of course. We should go immediately.
I should go with Tom, but you should stay here, Linda. Watch that young man, who was talking with Gerda, and maybe put a drug in her coffee.
You both go and I should stay here? I'm a little scared.
We don't have time for discussion. We have to go see immediately. Stay calm here. You're risking nothing. Come, Tom, we have no time to lose.

Chapter 7
There she is. We were right. She barely had time to get to the corner, yet she fell. Visibly she's unconscious. She lost consciousness and fell.
Is she still alive?
Yes, don't worry. She lost consciousness, but she didn't lose her life. Her heart is beating. It's beating weakly, but it's still beating, so she's alive. Maybe she's barely alive, but she's still alive.
What should we do?
What do you think?
It appears like she's sleeping.
We must inform the authorities immediately. I'll go. Maybe they will decide to call a doctor, a physician, and at least immediately they will send a nurse. Surely there's a nurse here at the university, isn't there?
Maybe, but I don't know for sure. I’m here only one week.
Now I will immediately go to inform them. Stay here with her. But first we need a place to lay her down better, so she'll lie comfortably, with her feet above her head.
Really? Do you really want her to lie with her feet above her head? That isn't comfortable.
Nevertheless, when someone loses consciousness, that it's the best position, if I remember well, that they taught me.

Edited by Michael K. on 18 November 2011 at 4:38pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6412 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 53 of 74
18 November 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Apparently I needed http in front. I updated the link, it is

http://www.learnlangs.com/temp/us_internacieta_klavaro.zip

ek- means the start of an action, like German los- .

ekdiri = to start saying
ekmanĝi = to start eating
eknaĝi = to start swimming
Ek! = Go! / Let's start! (German: Los!)
eki = komenci = to start
2 persons have voted this message useful

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5277 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 54 of 74
18 November 2011 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
Below is my translation of cxapitroj 6 & 7. Cxi tiu & cxi tie appear
a lot, and it seems a little redundant.

This redundance has at least 2 reasons:

1. This book is written with a very reduced vocabulary at the beginning, and then adds
20 - 30 new word-roots in each following chapter. You should know about 1200 word-roots
when completing the reading.

2. There is repetition to help the reader remember the words.

The translation is good. Just remember that "nun" means "now", and "nu" is just an
exclamation. "nu" may translate as "well", but also depends of the situation.

Edited by Enriquee on 18 November 2011 at 8:30pm

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 55 of 74
19 November 2011 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Judith & Enrique.

Since it's been 2 weeks since I last updated the study portion of my log, I'll do that now.

I started to listen to cxpitroj 1-3 on 11/7, and listened to the dialog 7 times and thought I was getting addicted, LOL. On the 8th I listened 3 times and on the 9th I listened once. On the 10th I started listening to cxapitroj 4-7 and listened to it twice. I stopped all language learning until the 14th, and didn't listen to GM again until the 16th, which I listened to twice. The 17th I listened once, and didn't study anything yesterday. I listened to cxapitroj 1-3 (11) times and cxapitroj 4-7 (5) times. I guess that's not too bad considering I'm studying 2 other languages and also taking 5 credits in school.

I hope this next week will be better.

Thanks to everyone who's taken an interest in my Esperanto studies.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6381 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 56 of 74
19 November 2011 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Congrats on getting back into it. Good luck!

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version