Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 5525 days ago

65 posts - 86 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Cantonese, Mandarin

Message 9 of 40
22 March 2011 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
I went inside and they have a payment system with the octopus card. I didn't know how to use it and I asked one of the guys in Cantonese and he understood and came over and helped me.

I waited about 3 minutes and finally I was called. I told him I wanted it all taken off. Well, first I apoligized for my poor Cantonese and then I proceeded to tell him what I wanted. He seemed to me a bit puzzled but then I asked him in Cantonese if he understood and he said he did.

I actually wanted all my hair cut off but he left just a bit. I decided to just leave it at that and call it all a succsess.

My lesson from it all: I need to learn how to say: It's not short enough. Take some more off.
1 person has voted this message useful

mekalika
Diglot
United States
sarahnguyen.com/
Joined 6918 days ago

30 posts - 33 votes
Studies: Vietnamese, English*, German

Message 10 of 40
27 April 2011 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Hey! Thanks for the recommendation of books from Greenwood Press - I hadn't known about them before, and it seems like they have great audio.

hkboy
Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 5525 days ago

65 posts - 86 votes 

Message 11 of 40
28 April 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 

Glad you found them. They are all quite good. Only 1 (Intermediate Cantonese) has a slight problem with the audio. Are you studying Cantonese?

mekalika wrote:
Hey! Thanks for the recommendation of books from Greenwood Press - I hadn't known about them before, and it seems like they have great audio.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6431 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 12 of 40
28 April 2011 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Woah! Hey hkboy! I'm assuming you're hkboy from ChinesePod. I'm Simonpettersson! Awesome!

I'm a bit envious of your living in the Kong. It's an amazing city and I miss living there (though I only lived there for about a month and a half). And Cantonese is the awesomest language on the planet. The thing stopping me from moving back is that I don't want to work there, what with the high pressure and stress that seems to plague the companies over there. But I might have a solution for that. Here's hoping I'll be joining you in Hong Kong in a year or two, hkboy!

hkboy
Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 5525 days ago

65 posts - 86 votes 

Message 13 of 40
28 April 2011 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Wow, Simon.
You know they still dance and sing songs about you over at cpod.
Thanks for giving me a shout. Last I heard you were in Southern China.

Looks like I'll be here for awhile so hurry up and come on over.

Ari wrote:
Woah! Hey hkboy! I'm assuming you're hkboy from ChinesePod. I'm Simonpettersson! Awesome!

I'm a bit envious of your living in the Kong. It's an amazing city and I miss living there (though I only lived there for about a month and a half). And Cantonese is the awesomest language on the planet. The thing stopping me from moving back is that I don't want to work there, what with the high pressure and stress that seems to plague the companies over there. But I might have a solution for that. Here's hoping I'll be joining you in Hong Kong in a year or two, hkboy!

hkboy
Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 5525 days ago

65 posts - 86 votes 

Message 14 of 40
01 May 2011 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
I haven't been updating this with specifics but since I started this log I have not missed a day of doing some kind of learning. Most of the time it's listening to the Greenwood Press books. Right now I'm going through Current Cantonese Colloquialisms. It's listed as Advanced but really is a good intermediate book.

I did find out that I'm going to be a father this September. When we go to check-ups together, I'm of course ignored and all is conducted in Cantonese (which I'm happy about). This is giving me even further determination to improve.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6431 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 15 of 40
01 May 2011 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Congratulations!

Yeah, I'm back in Sweden now. Much as I love CPod and. Keep studying both Mandarin and Canto, I don't
really feel CPod is giving me much at this level. I learn what I learn from native sources now. But do say hi
to them from me.

hkboy
Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 5525 days ago

65 posts - 86 votes 

Message 16 of 40
04 May 2011 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks again Simon. How are you studying Cantonese now? Good luck in Sweden and I'm sure you will be back in HK some day.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version