nitaḫ kalag-ga
en unug-KI-ga
lugal uri₅KI-ma
lugal ki-en-gu-KI ki-uri-ke₄
e₂ temen-ni₂-guru₃
e₂ ki-aĝ₂-ĝa₂-ni
mu-na-du₃
ki-be₄ mu-na-gi₄

{dNanna, {dumu saĝ dEnlil}ak, lugalani}r, {Ur-Namma, nitaḫ, kalaga {en Unug}ak, {lugal Urima}k {lugal Kiengi
Kiuri}k}e, e temen-
ni-guru, e kiaĝani, munandu; kibe munangi.
-k, -ak, -k- genitive
-e ergative
-r dative
-e locative-terminative
-ani his/her
-pi its
pi and e merges to pe

To Nanna, the foremost child of Enlil, Ur-Namma, a powerful person, en of Uruk, king of Ur, king of Sumer
and Akkad, built the E-
temeniguru, his beloved abode, he restored it to its
place.

E-temeniguru is the name of a temple, and it means ‹House: platform clad in terror› Temple names very often
begun with e, house, and then seemingly ungrammatically some stuff is put thereafter.

Edited by Hampie on 26 January 2012 at 8:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6601 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 34 of 49
01 February 2012 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
And so far I’ve progressed to the 3rd chapter of Huenergard’s Grammar of Akkadian. Tomorrow I will do the
exercises for that chapter. Now I will do the sumerian that I missed in class for today due to oversleeping.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5498 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 35 of 49
01 February 2012 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
It's wonderful to see someone studying Akkadian and Sumerian on the forum. I try to sneak in a lesson from the L'Égyptien hiéroglyphique book that sits on my night table before hitting the pillow each night, and often consider learning a bit of cuneiform one day. Could you suggest a fun basic primer for Sumerian?

Edited by Teango on 01 February 2012 at 4:47am

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6601 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 36 of 49
01 February 2012 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
It's wonderful to see someone studying Akkadian and Sumerian on the forum. I try to sneak in a
lesson from the L'Égyptien hiéroglyphique book that sits on my night table before hitting the pillow each night, and
often consider learning a bit of cuneiform one day. Could you suggest a fun basic primer for Sumerian?

As sad as it might sound, but, there is none. There is one book, albeit almost impossible to get due to it being out
of print, that is informative enough for self study, but other than that I don’t know of any sumerian courses. What
we use at university is «A sumerian reader» with nothing but cuneiform text in it, and a little word list in the back
of the book. There are reference grammars to find, like 3-4 go them, but they are reference grammars and not
books for learning. But, if you’re a zealot of second hand book shopping, the name is ‹A manual of Sumerian
grammar and texts› and it’s written by John L. Hayes 1990. How do you find the Assimil L’Égyptien hiéroglyphique
by the way?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5498 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 37 of 49
01 February 2012 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Hampie, I'll keep an eye out for that Sumerian reader. The Assimil book on hieroglyphics is great by the way, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm just taking it really really easy, as it's a bit of fun on the side and I only started this week. I simply try to read through a new lesson before going to sleep, and then listen to and read that lesson the next day for review. I'd love to go the Ancient Egyptian section of a museum one day and be able to say to myself, "Hey, I know what that means now!" (better not say anything out too loud though, I might wake up a mummy). :)

Edited by Teango on 01 February 2012 at 12:04pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6645 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 49
01 February 2012 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Hampie wrote:
Iversen wrote:
Could you explain a total novice how "LUGAL KÁ.DINĜIR.RA.KI" can look like "šar Bābilimki" when
normalized?

Cuneiform signs can have either a syllabic value, or a logographic value. When they’re used logographicly they are transcribed using the sumerian value for the sign, thus king in sumerian is lugal. King in akkadian is šarrum, and in this context it’s in the state of construct, thus it loses its case ending, and becomes šar (akkadian does not allow geminate consonants in the end of a word).

When I reread your excellent answer it struck me that the use of the Sumerian word in transcriptions of Akkadian texts could be a bad habit rather than imposed by the writing system. I assume from your answer that the phonetic value of the king-sign is derived from the Sumerian word for king, but when it is used logographically it must be a complication that you have to mix Sumerian words into your transcription.

We don't use many logographical signs in the languages I use apart from numbers, &, @, £ and $ - but let's assume that each time I saw the sign '&' I had to say "ampersand". Well I don't - when I read "Anders And & co." I change it into "Anders And og /kompani/". So I read the 'and'-sign with its Danish translation, while I use the original English word with a Danish pronunciation for "co." - which actually isn't too far from the way transcribers apparently see texts in Akkadian. But I hear a lot of English, and "co." still reminds me of the word "company".

Now the problem is: what did the Akkadians do? My guess is that they read "šar" when they saw the king-sign and decided to interpret it as a logogram. They would only use the Sumerian word if Sumerian was very much a fact of their daily life, but did the Akkadian scribes actually speak Sumerian on a daily basis?

If the Akkadian scribes didn't say "lugal" when they read a text I don't see why the transcription in a modern edition should use the word.

Edited by Iversen on 01 February 2012 at 12:51pm

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6601 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 39 of 49
01 February 2012 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
Thanks Hampie, I'll keep an eye out for that Sumerian reader. The Assimil book on hieroglyphics
is great by the way, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm just taking it really really easy, as it's a bit of fun on the
side and I only started this week. I simply try to read through a new lesson before going to sleep, and then listen to
and read that lesson the next day for review. I'd love to go the Ancient Egyptian section of a museum one day and
be able to say to myself, "Hey, I know what that means now!" (better not say anything out too loud though, I might
wake up a mummy). :)

Well, I presume the ancient egyptians were about as repetitive as their eastern neighbours, so I definitively think
you’ll be able to!

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6601 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 40 of 49
08 May 2012 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Hampie wrote:
Iversen wrote:
Could you explain a total novice how "LUGAL
KÁ.DINĜIR.RA.KI" can look like "šar Bābilimki" when
normalized?

Cuneiform signs can have either a syllabic value, or a logographic value. When they’re used logographicly they are
transcribed using the sumerian value for the sign, thus king in sumerian is lugal. King in akkadian is šarrum, and in
this context it’s in the state of construct, thus it loses its case ending, and becomes šar (akkadian does not allow
geminate consonants in the end of a word).

When I reread your excellent answer it struck me that the use of the Sumerian word in transcriptions of Akkadian
texts could be a bad habit rather than imposed by the writing system. I assume from your answer that the phonetic
value of the king-sign is derived from the Sumerian word for king, but when it is used logographically it must be a
complication that you have to mix Sumerian words into your transcription.

We don't use many logographical signs in the languages I use apart from numbers, &, @, £ and $ - but let's assume
that each time I saw the sign '&' I had to say "ampersand". Well I don't - when I read "Anders And & co." I change it
into "Anders And og /kompani/". So I read the 'and'-sign with its Danish translation, while I use the original English
word with a Danish pronunciation for "co." - which actually isn't too far from the way transcribers apparently see
texts in Akkadian. But I hear a lot of English, and "co." still reminds me of the word "company".

Now the problem is: what did the Akkadians do? My guess is that they read "šar" when they saw the king-sign and
decided to interpret it as a logogram. They would only use the Sumerian word if Sumerian was very much a fact of
their daily life, but did the Akkadian scribes actually speak Sumerian on a daily basis?

If the Akkadian scribes didn't say "lugal" when they read a text I don't see why the transcription in a modern edition
should use the word.

I agree, but, you can't fight a scholarly status quo. I have to learn the sumerian values, even though I'd rather read
them out as they're pronounced in Akkadian.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version