šar kibrātim arbaʾim
ba-ni ma-tim
bāni mātim
LUGAL šā ip-šā-tu-su
šarrum ša ipšātušu (<epēšum)
a-na ši-ir DINĜIR.UTU
ana šīr d.Šamaš
ù DINGÎR.AMAR.UTU ṭa-ba
u d.Marduk ṭaba (< ṭiābum [ṭʾb], stativ)
10 a-na-ku
anāku.
BÀD
dūrum (<dwr)
ša UD.KIB.NUN.KI
šā Zimbir.ki
in e-pe-ri
in eperī
ki-ma SA-TU-im
kīma šadîm
15 ra-bi-im
rabîm
re-ši-šu
rēšīšu
lu ù-ul-li (<ʾlʾ)

Every other line is transcription, the rest is normalization. The capitals represent logograms and are written with
their sumerian sound value (for some reason). This is how it’s done. Slowly transcribe cuneiform into syllables and
logogram, and with grammar knowledge fill in what vowels are long and what consonants are long, and then, try tå
understand words. But some of them are sneaky, the weak ones, so one has to have a bit of fantasy to figure out
from what radicals they once were made.
1 person has voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5296 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 26 of 49
12 December 2011 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
The logograms are written in all caps with the Sumerian value so that someone with a transliteration could theoretically reconstruct the cuneiform. Since cuneiform's a pain to type, never mind typeset, it makes sense to have a way to note exactly what was on the tablet without having to make a copy in cuneiform.

I'm trusting that the inductive book you got for yourself is the Marcus. It's a nice book that I think brings you to grips with reading Akkadian a lot faster than Caplice, though Caplice might be better for active mastery.

Hope you're still enjoying the adventure.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 27 of 49
02 January 2012 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
BartoG wrote:
The logograms are written in all caps with the Sumerian value so that someone with a
transliteration could theoretically reconstruct the cuneiform. Since cuneiform's a pain to type, never mind typeset,
it makes sense to have a way to note exactly what was on the tablet without having to make a copy in cuneiform.

I'm trusting that the inductive book you got for yourself is the Marcus. It's a nice book that I think brings you to
grips with reading Akkadian a lot faster than Caplice, though Caplice might be better for active mastery.

Hope you're still enjoying the adventure.

I don’t like Caplice at all. After comparing him to Huenergard, he comes off as a boring lazy fellow. There’s no key,
glossary used in exercises are introduced in the lesson that comes after, he constantly introduces irrelevant values
of cuneiform signs. A lot of the signs have verbs as values, yet I’ve never ever seen him use a logogram for a
verb… Ah well.

I survived the exam. It was approved, and well, I have some points in akkadian! Wohoo!… So, now that I don’t have
to, studying feels more fun. I’m going to buy Huenergard and work through his monstrous yet comprehensible
book form page 1 and onwards as my goal for the year. It’s easier to read SB and Assyrian if one has a good
fundament in OB. I will have to learn older variants of the cuneiform, so the fact that Huenergard gives them in OB-
form and not only in NA will be very nice. They also look better. Except when he writes them…

Time to sleep.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 28 of 49
03 January 2012 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Today, starting over with the much better book Huenergards Akkadian Grammar, I’ve done chapter one.
Syllabification and accentuation. Not that fun, I already knew the words, but it’s probably going to be useful
anyway. Light start, so to say.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6552 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 49
04 January 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Could you explain a total novice how "LUGAL KÁ.DINĜIR.RA.KI" can look like "šar Bābilimki" when normalized?

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 30 of 49
04 January 2012 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Could you explain a total novice how "LUGAL KÁ.DINĜIR.RA.KI" can look like "šar Bābilimki" when
normalized?

Cuneiform signs can have either a syllabic value, or a logographic value. When they’re used logographicly they are
transcribed using the sumerian value for the sign, thus king in sumerian is lugal. King in akkadian is šarrum, and in
this context it’s in the state of construct, thus it loses its case ending, and becomes šar (akkadian does not allow
geminate consonants in the end of a word).

As for Babilim (Babylon), the name of the city was always written with some signs for, to us sometimes unknowns
reasons, but for convenience sake the signs are transcribed with the sumerian values of them. The ki is a
determinative, that is silent, and it’s usually written in normalisation with superscript to show that, but that was
lost. Ki just mean that what comes before is the name of a town. Other determinatives can be LU, means that it’s
the name of a person, GIŠ, means it’s a tree or something made out of wood, etc. etc.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 31 of 49
18 January 2012 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
And thus the time-machine travel back yet another thousand years as I will begin study Sumerian, a language that
yes is to be entirely understood and whose grammar and phonology is under hard academic debate. It’s going to
be interesting. I also have to read 3000 pages about the religion and history of Mesopotamia, that’s going to be a
lot less fun, though, interesting.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 32 of 49
18 January 2012 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
So, Sumerian, language isolate, agglutinating language, it’s ergative and relies on aspect rather than tense. It has
two genders: animate and inanimate. And that’s about it in regard to what people can agree on.

é means house, lù man, nita male, nin lady, -ani is a possessive suffix, -r(a) is a dative suffix, -n is a lot of stuff.

Inannar ninanin Ur-Nammu legal Urimake é manandu. I think means «For Innana, his lady, Ur-Nammu built a
house.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version