Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6601 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 17 of 49
30 September 2011 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Today I’ve actually done the exercises in the course book. Doing exercises actually aid learning! Though when it
comes to the verbs I think I will have to write paradigms over and over again ad nauseam. I also found some pre
made card decks for flashcard programmes on-line *yay* so that I can use my time for exercises rather than
putting the vocabulary into anki.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6601 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 18 of 49
28 October 2011 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
So… I ain’t gonna let this one die! The burden I’ve had have lessened a bit and my depression seems to be, albeit
slowly, moving from my infected mind. Sadly the material we use in the lectures is, in my opinion, horrible. I will
supplement with another book that I like, and I’ve bought a book that is said to use the so-called inductive
approach. I have no idea what that mean (is this a correct subjunctive?), but, it seems to contrast to the deductive
approach used by most other books (i.e. the ones I am using now).

As for cuneiform my hand is getting better and better. I’m thinking about doing the scriptorium thing to practise
my pronunciation and my knowledge of signs. It’s like using man’yougana but which chisels instead of brush
strokes… Cuneiform is a mess, really, but somehow yet a beautiful mess somewhat cooler and funnier than
chinese signs. Due to the fact that sumerian has a different structure than chinese has it has turned out
somewhat different and the usage of phonological complements and determinatives are very different. In chinese
the one sign one syllable is a very important principe, but, in cuneiform this does not exist. The sumerians had
closed syllables which they wrote with a Cv and a vC sign, thus, kak would be written ka.ak.

Tomorrow I will be explaining the method for vocabulary training that I’ve come up with.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6524 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 19 of 49
28 October 2011 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
This thread rocks my pants and you are the uncrowned king of Awesome.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6620 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 20 of 49
31 October 2011 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
Oh! I didn't know you started Akkadian. We have Akkadian at UiO as well, and one of my friends is taking the first class this semester and is quite enthusiastic about it. How many classes are available over there?

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5151 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 49
01 November 2011 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
Hampie wrote:
The class is divided in two parts: the semitists and theologist with a base in Hebrew who aim to broaden their knowledge of semitic languages and the Ancient Far East; and the rest of us young people interested in languages and old cultures.

Is anyone reading my log, by the way? Haha, unless I get at least sooome feedback, it’s not really that rewarding to
write.. :(.

I'm following this with interest. It had never previously occurred to me there might be classes in the ancient Mesopotamian languages - but of course, there must be. I assume some of your fellow students are from the Archaeology department..?

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6601 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 22 of 49
14 November 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
Hampie wrote:
The class is divided in two parts: the semitists and theologist with a base in
Hebrew who aim to broaden their knowledge of semitic languages and the Ancient Far East; and the rest of us
young people interested in languages and old cultures.

Is anyone reading my log, by the way? Haha, unless I get at least sooome feedback, it’s not really that rewarding to
write.. :(.

I'm following this with interest. It had never previously occurred to me there might be classes in the ancient
Mesopotamian languages - but of course, there must be. I assume some of your fellow students are from the
Archaeology department..?

Well, no, actually none. There’s me, two other newbies, a semitist and the rest are semitist-theologians.

Hmm, I wish I could write a post in akkadian: but other than telling people they die if they steal goods or who be
blamed for bad interest on fields there’s not much to talk about. We’re very Hammurabi-focused, so to say. His
name is, actually, to be written Ḫammurapi but people don’t seem to care about this.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5204 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 23 of 49
14 November 2011 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
I'm really enjoying your blog, @Hampie! I'd be interested to know how Akkadian has influenced other semitic languages.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6601 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 24 of 49
14 November 2011 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
I'm really enjoying your blog, @Hampie! I'd be interested to know how Akkadian has
influenced other semitic languages.

I don’t know if it has. I’m pretty sure Aramaic has some loan words from Akkadian, but other than that… well. It’s
old. It was dead most of the time it was written and kept alive by scholars whose native language was aramaic or a
later dialect of akkadian.. The intimate relationship between akkadian and sumerian people resulted in what’s
usually called Sprachbund that resulted in, on the akkadian side, of the loss of many of those hard-to-pronounce
sounds and moved the verb from SVO into the more sumerian-like SOV-structure. The books likes to draw
parallels to hebrew (almost only to hebrew and pro to-semitic, except regarding phonology where arabic is very
interesting.. hmm why is that?), rather than trying to trace probable influence other than shared roots.

Akkadian has kept the protosemitic cases, as have Cassical Arabic (which in phonology and morphology is very
conservative, though not in syntax), which are thus: nominative -um, genitive, -im, accusative, am, later on during
the Middle Babylonian and Assyrian time (Babylonian = dialect «spoken» in south close to Babilim, Assyrian =
dialect spoken in the north close to Aššur) lost the m’s, this feature is called mimation (after the phenomenon
nunation in Arabic). Adjectives agree with the nouns they modify and they always follow them in the sentence
structure.

Akkadian words have, like Hebrew and Arabic, states, though Akkadian has three states: status rectus, status
constructus and status abosulutus, and a little bastard that in almost all cases are identical to status constctus but
used before pronominal suffixes. Status constructus is used to form a so called genitive chain, i.e., as I’ve
previously written, denote ownerships, it also can introduce a relative clause.

It’s kind of hard to tell word classes apart because verbs and nouns and to some degree adjectives totally melt
together because they’re just some vowels thrown into the same root. *dmq has rendered damqum, which mean
‹good›, damqutum, ‹goodness›, damāqum, ‹to be good› — and on top of that, nouns and adjectives can in the
absolute state plus a suffix mean ‹to be -insert word- for a duration of time›.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version