Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 1 of 49
27 August 2011 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
So, as promised in my (currently a little dead) Latin-log, here’s a log for Akkadian. I will be studying Old Babylonian
at University this fall, which is an Akkadian dialect, and the one that students usually are introduced to. Alongside
with that we will be taught neo-assyrian cuneiform signs. (The youngest signs, the oldest language.. why they mix
them like this, I do not know..).

My material will be:
Introduction to Akkadian
A concise dictionary of Akkadian (it’s not concise at all, its FAT!)
Material provided to me by the university
Whatever I can find online for some extracurricular exercises

Akkadian is a semitic language written with a mix of phonetic and logograpghic signs, just like present day
japanese. Just as japanese they have multiple readings, some derived from sumerian (on’yomi ;P), some derived
from the akkadian word for the meaning (kun’yomi) and some just used for the sound value, taken form either
sumerian or akkadian word of meaning.

Edited by Hampie on 26 January 2012 at 8:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 2 of 49
28 August 2011 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Akkadian has four cases: nominative, accusative and genitive. UH.. That’s three. Oh yea, they have oblique in plural
which is the accusative and genitive merged together. That’s four :D. The endings are um, am, im. And, as most
other semitic languages, Akkadian has genders, and the feminine marker is t as in most other semitic languages,
so feminine endings are thus tum, tam, tim. King: sharrum, sharram, sharrim; Queen; sharratum, sharratam,
sharratim. This series of vowels u-a-i can easily be remembered with the cute mnemonic: You are free.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 3 of 49
31 August 2011 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Masculine plurals are so easy it’s boring, feminine are so weird it’s scary. Masculine takes -û in nominative, and i in
genitive and accusative, this one is also called the oblique case.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 4 of 49
02 September 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I terrorised the Ph.D-student who are going to be the teacher in charge of Akkadian with a message in
Swedish written in cuneiform. Cuneiform works a bit like Japanese Kana, but has there kinds of syllable signs. CV,
VC and CVC. Thus: ab, ba, and bab; though there are not CVC-signs for all possible closed syllables, but rather for
the most common word endings, such as -um, -am and -im. To write a closed syllable, where there is no signs for
it, you use a CV and a VC-sign: sha-ar-ru-um, for sharrum.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 5 of 49
05 September 2011 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
First seminar, yet, none of the language was, sadly, covered except accentuation. That’s kind of sad — however it
was the ‹introduction› so I did not really expect much more. The teacher is very, very enthusiastic and he loves, for
some reason, Akkadian more than life (it seems). I was a bit afraid that he would be a very dry person more in love
with grammatical theories rather than languages themselves, but, he isn’t. He even told us that we’re going to get
to write with styli in clay during the course: yay! I was planning on doing that myself at home, but, it’s cool that he
has planned to get that into the curriculum.

The class is divided in two parts: the semitists and theologist with a base in Hebrew who aim to broaden their
knowledge of semitic languages and the Ancient Far East; and the rest of us young people interested in languages
and old cultures.

Is anyone reading my log, by the way? Haha, unless I get at least sooome feedback, it’s not really that rewarding to
write.. :(.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5991 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 6 of 49
05 September 2011 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
I'm reading! I'm interested to hear about your experience with Akkadian, because I don't know of anyone else who has studied it before.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5111 days ago

2238 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 7 of 49
06 September 2011 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
Hey, dude! Akkadian rocks!!! Learning Akkadian, now that's what I call "kickin' it old school!

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 8 of 49
07 September 2011 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I bought modelling clay: writing cuneiform characters on paper is kind of cool, but pressing them into
clay is totally what the old scribes did. And man is it hard! Due to a lack of a wedge shaped reed stylus I have
carved a chopstick with a kitchen knife — it’s not optional and I might have to seek other alternatives, but on the
other hand it might be that I’m not yet a very good cuneiform scribe. Only time will tell.

I’m also trying to incorporate Anki into the studies of the Ancient far east — however a problem has arisen and
Anki won’t display the cuneiform correctly, more about that here: http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29352&PN=1 (I will gladly share the decks I make if anyone’s help will
give me the information required for it to work. I will be making a deck for ‹Introduction to Akkadian› by a man
named Richard Caplice and ‹Knowledge and Power› by Eleanor Robson from the Higher Education Academy - the
latter course can be found free online)

Over and out!

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version