Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 5618 days ago

65 posts - 86 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Cantonese, Mandarin

Message 25 of 40
21 June 2011 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
Thanks you all for your comments! I think I might give Anki mobile a shot. I'm moving soon so I will have a lot of time on the bus so it should come in handy.

zhanglong: I've been using the tablet with skritter. I'm going through Remembering the Hanzi. It works great.

Simon: Did you say your girlfriend is visiting you soon?

Snowflake: Keep up the good work with your studies!
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6524 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 26 of 40
21 June 2011 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
hkboy wrote:
Simon: Did you say your girlfriend is visiting you soon?

I probably did, or that was a very lucky guess! Yeah, she's coming over in about a week.

hkboy
Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 5618 days ago

65 posts - 86 votes 

Message 27 of 40
21 June 2011 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Simon, I hope you 2 have a good time. Do you two speak Cantonese or Mandarin?

There is a typhoon heading this way. It's Typhoon signal #1 now. It doesn't appear it will get to #8 but it's a good day to stay inside and study Cantonese.

I'm moving out of the high-rise apartment and in to a village house. What's this got to do with Cantonese? Well my mother-in-law will be looking after the baby so I'll be seeing her and talking with her all the time. Wish me luck!

It's going to be difficult to go away from the convenience of city living. However, this new place has a sea view(partial), some grass and some trees. It will be a nice place to raise a child.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6524 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 28 of 40
21 June 2011 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
She sometimes wants to speak Mandarin with me to practice (my Mandarin is better than hers) but it's pretty much 100% Cantonese, which makes me happy.

hkboy
Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 5618 days ago

65 posts - 86 votes 

Message 29 of 40
01 July 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
It's Establishment Day here in HK. It's a day off for us working people and a good day to reflect on my language learning and where I want to go.

I've been studying Cantonese now for almost 4 years. I can understand quite a bit and say what I want to say and I’m fairly well understood – I think. I know/recognize about 1,000 characters but can’t really write too many. I mentioned in another thread that I started learning Cantonese after my mother-in-law told my wife she was going to take an English class so she could communicate with me. I remember feeling pretty bad about that. I signed up for Cantonese classes in September of 2007. I remember now getting ready to go to the first class. I think I knew the numbers from 1 – 10. However, I remember asking someone in my office how to say “I” in Cantonese.

If I knew what I know now I probably would have never signed up for any lessons. I think I would have studied on my own. I remember being introduced to Steve Kaufman, Kazu (Japanese_all _the time) and some others. They really endorsed learning on your own with a lot of input in the beginning and then just doing things with the language that you enjoyed.

Before I came to Hong Kong, I asked some people about learning Cantonese and they all said it was useless to learn it and I should study Mandarin. Well, I took this advice and studied and studied but then I realized I had no one to practice with or who was interested in Mandarin where I lived here in HK.

It’s July 1st, I’m moving to a new house, I’ve got a new baby on the way, and July 1st starts a new contract for me for the next 2 years. I thought today would be a good day to outline my goals. I’m going with 2 years since it seems appropriate as I’ve just signed this new contract.

So in the next 2 years I hope I can: 1) achieve a high level in speaking & listening, 2) be able to read and write simple to intermediate texts and 3) achieve at least an intermediate level in Mandarin – yes, I know that is beyond the scope of this blog but I originally invested quite a bit of time and effort in the language and I still have a desire to learn it.

We shall see how it all turns out.

zhanglong
United States
Joined 4871 days ago

322 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 30 of 40
01 July 2011 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on the new house and the new baby!!!

I have very specific language goals for this month and will be heading to Hong Kong on Monday.

Keep working towards your dreams; it seems as if you've achieved quite a few of them already!

I'll be watching your Mandarin and Cantonese progess, regularly.

hkboy
Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 5618 days ago

65 posts - 86 votes 

Message 31 of 40
04 July 2011 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Thanks so much zhanglong!

hkboy
Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 5618 days ago

65 posts - 86 votes 

Message 32 of 40
29 September 2011 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
It's been 3 months since I last updated this log. I don't think I've missed 1 day of at least just listening to the Greenwood Press books, watching movies or having a chat with the cleaning lady or with my mother-in-law. I know I'm making progress.

My little girl was born on the 7th of September. That's going to be interesting to see how her languages develop. She will have lots of exposure to Cantonese and will only have me for her English exposure.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version