Thailand
Joined 4843 days ago

40 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Spanish, Russian

Message 33 of 42
18 July 2011 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
236factorial wrote:
So... call me childish, but I've started watching preschool Russian videos. More specifically,
this morning I couldn't fall asleep and I was just searching random Russian stuff on youtube, and I suddenly
found this Russian TV series - Лунтик! It's for very young children, and it's sooooo cute. There's also plenty of
simple conversation (unlike Ну погоди, another cartoon that someone else referred me to), which I think will
greatly help my listening comprehension. It seems like there are a lot of episodes (400??), so this will keep me
busy for some time.

This will be a great supplement to my studies - does anyone know if there are transcripts for the episodes?

Good find. I actually searched for some Russian cartoons and only found some strange and creepy stuff. This
one looks really well-done.

I think these would be nice to watch whenever I can understand them better. Sometimes it's fun to be childish :).
1 person has voted this message useful

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6482 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 34 of 42
21 July 2011 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Week 10, Part II: More verbs of motion, себя, and тот же (самый)
Princeton Lessons 80-82, Sara story 19

Still struggling with some of the "verbs of motion". I've learned a few new ones (носить/нести, бегать/бежать) and the distinction between indeterminate and determinate forms is complicated by the fact that Russian has many ways to say "to take sb/sth". Trying to decide 1) the correct verb, 2) imperfective or perfective, 3)indeterminate or determinate (if imperfective), and 4) the correct conjugation, all at once, makes translation slow and difficult.

Also, perhaps because of the short length of the word, I'm having trouble using тот in fluent speech - I always have to think about which form to use for a moment, which hinders my speaking. Hopefully practice will take care of that hesitancy...

The first part of the course has 84 lessons and 21 story parts. This means I'm almost done! I hope to be starting with the second part of the course sometime this weekend.

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6482 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 35 of 42
24 July 2011 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
Week 11, Part I: Done with the first part of Princeton Russian!!
Princeton Lessons 83-84, Sara story 20-21

And finally, the long journey through the first volume of Princeton Russian has come to a close. Next week, I'll start the second part (and begin with lesson 1 again!). It's been quite a fruitful 10 weeks or so, and I'm thrilled to be going into even more advanced stuff. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that in early May I knew zero Russian (besides привет).

I also would like to point out that I liked the Sara story ending (the story is part of the Princeton Russian course). Sure, the plot would never survive in the box office or a bookstore, but perhaps because I've been following and working with the story for over two months, I feel a connection to the characters, Sara and Mitya. Basically, they dated while Sara was studying abroad in Russia, but because of certain family situations, they had to permanently separate at the end. Sara's boyfriend at home had married another girl already (rather weird... all in one year?), so the reader is left unsure of what happens afterwards. Again, not the most original plot, but because I've worked so much with the text, I feel like I'm somewhat living in the story.

My greatest problem grammar-wise remains the "verbs of motion", and I often mix them up when I have to think quickly. The imperfective/perfective distinction is also not yet internalized, so I'll have to work on that too in the coming weeks.

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6482 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 36 of 42
27 July 2011 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Week 11, Part II: Revisiting the Sound system, conjugation patterns, and the Nominative
Princeton lessons 001-007*

I've started the second year of the Princeton Russian course (SLA 105), and the course starts off with a review of the very basics - most of the material is covered in the first 20 lessons of the first year. I presume that this review is intended for second year students who are a bit rusty after taking a summer off, and this enables me to move a bit faster through the lessons (but undoubtedly, it also solidifies my knowledge of basic grammar). There was a big lesson on verb conjugations, which was very helpful; verb patterns were covered in a sporadic fashion in the first year, probably to avoid overwhelming the student with rules and exceptions, but I really needed a summary lesson that brings all the conjugation rules together.

*For the second year of the PRC, I will use three digits to denote the lesson. Like the Sara story from the first year, there is a story throughout the second year text as well; however, it is incorporated in the lesson numbers. For example, the 1st part of the new story consists of lessons 4 and 6.

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6482 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 37 of 42
01 August 2011 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
Week 12, Part I: Irregular nominative plurals and some new verb forms
Princeton lessons 008-012

Not a very interesting week - just a few sporadic grammar concepts with more vocab. To help make memorizing the irregular plurals (such as голоса, мужья) more exciting, I wrote a short improvisatory song that pairs the singular with the plural forms*.

*actually, I already forgot the lyrics and the melody, but I still remember the plurals. Magic!

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6482 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 38 of 42
06 August 2011 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
I've been packing (moving out of my apartment) and on vacation in New Hampshire. I'm not learning a ton of Russian but I've been looking at vocab and grammar from time to time. More later.

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6482 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 39 of 42
08 August 2011 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
I wrote a postcard (from Mt. Washington) in Russian! In the process, I learned the word for "mountain".

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6482 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 40 of 42
14 August 2011 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
It's been ages since I've posted, but rest assured, I'm still learning. I just got back from New Hampshire, and it was great. I also ordered a book of Russian stories (titled "Russian Stories", how creative). It contains classics from famous Russian authors and contains the original text and an English translation side-by-side. That should be some good supplementary reading, although it's probably a bit difficult. I look at a first few pages and knew about 50-60% of the words.

Week 13 and 14 (Part I): Irregular verbs, and the many uses of the Genitive case
Princeton lessons 013-021

I've never realized that there are so many uses of the Genitive. I've started to form a conceptual understanding of when to use the Genitive - that is, there are some verbs that I just feel will require the Genitive and indeed, it's required. I can't quite explain my thought process but it's kind of like learning what preposition to use after French verbs... Unfortunately, I still can't really tell when the Instrumental, Prepositional, etc. is used after verbs. When in doubt I resort to the Accusative.

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version