Norway
Joined 5276 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 109
15 March 2012 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum!

I am going to give you some very good advice, and you will hate me for it, but I will give it to you anyway.

First let me tell you that I have been where you are. I am guessing that you are fairly young, and your entusiasm is running like fire in your veins right now. That is good. That is great, in fact! Motivation is a big factor in succeding. However, if you decide to learn 9 languages at the same time now, from speaking just English and French, you will fail.

So here is my advice.

1. Start with one of the languages on your list - and learn that to at the very least A2, preferably B1 before you add another language.

2. Keep the others in the back of your head, as a long term goal

3. You may nip at them when the urge comes. If you suddenly feel that you cannot live without learning the Hebrew alphabet, then do so, Just know that you will probably soon forget it, and that this is not a problem. It is just life. It will be a lot easier to learn it next time you try.

4. Once you are starting to get the hang of the first language, start using it. I have felt like king of the world because I could repeat every sentence on a CD based language course, and then when I tried to say something to a real person, I was unable to.

5. Make sure that the language you start with is not too difficult. If I had started my language learning with Russian, I would have assumed I was an idiot, and would never have learned any languages at all. Norwegian or Spanish should be pretty safe choices. (And let me know if you need any help with the Norwegian).

6. Have lots of fun!

And please let us know why you have chosen the languages you have chosen, and why you want to learn so many.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 15 March 2012 at 9:55am

15 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4958 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 109
15 March 2012 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
Solfrid pretty much said it all.
Burnout is very real and it bites. :)
On the other hand, learning RP (Received Pronunciation) was one of my goals and I seem to have made some progress. Maybe we can help each other out.
Napoleon
2 persons have voted this message useful

sgh78
Diglot
France
Joined 4583 days ago

163 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Latin, Persian, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), German

Message 11 of 109
15 March 2012 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
@HenryMW Because I love the foreign languages.
1.ENGLISH :
1.It's a language very speak around the world use in the international communication. (But if possible I prefer to communicate with the others people in theirs languages or my language , like I find this English very poor to say certain things [feeling and others things] example tear became drop for eyes , I speak of the Globish of course.
2.I love the idiomatic expressions like "It's raining cat and dog" because I find that , so so funny like each languages have a different meaning of say a idea , in French we say "Il pleut des cordes" the translation word to word is "It's raining ropes".
3.I like the irregularity of the English language examples : The pronunciation of "word" and "sword" , the three sounds of the TH like "those" , "thing" and "thai".

2.NORWEGIAN BOKMÅL :
1.I have a interest about the Germanic languages.
2.I have a interest about the Scandinavian languages.
3.I read on internet that , it's the more easy Scandinavian languages for a French speaker.

3.SPANISH :
1.I have a interest about the romance languages.
2.A lot of Spanish words have a common root with the French words like "fleur" in French and "flor" in Spanish (flower in English).
3.I found a book about this language more quickly and cheap.

4.RUSSIAN :
1.I have a interest about the Slavic languages.
2.The Russian is the Slavic languages the more spoken in the world.
3.The Cyrillic alphabet had attired me.

5.CLASSICAL ARABIC :
1.I know some Arabic speakers.
2.This language with these strong sounds for me (r trill , emphatic sounds , dental fricative like in English) had attired me.
3.Same than 2 about the writing system.

6.HEBREW :
1.It is a language in Semitic language category like the Arabic.
2.It's a old language.
3.The Hebrew alphabet.

7.GERMAN :
1.I have a interest about the Germanic languages.
2.The grammar of this language is considered as difficult.
3.This languages is very spoken in Europe.

8.FARSI :
1.This languages is a Indo-European who use a alphabet similar to the Arabic alphabet.
2.We find a lot of words with a common root in others languages exemple the Farsi word
مادر or in phonetic transcription mâdar , "madre" in Spanish , "mutter" in German , "mor" in Norwegian bokmål , "mother" in English , "mère" in French etc...
3.It's the first Indo-Iranian what I learn.

9.LATIN :
1.I love the old languages.
2.It is the mother of all the romance languages.
3.It's not speak in the life of all day.

I needed to did a selection as there are more reasons in all the languages.

@Solfrid Cristin
Tell me more about your methods , I find always that the methods of languages learning of others people are interesting.

@napoleon
Good luck for yours goals !

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5276 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 109
15 March 2012 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
sgh78 wrote:

@Solfrid Cristin
Tell me more about your methods , I find always that the methods of languages learning of others people are interesting.

My only really succesful method was total immersion as a child. Everything else has been just fooling around, with dubious results:-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

manish
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5488 days ago

88 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 109
15 March 2012 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

My only really succesful method was total immersion as a child.

If it wouldn't have been for this method, I would be monolingual today :D

sgh78
Diglot
France
Joined 4583 days ago

163 posts - 215 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Latin, Persian, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), German

Message 14 of 109
16 March 2012 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
@Solfrid Cristin
Therefore if I understand you are go in the country when the language is speak or you practice the shadowing about the pronunciation etc...

sgh78
Diglot
France
Joined 4583 days ago

163 posts - 215 votes 

Message 15 of 109
16 March 2012 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Report #2 : 03/15/2012

CLASSICAL ARABIC-العربية :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh List
1.I read a part of the word-list like today I desired read the words already know.

HEBREW-עברית :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh List
1.I read a part of the word-list like today I desired read the words already know.

SPANISH-ESPAÑOL :
Ressource used :
- Swadesh List
1.I learned some news words with the pronunciation (caminar [To walk] , venir [To come] , volar [To fly] , cazar [To hunt] and apuñalar [To stab]).

HenryMW
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5116 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 16 of 109
16 March 2012 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the answer. I certainly wish you good luck.

This discussion contains 109 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version