United States
Joined 4664 days ago

65 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 9 of 13
25 April 2012 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
FR
Bonjour (ou bien bonsoir) à tous, je me rend compte que il nous reste très peu du temps avant le premier mai.
Donné que je veux bien augmenter mon vocabulaire en français, je commence de prendre les notes des mots de
vocabulaire en lisant. J'espère pouvoir apprendre 100 mots avant cette date-là.

Ces derniers jours j'ai pu écouter quelques podcasts - Thing in a French Day, Cultivate your French ( de Laetitia !
) Radio Télévision Suisse, et la Revue de presse française ( qui parle toujours de la politique parce qu'il est le
temps des élections en France. ) J'ai lu malheureusement très peu en français, seulement la troisième partie
d'Hiroshima mon amour ce soir. Mais, ce disant, j'ai pris des notes sur ces pages et j'ai appris pas mal de
nouveaux mots -

Vocabulaire - Hiroshima mon amour, 3e partie
FR - EN
banderole f. - pennant, streamer, strap
pancarte f. - placard, poster, sign
machiniste m. - (théâtre) stagehand
tribune f. - rostrum, tribune, gallery, grandstand
édifer vt. - to edify, inform, enlighten, construct, build, found

appesantir vt. - to weigh down, slow down, make heavier
maquette f. - model, dummy, rough sketch
invalide (de guerre) disabled veteran
tenue f. - holding, upkeep, costume (MANY others)
quêter vt. - to beg our fish for, hunt, collect

à (toute) force - at all costs
farder vt. - to make up (an actor) disguise the truth (I LOVE this verb!)
veille f. - watch, vigil, wakefulness
licencieux, -euse, adj. - licentious
à son insu - known to (him, her)

perler vt. - to pearl, do to perfection, vi. - to form beads
char m. - chariot, float, tank
corsage m. - blouse, bodice, corsage, waist (archaic - bust)
colombe f. - dove
spolier vt. - to despoil

store m. - blind, window awning, outside window shade
aubaine f. - windfall, godsend, bonanza
aparté m. - stage whisper, aside (en aparté - privately)
comblé adj.- heaped up, full to the brim, overwhelmed
peuplier m. - poplar

enchaînement m. - chaining up, chain, sequence
effrayer vt. to frighten, vr. to be frightened.

Voilà, j'ai lu aussi quelques pages de Cassell's Colloquial French, mais ce n'est pas grand chose.

IT
Ho fatto i miei compiti Italiani ieri sera. L'ho messi sopra lang-8.com, ho fatto tanti sbagli! Maledizione! Avra
bisogno di studiare la forma di scrivere una lettera in Italiano. Ma bene, anche devo dire che non l'ha studiato
molto, tuttavia sono un iniziante. Grazie di avere letto il mio giornale!

Edited by Alanjazz on 25 April 2012 at 11:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Alanjazz
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4664 days ago

65 posts - 129 votes 

Message 10 of 13
05 May 2012 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
EN
It's been two weeks since I posted here! Far too long! The usual suspect - I have been busy with more working
hours at a challenging time of transition in my workplace. I have, however, also been wrapping up my month of
French (while still making time for a bit of Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt on the side).

I prematurely (by a few days) ended the language project for the month of April (French with Spanish sub-focus)
and have opted for a few reasons to change my focus language of the month of May to Italian. Why? In Italian
class a week and a day ago, I felt genuinely frustrated. I expected learn how to speak Italian (arrogantly, I now
see) on a basic level in around a month or two with limited studying. Experience is proving that it is going to take
much longer to speak even partially as well as my weakest fluent/conversationally strong (I don't like either of
those terms, but so be it) language, Spanish. So, I want to bring my Italian up to speed and be able to follow and
participate meaningfully in basic conversations. To achieve this, I have been working on a Teach-Yourself style
book and recently learned the Imperfect and Past Progressive tenses. I have also decided to do a sort of film
mini-challenge for the month of May. I am using Netflix to see Italian films. I have decided the accent focus will
be a Northern Italian one, so I will prefer watching films from the north over those from the south.

In the past week, I have watched and taken extensive dialogue notes on:
The Double Hour, The Story of a Love Affair, Mafioso, Come Undone, and Days and Clouds. On weekends, I will
try to watch at least 2 films a day/evening (with notes for all of them to learn the colloquial language.) My goal is
20 films by the end of May. So, 15 left to see! I think it is feasible and will be rewarding!

Italian is important for me to have at a high level for the grad school program I want to do as well as for reading
purposes. I have decided I want my level of Italian, in the end, to be as high as possible, on the same level as my
French and Spanish.

Goals: As high a level of Italian as possible by the end of the month of May. Realistically, it will probably be
around an A2. Who knows? B1 even? Maybe. It is quite related to French and Spanish so there I am at an
advantage. My level had improved significantly over the course of the past week, from the point where I was
frustrated in class, to the next class being able to contribute to the conversation (albeit while making many errors
and forgetting some basic words). I want to finish the TY-style book within 2 weeks (there are 7 chapters left in a
20-chapter book) work more with the leveled reader I found and hopefully buy and work on others. I know that I
need to drastically expand my vocabulary. If you have any suggestions for leveled readers or simple books in
Italian, please note them here.

I barely made any time for Spanish in April because I was so focused on Hiroshima mon amour and the ancient
French history and civilization textbook... this summer, I plan on extensively focusing on Russian, so I am not
sure when I will be making a lot of time for Spanish next. Hopefully I can convince my Ecuadorian coworker to
occasionally speak to me in Spanish this summer.

IT
È stato veramente un piacere migliorare il mio Italiano. Ho apprezzato la classe scorsa più di quelle di avanti,
perché ho potuto dire più cose. Soprattutto è interessante provare parlare con i altri studenti. Abbiamo parlato
dei casalinghi in Italia, e come la situazione domestica sta cambiando verso un porcentuale più elevato dei
uomini che rimangono in casa e chi fanno il bucato, che spazzavano e prendere cura dei bambini. Ho detto che
qui negli Stati Uniti, ci sono di più in più (more and more?) uomini che lavorano così. Che nè dice Lei?

(Sorry if this is terribly worded and borrows a lot from English or French phrasing.)

Itikar
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4518 days ago

94 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: Italian*

Message 11 of 13
05 May 2012 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
It is nice to see a foreigner with such a good attitude toward Dante's tongue. :)
Your choice of a North Italian accent is wise since therefore you can ignore gemination and there is very limited use of simple past in the spoken.
Be advised however that even Italian anchors and actors "from the north" often use a standardised neuter pronunciation based on Tuscan.

Let me give you some tips:
a)"ho apprezzato" is a way a bit formal to phrase that, the most common way to say I like is "mi piace". I.e. "mi piace la pizza". It is like the French "la pizza me plaît" or also the Russian "мне нравится пицца".
b)"de plus en plus" --> "sempre più". I.e "Qui negli Stati Uniti ci sono sempre più uomini che..."
c)"ne" partitive pronoun has no graphical stress, "né" is a conjunction (like nor...neither). And besides allocutive there wasn't so good. Better a generic second person: "Che ne dite?" (What do (you) say of that?)
d)National adjectives in Italian do not have capital initials: Italiani, inglesi, tedeschi, americani, ecc. (I am aware the forum unfortunately puts capital letters on its own :/)

Complimenti per il Suo Italiano e buono studio. :)

Alanjazz
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4664 days ago

65 posts - 129 votes 

Message 12 of 13
05 May 2012 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Itikar, grazie mille per la correzione ed i complimenti!

Alanjazz
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4664 days ago

65 posts - 129 votes 

Message 13 of 13
02 June 2012 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
IT
Già un mese fa! Non posso credere! In somma, sì, ho imparato molto Italiano, ma sfortunatamente non ho fatto
tutto che volevo fare. I compiti per il corso sono diventati noiosi e monotoni, anche i film Italiani che guardavo
non sono stati interessanti, purtroppo.

Malgrado questo, ho incontrato qualche libri molto utili. Soprattutto, mi piace 'Read and Think in Italian.' È un
libro che ha articoli che si trattano dei soggetti diversi, dal arte alle tradizioni, dalla gastronomia alla letteratura.
Quello che mi piace tanto è che c'è una lista di vocabolario ai lati delle pagine. Con quel libro ho imparato tante
cose!

Grazie mille di leggere questo registro.

ES
Puesto que hace algunos meses que no estudio castellano, voy a estudiarlo intensivamente todo este junio. Siguo
con un poco de Italiano pero pararé despues el 7.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version