Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 41 of 49
08 May 2012 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
So, long time nothing written and to little studied. Three weeks form now is the exam, and I will have to be able to
read and translate the annals of Sennacherib, a pretty gruesome king of the Neo-Assyrian empire!

Goal for this week: memorize all simple cuneiform signs (thus, the cv and vc signs). Learn the rules for how weak
verbs mutate by heart.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 42 of 49
10 May 2012 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Semitic languages makes word from du, tri and quadraconsonantal roots. More often than not they are
triconsonantal, the consonants are called radicals. Some consonants are weak, and thus instead of showing up,
disappear and leave weird traces behind them. Those are ', w, y, and sometimes n. *prs in the infinitive is parāsum,
*bn' in the infinitive is banûm from >*banā'um where the ' disappeared and the vowels elided. 3person preterite
iprus and ibnū (I think). To kill *d'k infinitive dâkum from > *da'ākum and 3ms preterite idāk from id'ak. *wšr
becomes... ašarum and in 3pms preterite ušur! from iwšur. *lw' becomes... lamûm later on, because w>m. thus 1ps
should follow the pattern (form pars̄um) aprus and therefore becomes... almē from alw?'.. to be honest that e.. I
dunno why it pops up there. It's probably from ā'i, but then where's the i from. In other words: Akkadian verbs
seem to be very regular, but, you have to keep 3000 years of phonological change in your head to understand how
they work at all, because lawûm becomes almê!

aldous
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5091 days ago

73 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 43 of 49
10 May 2012 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Hampie wrote:
Iversen wrote:
Could you explain a total novice how "LUGAL KÁ.DINĜIR.RA.KI" can look like "šar Bābilimki" when
normalized?

Cuneiform signs can have either a syllabic value, or a logographic value. When they’re used logographicly they are transcribed using the sumerian value for the sign, thus king in sumerian is lugal. King in akkadian is šarrum, and in this context it’s in the state of construct, thus it loses its case ending, and becomes šar (akkadian does not allow geminate consonants in the end of a word).

When I reread your excellent answer it struck me that the use of the Sumerian word in transcriptions of Akkadian texts could be a bad habit rather than imposed by the writing system. I assume from your answer that the phonetic value of the king-sign is derived from the Sumerian word for king, but when it is used logographically it must be a complication that you have to mix Sumerian words into your transcription.

The purpose of the transliteration is not to show what the text probably sounded like when read aloud (though it gives an approximation of that). It's so the reader can know exactly which cuneiform signs were used in the original text.

For that reason it's very important to reproduce the Sumerian readings, and to indicate them in capital letters so they look different from the Akkadian readings.

If you want to know what the text might have sounded like when written, you have to "translate" the transliteration into another text. This is called normalizing. You have to do that even if there are no Sumerian logograms, because the character-for-character transliteration of even just phonetic signs doesn't exactly represent how it sounded.

Let me show you what I mean with an example taken from Marcus's Akkadian textbook:

Transliteration:
šum-ma a-na ši-bu-ut ŠE ù KÙ.BABBAR ú-ṣí-a-am a-ra-an di-nim šu-a-ti it-ta-na-aš-ši

Normalization:
šumma ana šībūt še'im u kaspim ūṣi'am aran dīnim šu'āti ittanašši

Translation:
If he has come forward for the purpose of (false) testimony concering grain or money, he shall bear the penalty of that case.

Their phonetic signs were a syllabary with mosty CV and VC pronunciations. To represent a CVC syllable, they strung two signs together to represent that. Also, they had no way of representing long vowels, so the modern reader has to reconstruct that. In short, the transliteration is not a text to read aloud from, unless you know the language so well that you can normalize it on the fly.

Incidentally, you may have noticed the signs ù and ú. The accent marks have no pronunciation value. There are several signs that are pronounced identically, so they use accent marks to distinguish them in transliteration.

Iversen wrote:
Now the problem is: what did the Akkadians do? My guess is that they read "šar" when they saw the king-sign and decided to interpret it as a logogram. They would only use the Sumerian word if Sumerian was very much a fact of their daily life, but did the Akkadian scribes actually speak Sumerian on a daily basis?

No, they didn't speak Sumerian. Sumerian was a dead language by then. They did have manuals that gave the Sumerian and Akkadian readings for the various signs, so they knew what the Sumerian pronunciation had been (or, at least, the pronunciation that they had preserved).

You're jumping the gun by assuming they must have pronounced the signs according to whatever the corresponding Akkadian word was. I don't know what scholars in the field think about this, but it's certainly conceivable they spoke the Sumerian word when reading aloud.

Akkadian's writing system is sort of like that of Japanese. The Akkadian phonetic signs are like kana, and the Sumerian logograms are like kanji. That being the case, there's no reason to assume necessarily that they must have always given the signs native readings, since we have a living example of a literary culture (Japan) that does something much more complex than that.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6552 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 44 of 49
10 May 2012 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Thanks - your answer has cleared up the enormous difference between transliterated and normalized Akkadian texts for me. When I read old stuff in for instance Old Nordic or Latin the texts are only presented in their normalized form.

However I still doubt that the Akkadian scribes would mix old Sumerian words into the text when they read something aloud - not at least because their listeners might have problems understanding those Sumerian words. After all we all say the equivalent of 'and' in our respective languages when we see the ampersand sign & - we don't say "ampersand". The only common exception from this rule is the practice of saying "dot" in English in site addresses - but it took a 'dot com crisis' to establish that habit.

Edited by Iversen on 10 May 2012 at 10:37am

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 45 of 49
10 May 2012 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
aldous wrote:

The purpose of the transliteration is not to show what the text probably sounded like when read aloud (though it
gives an approximation of that). It's so the reader can know exactly which cuneiform signs were used in the
original text.

For that reason it's very important to reproduce the Sumerian readings, and to indicate them in capital letters so
they look different from the Akkadian readings.

If you want to know what the text might have sounded like when written, you have to "translate" the transliteration
into another text. This is called normalizing. You have to do that even if there are no Sumerian logograms, because
the character-for-character transliteration of even just phonetic signs doesn't exactly represent how it sounded.

Let me show you what I mean with an example taken from Marcus's Akkadian textbook:

Transliteration:
šum-ma a-na ši-bu-ut ŠE ù KÙ.BABBAR ú-ṣí-a-am a-ra-an di-nim šu-a-ti it-ta-na-aš-ši

Normalization:
šumma ana šībūt še'im u kaspim ūṣi'am aran dīnim šu'āti ittanašši

Translation:
If he has come forward for the purpose of (false) testimony concering grain or money, he shall bear the penalty of
that case.

Their phonetic signs were a syllabary with mosty CV and VC pronunciations. To represent a CVC syllable, they
strung two signs together to represent that. Also, they had no way of representing long vowels, so the modern
reader has to reconstruct that. In short, the transliteration is not a text to read aloud from, unless you know the
language so well that you can normalize it on the fly.

Incidentally, you may have noticed the signs ù and ú. The accent marks have no pronunciation value. There are
several signs that are pronounced identically, so they use accent marks to distinguish them in transliteration.

Iversen wrote:
Now the problem is: what did the Akkadians do? My guess is that they read "šar" when they saw
the king-sign and decided to interpret it as a logogram. They would only use the Sumerian word if Sumerian was
very much a fact of their daily life, but did the Akkadian scribes actually speak Sumerian on a daily basis?

No, they didn't speak Sumerian. Sumerian was a dead language by then. They did have manuals that gave the
Sumerian and Akkadian readings for the various signs, so they knew what the Sumerian pronunciation had been
(or, at least, the pronunciation that they had preserved).

You're jumping the gun by assuming they must have pronounced the signs according to whatever the
corresponding Akkadian word was. I don't know what scholars in the field think about this, but it's certainly
conceivable they spoke the Sumerian word when reading aloud.

Akkadian's writing system is sort of like that of Japanese. The Akkadian phonetic signs are like kana, and the
Sumerian logograms are like kanji. That being the case, there's no reason to assume necessarily that they must
have always given the signs native readings, since we have a living example of a literary culture (Japan) that does
something much more complex than that.

Well, there are many CVC-signs, so you do not have to use CV-VC all the time. As for representing long vowels:
they did that alot. They could! It's called plene writing and it was used to reduce ambiguity and sometimes when
the scribe was not lazy.

As for the readings: we know them because we have lists from old scribes. KUR ma-tum, KUR ka-ša-du-um, etc.
since Akkadian is inflecting and Sumerian is not, you would not really be able to just say kur. Besides, Akkadian do
have many Sumerian loanwords :P

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6508 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 46 of 49
12 May 2012 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
The similar look of cuneiform signs are beginning to get on my nerves. To add to this, there's also polyvalence:
thus the same sign can have multiple phonetic as well as logographic readings. *deep breath* I shall overcome
this... Wish me luck.

aldous
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5091 days ago

73 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 47 of 49
16 May 2012 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Thanks - your answer has cleared up the enormous difference between transliterated and normalized Akkadian texts for me. When I read old stuff in for instance Old Nordic or Latin the texts are only presented in their normalized form.

You make an interesting point. I think the difference is that when you study Latin, you learn the language first, and then if you're interested, you can move on to the palaeography. You don't have to. You can enjoy the language without it.

But with the cuneiform languages (correct me if I'm wrong), it seems you're expected to learn at least some palaeography at the same time you study the language. It's like making a beginning Latin student learn to read uncials and memorize medieval abbreviations.

Ebadlun
United Kingdom
Joined 4421 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 48 of 49
19 May 2012 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
Hello, I am a random passing stranger - I found your log whilst looking for Akkadian-related things generally.

I've been teaching myself Akkadian on-and-off for a year or so, inspired by a visit to the British Museum, so I was very interested to read your experiences.

I've been using Huehnegaard's book - I find it extremely concise, clear and thorough in terms of the grammar. I find it less useful when it comes to learning Cuneiform - there are far too few reading exercises, especially in the early stages.

Lesson 9 introduces 10 characters in OB, cursive and NA forms, including complex symbols like mah and la - and then gives you just two (2) lines of text to practise on! Lesson 16 introduces the first real Babylonian text - a difficult contract with many unintroduced characters, entirely inappropriate for the level the learner has reached, and a real morale-killer.

Compound characters are introduced without any mention of what their compounded from - eg LUGAL is a lot easier to learn if you already know it's made up of LU + GAL - but Huehnegaard doesn't mention that.

But all-in-all a difficult language, as are all Semitic languages. Good luck!

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version