Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
109 messages over 14 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 13 14 Next >>
sgh78
Diglot
France
Joined 4585 days ago

163 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Latin, Persian, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), German

Message 73 of 109
27 April 2012 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Report #44 : 26/04/2012

GERMAN-DEUTSCH :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh list
1..I read my list.

FARSI-فارسی :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh list
1.Like for German.

LATIN-LATINA :
Ressource used :
- The lesson 8 http://fr.wikibooks.org/wiki/Latin.
1.I started this lesson.

Report #45 : 27/04/2012

ENGLISH :
Ressource used :
- L'anglais pour les nuls (English for dummies , in French)
1.I read a part of chapitre 8.

RUSSIAN-РУССКИЙ :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh list
1.I read my list.

NORWEGIAN BOKMÅL-NORSK BOKMÅL :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh List
1.Like for Russian.

Edited by sgh78 on 27 April 2012 at 11:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4788 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 74 of 109
29 April 2012 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Hello sgh78,

welcome to the forum! It's quite an impressive list of languages you want to learn. Good luck with that. But if I may give you some advice:

I have read several of your posts and I noticed you make very many grammatical errors in English. Please don't take this the wrong way! I don't know where in your language learning carreer you are, but I assume you're right at the beginning. So, as an advice: It might be wiser to concentrate on one - and only one language - at a time and to give it all your attention.

So, instead of learning all those words in ten different languages, it might be wiser to concentrate on English grammar until you've got the 'hang' of it. Don't think of this as criticism, but rather as advice. I couldn't help but notice that you make very elementary mistakes like: "I don't learning this language", instead of: "I'm not learning this language".

People might not take you seriously when you speak and write like this and at the same time claim to be learning a dozen languages, especially at this forum. So, it might be better for your 'polyglot project' to start step by step, as Solfrid Cristina has already suggested. First of all, polish your English and then go on studying whatever you like. Learning languages is a fascinating adventure. Keep up your work!

Best wishes and bonne chance,

Josquin

Edited by Josquin on 29 April 2012 at 9:31pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

sgh78
Diglot
France
Joined 4585 days ago

163 posts - 215 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Latin, Persian, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), German

Message 75 of 109
29 April 2012 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
It's true I have a lot of problem with the English grammar , the problem is the next I can write in English but about the English grammar I know only some rules.

Examples I don't know completely certain things like :
1.When I must to write "the". I know that we must to write "the" before a form of gouvernment "the republic" a country "the France". Therefore never write "France is a republic" but "The France is a republic" or never write "French republic" but "The French republic".
2.Always write "an" before a word with a vowel in first letter therefore never write "a alphabet" but "an alphabet". Too I know the next thing never write "a" with a word with a non-pronounced H like "hour" or with a word have /j/ like first sound. But I prononce H in some words with words or H is non-pronounced.
3.Of equal "de" or "du" in French , but sometime in English we can't write this.

sgh78
Diglot
France
Joined 4585 days ago

163 posts - 215 votes 

Message 76 of 109
29 April 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Report #46 : 28/04/2012

CLASSICAL ARABIC-العربية :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh list
1.I read the wordslist.

HEBREW-עברית :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh list
1.Like for Arabic.

SPANISH-ESPAÑOL :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh list
1.Like for Arabic.

Report #47 : 29/04/2012

GERMAN-DEUTSCH :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh list
1..I read my list.

FARSI-فارسی :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh list
1.Like for German.

LATIN-LATINA :
Ressource used :
- The lesson 8 http://fr.wikibooks.org/wiki/Latin.
1.I continued this lesson.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5637 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 77 of 109
30 April 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
sgh78 wrote:
It's true I have a lot of problem with the English grammar , the problem is the next I can write in English but about the English grammar I know only some rules.

Examples I don't know completely certain things like :
1.When I must to write "the". I know that we must to write "the" before a form of gouvernment "the republic" a country "the France". Therefore never write "France is a republic" but "The France is a republic" or never write "French republic" but "The French republic".
2.Always write "an" before a word with a vowel in first letter therefore never write "a alphabet" but "an alphabet". Too I know the next thing never write "a" with a word with a non-pronounced H like "hour" or with a word have /j/ like first sound. But I prononce H in some words with words or H is non-pronounced.
3.Of equal "de" or "du" in French , but sometime in English we can't write this.

Hi sgh78, just thought I would drop in and make some comments on this post.

1. "The government" (notice the different spelling) is correct, though we also sometimes say "a government", depending on the situation. In English, we never say "the France". So your example sentences are actually backward: "France is a republic" is correct. "The France is a republic" is wrong. The rules regarding the use of articles in English can be very confusing – my best advice is just to pick them up from exposure. Read as much as you can!

2. The "a" versus "an" rule doesn't actually apply to spelling; it applies to sounds. So if the first sound in a word is a vowel sound (e.g. "old" or "hour"), use "an"; otherwise use "a".

In general, would you like corrections on your written English?

By the way, it's an impressive list of languages you're working on! I wish you all the best with your studies.
4 persons have voted this message useful

sgh78
Diglot
France
Joined 4585 days ago

163 posts - 215 votes 

Message 78 of 109
01 May 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
@Jinx Therefore if I understood about the rule with "a" and "an" have a relation with sounds and not with spelling.
About "government" word that's American spelling and "gouvernement" is British spelling.
Honestly I believe the next thing : If I begin to write with British spelling all text must to write in British spelling , because I like regularity.
I know some words with two spelling :
1.AM : Grey BR : Gray
2.AM : Jewelry BR : Jewellry
3.AM : Color BR : Colour

A correction of my English that interesting me.

@all I am delighted to receive yours impressions.

Edited by sgh78 on 01 May 2012 at 12:02am

sgh78
Diglot
France
Joined 4585 days ago

163 posts - 215 votes 

Message 79 of 109
01 May 2012 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Report #48 : 30/04/2012

ENGLISH :
Ressource used :
- L'anglais pour les nuls (English for dummies , in French)
1.I finished chapitre 8.

RUSSIAN-РУССКИЙ :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh list
1.I read my list.

NORWEGIAN BOKMÅL-NORSK BOKMÅL :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh List
1.Like for Russian.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4812 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 80 of 109
01 May 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
sgh78 wrote:

About "government" word that's American spelling and "gouvernement" is British spelling.

The British spelling of "government" is the same as the American spelling. It's always "government".
Good luck with your studies!

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 109 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version