Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6182 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 9 of 49
08 September 2011 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Just wanted you to know - I'm reading as well and with great interest, although I'm a long way from embarking upon such a project myself. I read the book by Ola Wikander on dead languages and it sparked an interest, but I very much doubt I ever gonna reach further back than Latin and Greek.

The clay thing is definitely an added spice in the age of ipads and kindles. Looking forward to reading about your progress!

//aloysius
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6601 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 10 of 49
15 September 2011 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Okay, so, today I’ve installed an Akkadian keyboard layout. This means I can write out those pesky diacritics and
odd sounds. Ṭāḍā! Lōōk wḫāṭ I cān wrīṭē!

So, Akkadian adjectives don’t behave like Latin ones. That made me sad. Latin seems easy compared to this… So,
some words base a ‹hidden› vowel somewhere, and you have to learn that by heart if you would want to use the
language actively or just realise it when you’re reading texts. The king who united the Baylonian empire and made
the Hammurapi codex laws (which all are basically ‹if a man does this, insert something, he shall be killed›), my
teacher said, liked to call himself the noble king. Noble king in Akkadian is šarrum gitmālum. Let’s look at it in the
other cases and numbers as well:
singular, then plural

nom. šarrum gitmālum šarrū gitmālūtum
ack. šarram gitmālām šarrī gitmālūtim
gen šarrim gitmālim šarrī gitmālūtim

As you can see, in the plural number, the accusative and the genitive collide: this is called the oblique case.
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5204 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 11 of 49
15 September 2011 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
I would love to see Akkadian text typed out in "virtual cuneiform". That would rock! (pun intended)

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6601 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 12 of 49
15 September 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
I would love to see Akkadian text typed out in "virtual cuneiform". That would rock! (pun
intended)

Easy task, but, you’d have to install a Unicode font that can display them. Here’s the first law on the Hammurapi
stele:
http://oracc.museum.upenn.ed
u/knp/cuneiformrevealed/textstoread/law1/

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4923 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 13 of 49
15 September 2011 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Hej! Just thought I'd leave a note to say keep up the good work! It's excellent to read
about someone doing this kind of language. I mean Latin is one thing... But Akkadian!
Ace! It reminds me of the Old Church Slavonic blog on here. I think I would only ever
learn Old Norse.. hmm...

Learning Akkadian is cool =)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Steelinho
Japan
Joined 4934 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Afrikaans, German, Spanish

Message 14 of 49
16 September 2011 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I've only just stumbled onto this log and I'm really intrigued to see how you fare. Seems
to me like a fascinating language and I've love to see you succeed. Good luck!

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6601 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 15 of 49
16 September 2011 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Today I learned that possession is a damned hard thing in Akkadian. There’s three ways, at least, to show
possession. Wardum ilim, warad ilim, and wardum ša ilim. All meaning the god’s servant, or the servant of god.
They all have some stylistic variation to them, but, come on? The most common way is to use the ‹construct› form,
which is a shorter case-ending-less form of a word, that, just to be cute and evil, is not identical to the regular
form with the ending cut of, thus: wardum, slave, becomes warad. Oh, may Ištar have mercy upon my soul :P.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6601 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 16 of 49
22 September 2011 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
Today I learned the horrors of the Semitiv triconsonantal root. For some reason the John Doe of roots that were
chosen was… PRS! PRS means, or well, has the meaning of ‹to divide› in some way. The infinitive is thus PaRāS-um
and the third person singular common-gender is iPRuS. There is supposed to be logic in here, but, yet it eludes
me. The verbal system of semitic languages… man! And Akkadian seem to have more damned forms of the verbs
than Ancient Greek does… in a +infinitive in genitive = while doing verb. Good to know.

So, also, today is my birthday! Wohoo! As of yet, though, I’m still stressed like h*ll and my anti-depressive
medication has yet to kick in fully. Depression, stress and birthday parties are a bad combination for language
learning. Also a book I want is out of print and expensive.

I’m making good progress in writing in cuneiform on clay. I’ve bough modelling clay, I think I’ve mentioned that’
and I got a stylus from uni and I can make readable signs now. Though they’re still not as neat as I want them to
be.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version