Michael K.
United States
Joined 5673 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 57 of 74
20 November 2011 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Volte. I think I've finally found a method I really like, although I don't know how effective it is. I guess I'll find out soon.
1 person has voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5673 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 58 of 74
22 November 2011 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Here's my translation of chapter 8.

In the self-service university restaurant, Linda sits and thinks. She’s not thinking calmly. In fact, her thoughts are becoming more and more anxious.
She’s observing the young man who put something in Gerda’s coffee.
She’s becoming more and more anxious.
Tom and Bob are away for a long time already. They aren’t returning. So what really happened to Gerda? But what happened? Something serious?
Linda observes the young man and thinks:
What will I do, if he will stand up and go away?
Will I follow him? Should I follow him?
What should I do, if he will go outside? Should I follow him outside? Should I follow him out? I don’t know what I should do, I don’t know what I will do. I don’t know if I will follow or not.
And if he will go by car? Should I follow him by car as well?
It’s evening already. Night will come soon. Night will fall soon (?). Should I follow him at night?
And even if he will not go outside the university, even if he will stay here, should I follow him?
If he will exit that door, if he will go in the hallway to some room. Should I follow him in the hallway? Should I follow him in the hallway? Should I follow him into the room that he’ll enter? No, of course not. I’ll wait in the corridor. But if nothing will happen? If he will stay for a long time in the room?
And if he exits through that door, if he will go outside, maybe into the city. Should I follow him into the city? Should I follow him in the city? Should I follow him in the city?
If he will go by foot, maybe he will see me. He’ll suspect that I’m following him. He’ll turn himself towards me. I’ll start to be afraid. I’ll fade, or I’ll turn red like a tomato. Yes, I know myself. I’ll fade and immediately afterwards I’ll turn red. In any case, I’ll be agitated. I’m already agitated.
If he’ll go by bus, he’ll more certainly see that I’m following him, since we’ll wait together at the stop.
Linda doesn’t succeed at deciding what she should do.
She’s afraid, her heart is beating quickly. She would want that Tom and Bob were with her, that they would help her, that they would help her decide. She’s all alone. She feels that her heart is speeding up, but she doesn’t know what to do.
And then, before she could decide, before she succeeded at calming down, then the young man stands up. He looks to the hallway door. Will he go out there? He looks at the door through which one goes into the city. There? Yes, he’s going there.
And Linda automatically stands up and steps toward the same door. She didn’t decide. It seems her body decided itself. It seems that her legs decided themselves. Well, in any case, there is Linda following him. To what mysterious destination?     

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5673 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 59 of 74
26 November 2011 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
This wasn't a very good week for studying, with the Thanksgiving holiday and all. I only listened to the dialogs on Saturday and Monday, twice, and translated cxapitro 8.

I hope next week will be better.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5673 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 60 of 74
03 December 2011 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
This week wasn't any better, and I didn't really do any studying. I was focused on school almost all week.

I'll try again this week.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6383 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 61 of 74
03 December 2011 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
Good luck.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5673 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 62 of 74
04 December 2011 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Volte.

I'll try to translate some more GM this week.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5673 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 63 of 74
15 December 2011 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Today (December 15th) is Zamenhof's birthday.

I put a green star on my Facebook page and will try to study some Esperanto today.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6383 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 64 of 74
15 December 2011 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Good luck.

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version