Necronos
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 31
17 April 2012 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
I just finished Lesson 13 on Pimsleur Spanish I. I think following along with the
transcript was a good decision, I'm not struggling to recall a world later in the lesson
after I have seen how it looks.

I also went over the transcript for Lesson 12 this evening. I thought it would be faster
than listening to the audio but it turned out to take the same time. I guess I won't be
saving time doing it this way, but at least I can put the transcript down when I'm
disturbed by others.

It was nice that Lesson 13 introduced more ways to say the time, I need to just learn all
the vocab. for time since I'll be able to use it so much at work.
1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4871 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 10 of 31
17 April 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
I definitely think going over a transcript is worth while. I would have learnt things a
lot quicker had I glanced at one occasionally. For example I thought that the phrase "
me ha dicho" was something like "maya dicho", which confused me no end.

So I wasted months by not learning an essential part of Spanish grammar upfront.

Gatsby42
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4490 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 

Message 11 of 31
17 April 2012 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Interesting. I haven't needed a transcript for Pimsleur so far since mostly everything
has been review(save for a couple words), but I suppose it would be handy when the
material starts to go past my current level.

Where does one find a transcript?

Necronos
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes

Message 12 of 31
17 April 2012 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
The transcripts are really helping me connect with how words are spelled, and should help
me when I start reading more in Spanish. It is making reviewing past lessons a lot easier
too.

@Gatsby42 if you PM me your email address then I can send you the transcripts that I have

Necronos
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes

Message 13 of 31
20 April 2012 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
In the last two days I spent 1 hour each with Lesson 14 and with Lesson 15. I have to
admit that I'm beginning to get a little bored with Pimsleur at the moment, and so
rather than slogging thought the rest of Spanish I, I'm going to take a break and
switch to Michel Thomas's Foundation Spanish.

I was planning on pushing through with all of Spanish I before May 1st but I wasn't
enjoying it as much as I once was. I wasn't as focused as I could have been during
Lesson 15, even when I repeated it today I was still having some difficulty being
attentive. Rather than let my studies slide, I'll take a change of scenery and try
Michel Thomas.

It was a toss up between trying Michel Thomas or Paul Noble next. Since most people
feel that Noble ripped off Thomas, I figured I owed it to Thomas to do his course
first!

Cool moment with Spanish - I have now the ability to say the time using military
format, and I've been taking every chance that I can both last night and today!

Necronos
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes

Message 14 of 31
21 April 2012 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
Wow! I just finished the first CD on Michel Thomas Spanish Foundation and I'm loving it.
MT's approach is clicking with me and I'm already feeling the gears finally align in my
head. So much has just come together in that 1 hour that I'm completely dumb struck.

I can't wait to dive into the 2nd CD tomorrow. I plan on doing a CD a day for the
complete Foundation course and then repeating it, probably at a faster pace. I'm not too
fond of MT's slurpy voice, and the dumb student is so DUMB, but the method is so
completely FANTASTIC I can't help but to love it all.

Necronos
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes

Message 15 of 31
22 April 2012 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
I finished the 2nd CD of MT Foundation, and since I'm earlier than usual, I'm really
tempted to start the 3rd CD. Hopefully I can put off that temptation and work through the
booklet to hammer home what I've learned so far in the first 2 CD's.

There is a lot of information crammed into such a small period of time, I'm thinking I
could really benefit from drilling it so I can get more comfortable and get my recall,
and my ability to speak the new phrases and such, faster.

Necronos
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes

Message 16 of 31
22 April 2012 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
I found a copy of 'Spanish for Reading', and I've started going though it tonight.
Granted, I was sitting in front of the TV while going through the
introduction/pronunciation/cognates section (it was my wife's shows, so I wasn't too
distracted from the text!), but it does seem to offer something that I was worried I
wouldn't get as well as I wanted from the courses that I am currently working through.
(Michel Thomas, Pimsleur)

With the Super Challenge approaching, I was looking for reading material that I could
start reading and working through, but the idea of using a dictionary for almost every
sentence is just frustrating. I've found plenty of material at the library, and
downloaded some free Spanish texts to my Kindle, so now I'm only lacking in the reading
department. Hopefully the couple of weeks/months it takes me to get through 'Spanish
for Reading' will give me the ability that I need.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version